thats not uncommon

like 5 euro nations did prety much the same thing

ps we call the backlash against this a 'rebellion' :V

adr-admin
Site Admin

Re: Godammed SDN

#4453 Post by adr-admin »

aye.

i saw it come up when i was checking precedent for the constitution applying outside the us so it was on my mind here

ps the constitution didn't apply in the china court

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#4454 Post by starku »

it bet it would now :V

Chadz

#4455 Post by Chadz »

adr wrote:aye.

i saw it come up when i was checking precedent for the constitution applying outside the us so it was on my mind here

B-B- BUT THE CONSTITUTION APPLIES TO ALL AMERICANS

Unless it doesn't.

I LOVE this country. at least we have the most fat-people per capita -
"Nerds. Nerds never changes." - Oxymoron

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#4456 Post by starku »

awww yeeeeee

Zod
perkele

#4457 Post by Zod »

Chadz wrote:
adr wrote:aye.

B-B- BUT THE CONSTITUTION APPLIES TO ALL AMERICANS

Unless it doesn't.

I LOVE this country. at least we have the most fat-people per capita -
the constitution applies to everyone whether you're american or not

unless you're a terrorist or a copyright infringer lol

Agent Bert Macklin

#4458 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Thanas wrote:
... and to replace teachers who just aren't helping kids learn. That's a bargain worth making.
"I want to end teacher tenure."
The problem with this is what, exactly? I would like an explanation as to why teachers who have a high failure rate in their courses are allowed to keep their job. I had a physics teacher where the 15 students in the class failed the first exam (to be clear, this was everyone in the class), a teacher who admitted he didn't want to teach us, and had no desire to help when we came to him: "Go to the tutor." He has tenure. Why the fuck should he be allowed to keep his job?

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#4459 Post by Bakustra »

PS This may be a consequence of the university system valuing research capabilities (and thus the ability to pull in grant money) more than teaching capabilities, which don't pull in any extra money. Thus, the concept of tenure may be tangential to the real problems with the system (aka capitalism) or at best the causation may be in the wrong direction. Conversely, Thanas' experience is probably mostly with the German system, where tenure is distributed and treated differently.

In addition, such phrases are often code for getting rid of teacher's unions and curtailing the ability of teachers to decide how they wish to teach because the only way Americans can think of to track student progress is through standardized testing. So the real killer is on the primary and secondary levels of education, which are already assailed, and assailed heavily.

Zod
perkele

#4460 Post by Zod »

Knubble tov wrote:
Thanas wrote:
... and to replace teachers who just aren't helping kids learn. That's a bargain worth making.
"I want to end teacher tenure."
The problem with this is what, exactly? I would like an explanation as to why teachers who have a high failure rate in their courses are allowed to keep their job. I had a physics teacher where the 15 students in the class failed the first exam (to be clear, this was everyone in the class), a teacher who admitted he didn't want to teach us, and had no desire to help when we came to him: "Go to the tutor." He has tenure. Why the fuck should he be allowed to keep his job?
Don't they grade physics classes on a pretty steep curve anyway?

Agent Bert Macklin

#4461 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Zod wrote:Don't they grade physics classes on a pretty steep curve anyway?
He didn't.

Dooey Jo

#4462 Post by Dooey Jo »

Knubble tov wrote:The problem with this is what, exactly? I would like an explanation as to why teachers who have a high failure rate in their courses are allowed to keep their job. I had a physics teacher where the 15 students in the class failed the first exam (to be clear, this was everyone in the class), a teacher who admitted he didn't want to teach us, and had no desire to help when we came to him: "Go to the tutor." He has tenure. Why the fuck should he be allowed to keep his job?
aren't universities generally proud of their ridiculous drop out rates? something something "elite" etc.

turns out education is less about teaching and more about producing wage differences and acceptance thereof

after all, if your teaching methods were so good they could teach just about anyone anything, you would have the same situation for all education that you have now with college graduates not finding jobs because the labour market for college graduates is saturated (ps this unemployment is great for industry)

so those "bad at maths" (actually bored by horrible repetition) and flunk out accept their own uselessness and deserve only a minimum wage, while those "good at maths" (actually good at school) are proud of their eliteness and demand high wages and are encouraged to pour disdain on the others (ref. TEO)

it is a fine system

(am i saying pretty much anyone can be good at maths? yes. yes i am. but not through the current educational system)
DracuLax - when even Death can't scare the shit out of you

Zod
perkele

#4463 Post by Zod »

