generic vidja gaems

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
RyanThunder
Knows Best

Re: generic vidja gaems

#301 Post by RyanThunder »

Djinnkitty83 wrote:
RyanThunder wrote:Fair enough.
Sadly it was more directed at Ford than you. You're at least giving a reason why you're not happy with it, Ford's devolved to the point of being the angry kid in the corner looking petulant and going, "Well it sucks, you guys."
Well I actually have no opinion either way since I haven't played any of those games yet. I've just seen what I described happen, and assumed Ford's gripe was similar. I either didn't notice or just forgot that it'd been seen through already, so in hindsight, this may not have been a good idea. :lol:

Agent Bert Macklin

#302 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Oxymoron wrote:
Negative Knub wrote:More games like Heavy Rain, please. It's an interactive version of Se7en and there's no doubt in my mind that some of the game's aspects are direct homages (an entire city defined by depressing climate and near replication of the score). What a game.
In which way(s) does it compare to Se7en ? I have only seen a few extracts from Heavy Rain, so I don't really know much about it apart from "guy lose his kid, and his world falls apart as a result" ; and it's been years since I watched Se7en.
I mentioned two already, but it has the same brooding and depressed atmosphere. The city is its own character in the game, just like it is in Se7en. It's not a place you want to be. Every character you come across has some fucked up past or has something horrible happen to them. Think every character in Se7en.

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#303 Post by RyanThunder »

Whoever thought that was a clever way to spell Seven should be shot. :smugissar:

Djinnkitty83

#304 Post by Djinnkitty83 »

What do you have against Sesevenen? I bet you're also the type who didn't like the most recent installment in the Micheal Myers horror/slasher franchise, Halloween Water. :lol:

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#305 Post by RyanThunder »

Probably. :lol:

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#306 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

Djinnkitty83 wrote:Ford's devolved to the point of being the angry kid in the corner looking petulant and going, "Well it sucks, you guys."
It's cute how you keep trying to pretend that you're actually being totally objective and aren't the angry fanboy in this situation, despite it being you who took the opportunity to 'demonstrate' how the previous games are 'guilty' of the same things that a guy like Manus is complaining about. And, in fact, it's kind of funny how you attempt to portray yourself in this way despite all that predictable well poisoning you tried earlier in the thread.

Flagg

#307 Post by Flagg »

F.J. Prefect, Esq wrote:
Djinnkitty83 wrote:Ford's devolved to the point of being the angry kid in the corner looking petulant and going, "Well it sucks, you guys."
It's cute how you keep trying to pretend that you're actually being totally objective and aren't the angry fanboy in this situation, despite it being you who took the opportunity to 'demonstrate' how the previous games are 'guilty' of the same things that a guy like Manus is complaining about. And, in fact, it's kind of funny how you attempt to portray yourself in this way despite all that predictable well poisoning you tried earlier in the thread.
Be careful you might get put on ignore. :fukyu:
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Aaron
El Duderino

#308 Post by Aaron »

Negative Knub wrote:
Oxymoron wrote:
Negative Knub wrote:More games like Heavy Rain, please. It's an interactive version of Se7en and there's no doubt in my mind that some of the game's aspects are direct homages (an entire city defined by depressing climate and near replication of the score). What a game.
In which way(s) does it compare to Se7en ? I have only seen a few extracts from Heavy Rain, so I don't really know much about it apart from "guy lose his kid, and his world falls apart as a result" ; and it's been years since I watched Se7en.
I mentioned two already, but it has the same brooding and depressed atmosphere. The city is its own character in the game, just like it is in Se7en. It's not a place you want to be. Every character you come across has some fucked up past or has something horrible happen to them. Think every character in Se7en.
Which ending did you get?

Agent Bert Macklin

#309 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

I'm still playing.

Agent Bert Macklin

#310 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

I'm doing my best to let the kid die so I can get some sad shit ending.

