#29 Post by Aaron »

Was for adr

adr-admin
Site Admin

Re: Goddamned Denverites

#30 Post by adr-admin »

yea

on one hand here i have a check for $165 which is useful

but on the other hand i gave her a check for $300 three years ago and then spent 5 additional hours after moving out doing the list of cleaning she asked for (which i told her was unreasonable anyway. "clorox wipe the baseboards" are you fucking kidding me?
"The resident agrees, upon termination of residency that the apartment will be in the same Broom clean and operational condition as when the resident moved in."

technically i should have sprinkled mold and cigarette ashes over everything instead of cleaning to be in compliance with that

but i did wipe the baseboards.... and now she thanks me with this bill for bleach and $25 / hour * 5 hours of cleaning)

so i'm not happy one bit

Losonti Tokash

#31 Post by Losonti Tokash »

adr is a freedom fighter for renter's rights everywhere

do not go gently into that sweet apartment

adr-admin
Site Admin

#32 Post by adr-admin »

it just pisses me off

if i knew she was going to bill me anyway, i wouldn't have spent that sunday afternoon in there doing it

and she's also including "cleaned the carpet" in there

a week before i left, i walked through with her, and pointed out one specific part on the carpet where i did damage it (well, it was my mouse friend, but my responsibility anyway i figure)

and she said "don't worry about it, these needed to be replaced before you moved in anyway"

so i didn't worry about it

and now here's a bill for shampooing the carpets

god fucking damn it

but i don't have this in writing....... anyway though i wonder how much a 15 minute consultation with a lawyer will cost

i betcha it'll be like $50

ugh

Oxymoron

#33 Post by Oxymoron »

Justice ain't free, they say

well, see that for yourself
No.

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#34 Post by Phantasee »

As a landlord I hated other landlords that pulled that shit

Like the shitty tenants, fuck them and their damage deposits

But if someone actually cleaned the place up nice? Ye least I could do is give them their deposit back as quick as possible.

It's a stressful business tho.
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

adr-admin
Site Admin

#35 Post by adr-admin »

god damn it, it has been 3 weeks and the electricity is still in my name too

when i asked them to switch that out, they said they can't put it in her name unless she calls, and they can't just turn it off adn take it out of my name unless they can get access to the meter...

which is locked in the basement and i never had a key to it.

i'm just so angry with all this

this is the #1 reason why i decided to buy btw: now i only have to deal with myself

adr-admin
Site Admin

#36 Post by adr-admin »

so my dad said i should stand my ground on the power till that's done

but probably just give up on the security deposit because even if i win (which is by no means guaranteed) i'll lose cuz of the hassle it will be

but you what that kinda makes me even madder

maybe the justice lady should trade in her blindfold for a money calculator

it'd be a ltitle more realistic hten

adr-admin
Site Admin

#37 Post by adr-admin »

omg omg omg i got another letter too

this time a hyper personalized note from a very important fellow
The White House, Washington

July 11, 2012

Dear Adam:

Thank you for taking the time to share your views. I have heard from many Americans regarding Iran, and I appreciate your perspective.

I am committed to making my Administration the most open and transparent in history, and part of delivering on that promise is hearing from people like you. I take seriously your opinions and respect your point of view on this important foreign policy matter. Please know that your concerns will be on my mind in the days ahead.

Thank you again for writing. I encourage you to visit http://www.WhiteHouse.gov to learn more about my Administration or to contact me in the future.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama

this level of astonishing detail explains why it took a month to get a reply

Losonti Tokash

#38 Post by Losonti Tokash »

my god that's amazing

Crazedwraith

#39 Post by Crazedwraith »

you seriously expected anything more?
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

adr-admin
Site Admin

#40 Post by adr-admin »

of course not

but i did expect if it was going to be such a trivial letter it would have come faster

like instantly since i picked "Foreign Policy" from a list so a computer oculd have plugged that into the form

and "Iran" might have been in the list too.... but i don't recall, anyway tho it is easy enough a computer oculd have pulled that out as a keyword as well

basically if it is going to be a form letter i would have expected it to come back quickly since it could be an automatic response

so when i got nothing after the first couple days i didn't expect anything at all

Darth Fanboy
has no method to his madness.