Dooey Jo wrote:
Knubble tov wrote:The problem with this is what, exactly? I would like an explanation as to why teachers who have a high failure rate in their courses are allowed to keep their job. I had a physics teacher where the 15 students in the class failed the first exam (to be clear, this was everyone in the class), a teacher who admitted he didn't want to teach us, and had no desire to help when we came to him: "Go to the tutor." He has tenure. Why the fuck should he be allowed to keep his job?
aren't universities generally proud of their ridiculous drop out rates? something something "elite" etc.

turns out education is less about teaching and more about producing wage differences and acceptance thereof

after all, if your teaching methods were so good they could teach just about anyone anything, you would have the same situation for all education that you have now with college graduates not finding jobs because the labour market for college graduates is saturated (ps this unemployment is great for industry)

so those "bad at maths" (actually bored by horrible repetition) and flunk out accept their own uselessness and deserve only a minimum wage, while those "good at maths" (actually good at school) are proud of their eliteness and demand high wages and are encouraged to pour disdain on the others (ref. TEO)

it is a fine system

(am i saying pretty much anyone can be good at maths? yes. yes i am. but not through the current educational system)
I like to blame the current system for my inability to properly do abstract maths at any kind of advanced level. It's an easy scapegoat.

adr-admin
Site Admin

#4464 Post by adr-admin »

i think people who say "maths" instead of "math" or "mathematics" deserve to get minimum wage

in europe

Agent Bert Macklin

#4465 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

I would say yes, Dooey. But here's the thing: I love the shit out of math and if I have trouble I like to speak with the professor about it. I wouldn't have earned all of my As without their help. For a professor to tell me to "go see a tutor," when the quality of those in the tutoring center is below average, it's not going to help me. I'm not going to drop out anyway. The thought has crossed my mind (no health insurance this time next year), but I can't really afford to given my situation.

GA Tech is notorious for what you described, a school I'd love to attend. They make their shit so diffciult that massive curves are employed. They want to keep their status as among the best in the country. They actively delayed the implementation of the engineering programs at the school I'm transferring to because they wanted to have a monopoly on them.

Losonti Tokash

#4466 Post by Losonti Tokash »

tenure worked out pretty well in my experience because it allowed my teachers with unorthodox teaching methods and outspoken criticism of the school to stick around and be awesome

Zod
perkele

#4467 Post by Zod »

Losonti Tokash wrote:tenure worked out pretty well in my experience because it allowed my teachers with unorthodox teaching methods and outspoken criticism of the school to stick around and be awesome
it also lets lazy shitheels stick around and do next to nothing once they've gained tenure :v

adr-admin
Site Admin

#4468 Post by adr-admin »

the point of tenure is to give the teachers some freedom

Dooey Jo

#4469 Post by Dooey Jo »

Knubble tov wrote:I would say yes, Dooey. But here's the thing: I love the shit out of math and if I have trouble I like to speak with the professor about it. I wouldn't have earned all of my As without their help. For a professor to tell me to "go see a tutor," when the quality of those in the tutoring center is below average, it's not going to help me. I'm not going to drop out anyway. The thought has crossed my mind (no health insurance this time next year), but I can't really afford to given my situation.
Yeah it sucks. Don't know what you can do about it though. In Sweden we have "student unions" (but like all unions they are in the process of being busted) that might have been able to help you in such a situation, if the teacher was being an ass.

Incidentally, my Linear Algebra course was so full of shit. There were these non-mandatory "small tests" in the middle of the course, and I only did the one because then my brother died and it was bluh. But I know that shit, and figured that it was just so you could see if you "got it". But no, turned out if you had done them you could write off parts of the final exam, so you'd effectively have more time to do it. Then it turns out like every single problem about matrices involved fucking 4x3 matrices at least. One problem was "invert this 6x6 matrix. by hand. write down every step lol!" Thanks fuckers writing that shit down takes twice as long as it does figuring it out.

I still passed, but goddamn was that test some bullshit. What about those who wrote slightly slower than me? "Sorry son, you don't know linear algebra because you didn't fill ten papers with ugly squares and numbers fast enough."

but standardised testing measures knowledge right! people invert huge matrices by hand under strict time constraints all the time right!
DracuLax - when even Death can't scare the shit out of you

weemadando

#4470 Post by weemadando »

adr wrote:the point of tenure is to give the teachers some freedom
Yeah, transitioning teachers onto term to term contracts and then needing to hire substitute teachers for terms at a time on day by day rates because everyone is quitting seems to be working excellently in Australia.

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#4471 Post by Bakustra »

back on topic, all you derailers, simon_jester really tees me off for some reason

adr-admin
Site Admin

#4472 Post by adr-admin »

simon jester annoys me a lot of times

but sometimes i think there's hope for him

Veef

#4473 Post by Veef »

Baks-kun i like your posts on RPGs but they're a bit dense

adr-admin
Site Admin