Testing Chat IV: A New Hope

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Oxymoron

Re: Testing Chat IV: A New Hope

#2276 Post by Oxymoron »

Spoiler :
They already tried nuking the rift in the past, but it didn't work then. The only reason why the Marshal gave the order to try once again was because the UN had decided to shut down down the whole Jaeger program. Him giving the order for this mission, just after having lost two jaegers in a battle to defend Hong Kong, was basically one last fuck you to both the Kaiju and the UN ("Today, to the edge of our hope [...] we are cancelling the Apocalypse !").

The only reason why nuking the rift worked this time and not before, was because one of the scientist was insane enough to "drift" (the term used for the memory binding thing Jaeger pilots do) with the brain of a Kaiju, and discovered why it didn't work the first time : the rift, a device created by the aliens on the other side using the kaiju as living weapons against Earth, scan what transit through it, and only let things bearing the "signature" of a kaiju through. As the first bomb didn't bear that signature, it got rejected.

So this time they had a battle against kaijus just around / over the rift, gipsy danger took one in its embrace, dragging it with itself through the rift, and on the other side detonated its own nuclear reactor, closing the rift.
Short answer : they tried nuking it already, it didn't work then, and only worked in the end through a plot miracle.
No.

evilsoup

#2277 Post by evilsoup »

aww man I'm watching Jonah Hex on the teevee
he has a pair of miniguns attached to his horse
this is the best western I've ever seen

RogueIce
#YOLO

#2278 Post by RogueIce »

evilsoup wrote:it's currently the hottest week on record
I've heard a South African complaining that 'argh if I wanted this weather I would have stayed at home'
anyway a run of weather like this doesn't come along very often here, so I've got to make the most of it
So your pale body will be slightly less pale now?

evilsoup

#2279 Post by evilsoup »

exactly

evilsoup

#2280 Post by evilsoup »

oh wow now he's shooting dynamite out of a pair of crossbows

RogueIce
#YOLO

#2281 Post by RogueIce »

enjoy your melanoma :sun:

Glass Fort MacLeod
Fuckin' New Guy

#2282 Post by Glass Fort MacLeod »

Oxymoron wrote:Too bad Stark isn't here. I would like him to tell me why and how it was actually bad / disappointing.
If you want I can always ask him his opinion via email and pm it to you. lol.

Plus when it comes to robots Japan is superior, because they treat them like space fighters rather than tanks :P

Crazedwraith

#2283 Post by Crazedwraith »

I've heard a South African complaining that 'argh if I wanted this weather I would have stayed at home'
anyway a run of weather like this doesn't come along very often here, so I've got to make the most of it
by make the most of it do you mean, hide inside in the coolest room in the house and hope the burning eye will go away precious.

Because that has been my strategy.
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#2284 Post by Bakustra »

Oxymoron wrote:Saw Pacific Rim.

Not bad. A good movie overall, I'd say.

Too bad Stark isn't here. I would like him to tell me why and how it was actually bad / disappointing.
pacific rim is totally a movie about global warming, and so the ending is kinda hilarious in that regard but also p cool. it's also i guess something of a bold statement to have russia and china collaborating with the developed nations, and the supplemental material adds peruvian, mexican and panamanian jaegers, for a genuinely multinational environmental effort. also, i like the de-militarization of the giant robots and overall collectivism present in the film. del toro's anarchic sentiments are fairly unsurprising.

edit:
also, lobbing a nuke wouldn't work because there's no sacrifice. ultimately, gipsy danger must sacrifice herself to close the rift and defeat global warming/aliens
edit2: of course, making the direct action massive robots lends a disturbingly capitalistic tone, and there's some pretty odd overtones with all the kaiju being female/feminine

Losonti Tokash

#2285 Post by Losonti Tokash »

i dunno baks, i feel one of the kaiju having a gigantic phallus for a head isn't that feminine

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#2286 Post by Bakustra »

Losonti Tokash wrote:i dunno baks, i feel one of the kaiju having a gigantic phallus for a head isn't that feminine
rinko kikuchi ends up killing a kaiju with a, crudely speaking, hate-boner, and all of them have prominent labial features. this film is quite willing to incorporate intersexuality.

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#2287 Post by Darksi4190 »

Man can you guys wait until after I've seen the movie to talk about that shit?

