Lament 2: Cry Harder

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
joviwan

Re: Lament 2: Cry Harder

#451 Post by joviwan »

Depending on how old it is it may not know how to interact with newer SATA drives. You may be able to change SATA operation in BIOS to Legacy, to see if that helps.

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#452 Post by Darksi4190 »

Wouldn't it have worked with the drive from my old computer then? The HDD was fine and everything. XP was already installed with all the latest updates. It was the video card that was crapping out. The BIOS can recognize the Hard drive and the disc drive, and it looks like windows is starting to boot, then it crashes and bluescreens right after the loading screen.

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#453 Post by Phantasee »

do you need to stay on xp for some reason?

because for serious 7 is waaaaaaaaay better
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

Darksi4190

#454 Post by Darksi4190 »

I know. I'm going to upgrade anyways, I just wanted to figure out if there was a hardware problem and I needed to start sending shit back to newegg, because i've only got 30 days to do it.

Civil War Man

#455 Post by Civil War Man »

Darksi4190 wrote:Wouldn't it have worked with the drive from my old computer then? The HDD was fine and everything. XP was already installed with all the latest updates. It was the video card that was crapping out. The BIOS can recognize the Hard drive and the disc drive, and it looks like windows is starting to boot, then it crashes and bluescreens right after the loading screen.
That's because it's trying to load Windows with the chipset drivers from your old computer. Swapping the drives like that only works if you are switching them between two identical or near-identical sets of hardware.

Aaron
El Duderino

#456 Post by Aaron »

Phantasee wrote:i had another great day of getting youth engaged

this time the premier remembered me

maybe one day she'll know my name

also got my buddy's third grade teacher's number, in front of him

that was awkward

and i met a nice woman who offered to forward my resume to anyone hiring accounting grads

like just cold offered, after asking what i studied

that was interesting

now i have to put together a resume ffffffuuuuuck
Seeing as I'm getting sick and tired of the CPC fucking me up the ass while saying they support me, I'm thinking of getting involved with the federal NDP. Any recommendations on how to do so.

Darksi4190

#457 Post by Darksi4190 »

Civil War Man wrote: That's because it's trying to load Windows with the chipset drivers from your old computer. Swapping the drives like that only works if you are switching them between two identical or near-identical sets of hardware.
Yeah I figured it might not work but I my friend told me he did it with his a couple years back. I suppose there's a much bigger difference between my new hardware and my old stuff than he had.

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#458 Post by Phantasee »

Aaron wrote:Seeing as I'm getting sick and tired of the CPC fucking me up the ass while saying they support me, I'm thinking of getting involved with the federal NDP. Any recommendations on how to do so.
i was doing some research for you

get this

membership fee in the federal ndp depends on province

in Alberta it's $1

in Ontario it's $25!

hahaha

But only $5 if you're un(der)employed or under 26

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#459 Post by Phantasee »

but if you're looking to be involved, the best point of access is usually your local constituency association

http://www.ndp.ca/your-riding

that'll connect you, i think

call em up and get in on their next meeting

if your local board isn't particularly active you can usually find a neighbouring board that is

this is of course easier in a city like edmonton but if you want it badly enough you'll find a way

Darksi4190

#460 Post by Darksi4190 »

Uh oh. Just figured out that the mainboard came with it's own linux based OS on the driver CD for basic messaging and stuff, tried it, and it won't load either. It flashes some sort of error message that says something failed, but it goes by too quickly for me to read what it says. I'm starting to think this is a hardware rather than a compatibility issue.

Oxymoron

#461 Post by Oxymoron »

This may be so.

I still remember that 3 TB drive I bought a few month ago, brand new, and which fucked itself up on day 1. Had to exchange it for my current drive.

The problem with modern electronic in computers is that it has become so complex and there's so much room for things to go badly in the fabrication processes that "quality control" has become pretty much a joke for consumer products.
No.

Darksi4190

#462 Post by Darksi4190 »

I wish I had some idea of which part is fucking up though. I mean the bios loads fine, the video card is working alright, All the fans and lights are working, it's just when it tries to load an OS it just doesn't fucking work. Not sure if it could be the HDD since I haven't technically written anything to it yet.

Oxymoron

#463 Post by Oxymoron »

I have, literally, no idea.

What's Newegg's return / after sale support policy ?
No.

Darksi4190

#464 Post by Darksi4190 »

I have 30 days from delivery (so probably like two weeks) to call them and set up an RMA for any parts that are defective, they ship me a box, I ship them the bad parts back, and they ship me new and (Hopefully) functioning parts.

Aaron
El Duderino

#465 Post by Aaron »

Ontario, gawd what a joke this place is. Thanks Phant, I'm trading emails with the local guy now.

Hey, have you heard that Dalton might run for leadership of the fed liberals?

Zablorg
Baron of the Burrito

#466 Post by Zablorg »

i don't see how he could

don't we have a lot of dirt on him

Aaron
El Duderino

#467 Post by Aaron »

Waa waa waa

Zod
perkele

#468 Post by Zod »

Goddamnit what the fuck is it with all of my go-to applications suddenly bundling their installers with some bullshit add-on toolbar I don't want and would never use?

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#469 Post by RyanThunder »

Aaron
El Duderino

#470 Post by Aaron »

Yeah I think I can swing 25$

Darksi4190

#471 Post by Darksi4190 »

So i'm fucking sick of trying to figure out which part on this goddamn machine is busted, so i'm taking it in to a local computer building/service shop to have them do a diagnostic on it and find out which part I have to send back to newegg. I'm just going to eat the extra cost, learn my lesson, and never shop at fucking newegg again. Twice i've ordered parts from them, and twice they've sent me defective shit. Next time I need to upgrade or build a machine, i'm just going around to local shops to buy the parts.

Oxymoron

#472 Post by Oxymoron »

At least you're learning.

People keep asking me why I'm still going to my local computer store to buy computer parts instead of doing like everyone else and get them from the web. And I always tell them that at least I know where to go when there's a problem. In my mind it justify paying 10% more than if I tried the web/mail-order option.
No.

Zod
perkele

#473 Post by Zod »

Darksi4190 wrote:So i'm fucking sick of trying to figure out which part on this goddamn machine is busted, so i'm taking it in to a local computer building/service shop to have them do a diagnostic on it and find out which part I have to send back to newegg. I'm just going to eat the extra cost, learn my lesson, and never shop at fucking newegg again. Twice i've ordered parts from them, and twice they've sent me defective shit. Next time I need to upgrade or build a machine, i'm just going around to local shops to buy the parts.
Or just . . . not shop from New Egg? I've had pretty good luck with parts from Amazon.

Dooey Jo

#474 Post by Dooey Jo »

"an idea for a movie that i've actually had for a pretty long is 'kindergarten cop' except it's a dog care centre, and as an erotic film"

just putting that quote out there
DracuLax - when even Death can't scare the shit out of you

Gands

#475 Post by Gands »

Another work week over.

One of my coworkers is back from holiday. I never realised how much I missed his condescension and seeming constant frustration.