#41 Post by Darth Fanboy »

The President has a lot of form letters to fill out, who knew?

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#42 Post by Phantasee »

"Fuck, I could solve all these problems, if it wasn't for all these damn letters! And they all end up sounding the same, I wish I could just make it into some kind of generic template to save time for real problems, like what colour stitching to get on the new Marine One seats, or what to serve for dessert when Hollande comes for a State Dinner. I wonder if he's allergic to nuts?"

Sincerely,

Barack HUSSEIN Obama
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

Jung

Re: Bitching and whining

#43 Post by Jung »

Linked in that Daniel Tosh thread on SDN, I found this bit interesting:

http://oforganon.tumblr.com/post/111507 ... okes-are-a
A lot of people accuse feminists of thinking that all men are rapists. That’s not true. But do you know who think all men are rapists?

Rapists do.

They really do. In psychological study, the profiling, the studies, it comes out again and again.

Virtually all rapists genuinely believe that all men rape, and other men just keep it hushed up better.
I remember a thread on SB.com where somebody asked if the Dunning-Kruger effect might apply to morality

And I thought I wouldn't be too surprised if something vaguely analagous is indeed the case - assholes believe everyone is like they are, except maybe more restrained by cowardice or weakness, and process the world through that view; when a non-asshole tells them to stop being an asshole what they see is a hypocrite, a coward, or a sheep trying to convince a wolf to go vegetarian.

Aaron
El Duderino

#44 Post by Aaron »

That thread resulted in my learning about rape culture. So i now have even less respect for humanity then i did six hours ago.

Losonti Tokash

#45 Post by Losonti Tokash »

i don't think "rape culture" refers to like a specific subculture but more to how it's treated in media and entertainment

lots of stuff normalizes rape without deliberately endorsing it

Aaron
El Duderino

#46 Post by Aaron »

Yeah, i pmed Serfina to ask about it.

Akhlut

#47 Post by Akhlut »

adr wrote:this level of astonishing detail explains why it took a month to get a reply
You sent a letter to literally one of the most famous, if not the most famous, person on earth.

I'd be surprised you got a form letter and not just a postcard of his smiling face.

xon

Re: A New Dawn

#48 Post by xon »

Aaron wrote:Our search works, right?
Yup. Isn't going to be a problem for a long time to come.

Amusingly, the thread with ~10000 replies was actually starting to cause the SQL server to take almost a second due to counting every post before the post you are viewing so it can do pagination. Throwing more memory, and disk IO would probably solve that if it actually becomes an issue.
Last edited by xon on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Akhlut

Re: A New Dawn

#49 Post by Akhlut »

xon wrote:
Aaron wrote:Our search works, right?
Yup. Isn't going to be a problem for a long time to come.
We've always been at war with Eastasia.

Zablorg
Baron of the Burrito

#50 Post by Zablorg »

Aaron wrote:That thread resulted in my learning about rape culture. So i now have even less respect for humanity then i did six hours ago.
well hey now i feel good for saving those studies ya know

anyway i am sort of employed by the university right now

i was given 20 hours to go through this internet accessible electronics testing gizmo for students (they've had trouble with the program in other fields previously)

it was not especially difficult and i got it done in 14 hours and provided feedback and it was implied the guy wanted me to use the other 6 hours too

but on the email contact side of things he seems to have vanished off the face of the earth

this would not ordinarily be a problem but he sort of set a time frame of two weeks on the task

and while i have done the stuff in this timeframe, the two weeks end this week

now i am feeling all sorts of anxious whether i should go over the stuff again in the next 6 hours or wait for the guy to show up and implement the feedback and go over it next week or whenever he shows up

blaaaargh