You're killing my interest in seeing it

phongn

#2288 Post by phongn »

Bakustra wrote:
Losonti Tokash wrote:i dunno baks, i feel one of the kaiju having a gigantic phallus for a head isn't that feminine
rinko kikuchi ends up killing a kaiju with a, crudely speaking, hate-boner, and all of them have prominent labial features. this film is quite willing to incorporate intersexuality.
I normally don't really put much credulity to subtext (I much prefer WYSIWYG, as it were), but, the sword even started flaccid.

timmy

#2289 Post by timmy »

God damn son, you're right :psyduck:
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

Losonti Tokash

#2290 Post by Losonti Tokash »

goddamn that's amazing

Veef

#2291 Post by Veef »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=s2CiX6ArmsQ

Mako probably watched this and was like we need a sword button too

timmy

#2292 Post by timmy »

That needs more seagull, I fear.
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

Veef

#2293 Post by Veef »

that show also had a robot with a spinning sword blade. pretty dope

but really it's a show about higher sci-fi ideas like what a person exiled from a emotional dead utopia would do in a medieval world and how he'd try to change things (and steal a kid's mom because of her huge tracks of land)

Djinnkitty83

#2294 Post by Djinnkitty83 »

I live in Chicago, last year people I knew in the southwest US tried the whole, "Quit complaining about the heat, you don't know what real heat is" schtick.

My reply was, "Our streets are melting, your argument is invalid."

On a related note, perhaps it wasn't the greatest idea in the world to take about two dozen rambunctious dogs on back-to-back powerwalks on the hottest, most humid afternoon in the history of ever.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#2295 Post by RogueIce »

I actually saw the tar melting on time in Virginia. Crazy shit. It was back in the 90s though. Everything was crazier then.

And I don't do the whole "haha you can't handle the real heat :smug: " nonsense. I mean I hated that shit once when visiting my cousins in NE during one really hot July 4th weekend, and they were all "you're from Florida, you should be used to this" and I was all "fuck that shit we have central air conditioning and you don't" because that's our secret, you see.

Sadly not everywhere can be as civilized as Florida. :failure:

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#2296 Post by adr »

so with it still being in the high 80's even at night and me being pretty hard of sleeping when it is like this, i decided to pull that air conditioner out of the basement bin and put it in the window for the first time ever (a buddy dropped it off to me last year, he got it from a job who wasn't using it anymore and he already had one so he gave it here, but i've never used an a/c before and last year wasn't even that spectacular so i saw no need to start then, so i just put it in a plastic bin and saved it for later)

i didn't like bleach it or anything. idk if you're even supposed to ...but now i'm convinced i have picked up legionaires disease or something in the last hour or so of running this thing. the air feels weird

on the bright side, the temperature in the bedroom is now down to 78. my plan is to run it for about another half hour then turn it off and switch to the regular fan for the overnight (air conditioners are massive energy hogs, so i def don't wanna run it all night)

god willing, i'll sleep a lil better tonight

....then tomorrow i'll wanna get it out of the window again so i can open it normally again! this damned thing is one heavy box tho, so totes looking forward to the t'storms the weather guys promise tomorrow night that will come with a cold front. you see i like my open windows most the time, but i can't sleep unless im wrapped up in something so the colder the better for nights

in winter i leave my heat right off and wrap up in five blankets, covering everything but a little air hole (if i close my face in entirely i'm convinced i'm breathing carbon dioxide and must escape, but if i don't cover my ears they will freeze, so the blankets wrap around like hoods)

it is glorious

until i have to wake up. move the blanket and it admits literally freezing (well, one night, usually tho it doesn't actually fall far below 40 degrees fahrenheit) so yeah i don't want to leave my cocoon
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#2297 Post by Darksi4190 »

Well Shit

My friends and I were talking about how when Detroit finally collapses, it's going to drag all of the surrounding cities and suburbs with it into the pit. I suppose it's begun then. There goes the state.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#2298 Post by RogueIce »

Don't worry dude, OCP Google will buy up the city's debt and then they'll build Robocop and everything will work out in the end.

Oxymoron

#2299 Post by Oxymoron »

Baks, can you develop your thoughts about capitalistic overtone, plz ?
No.

evilsoup

#2300 Post by evilsoup »

could you please do it over here so I don't have to keep resisting clicking on the spoilers