Aaron
El Duderino

#311 Post by Aaron »

:lol:

Djinnkitty83

#312 Post by Djinnkitty83 »

Brushing Ford's whining aside, even if you love the new DmC, don't get the "Chronicles of Vergil" comic they're offering with it. It sucks, big time. In this case I'm really hoping Capcom listens to the reactions of angry people can elects to brush the comic into the corner as one of those things that 'never happened', because it's nothing more than mediocre art and soulless fanservice to those who wanted to see Vergil 'officially' shipped with Kat, which pretty much shits over all his characterization in both the new and old games.

Losonti Tokash

#313 Post by Losonti Tokash »

Has there ever in the history of time been a good comic tie in to a video game

Djinnkitty83

#314 Post by Djinnkitty83 »

Losonti Tokash wrote:Has there ever in the history of time been a good comic tie in to a video game
Yes.

joviwan

#315 Post by joviwan »

I like the PA companion comics they sometimes get commissioned to do.

Stofsk

#316 Post by Stofsk »

I have yet to read or watch any video game tie-in media that didn't suck.

Witcher doesn't count, as technically it was a series of books before it was a series of video games.

weemadando

#317 Post by weemadando »

Mass Effect books have occasionally been interesting.

Splinter Cell books were hilariously bad.

Trying to think of other tie ins I've bothered with.

Wouldn't mind reading the Battlefield 3 book. But I would probably regret that.

Stofsk

#318 Post by Stofsk »

The Mass Effect books varied from 'ok' to 'terribad'. In general, the first book - the one that went into Saren's history with Anderson, and how Sovereign was 'found' by the former - was ok. The next couple of books carried on the whole 'lol let's make Cerberus out to be Space Al'Qaeda!' thing which, well, should have signaled to me some warning signs. The comics by Mac Walters were even worse.

weemadando

#319 Post by weemadando »

Yeah, the first book was interesting and definitely went to show why Anderson fucking hated Saren. A few attempts on a life will do that.

The one's with Cerberus though. It was totally just going: "LET'S MAKE THIS ORGANISATION CARTOONISHLY EVIL" LOL RENEGADE OPTIONS

Stofsk

#320 Post by Stofsk »

I think in retrospect as the ME series unfolded, I find I like the first game and the early tie-in stuff like Revelations more than the sequels. There was more of a sense of unrealised potential in the first game and the backstory, than there was with the second game or the backstory for that. There was a sense that the story could be going to interesting places, which makes a lot of the later story decisions way more painful in hindsight.

xon

#321 Post by xon »

weemadando wrote:Mass Effect books have occasionally been interesting.
:wtc:

I can tell you aren't talking about the most recent one. Mass Effect: Deception is fucking horrible, so bad that Bioware and the Del Rey issued a public apology over it!

Stofsk

#322 Post by Stofsk »

Hey, it's not like inconsistent characterisation, zero character growth, incoherent plots and absurd retconning is somehow a unique experience alien to bioware. :smug:

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#323 Post by Darksi4190 »

Video game tie-in novels can vary greatly quality wise. Every once and a while you can get a good one like Halo: First Strike, most are mediocre like the Starcraft novels, and some are absolute stinkers like Mass Effect Ascension and Halo: The Flood.

Most fall in to the mediocre category though because those producing the tie-in content are rarely interested in creating their own interesting stories, they just want to create more buzz for the game.

xon

#324 Post by xon »

It is however amazingly rare to get an official apology out of how fucking poor the tie-in was. Even if nothing comes of it.

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#325 Post by Darksi4190 »

Well Mass Effect Retribution (which I mistakenly referred to as Ascension above) does seem to be uniquely bad even among tie-ins. Other tie-in novels at least manage to maintain a decent amount of continuity with the universes of the games that they're basically advertisements for. There's at least some tangible link between the novel and the rest of that universe. Retribution has so many continuity errors that most people are convinced that the writer and editor never played Mass Effect, or read any of the previous novels that it's supposed to be a continuation of.