Testing Chat V: The Final Mysterious Island: Miami Beach

The troll forum, with 50% more bowel movements.
Veef

Re: Testing Chat V: The Final Mysterious Island: Miami Beach

#451 Post by Veef »

may the force be with whatever movie dares to come out the same weekend as the new Star Wars.

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#452 Post by Darksi4190 »

What if it's The Avengers 2?

Flagg

#453 Post by Flagg »

Avengers 2 would destroy Star Wars. SW will get pushed back to December.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#454 Post by Darksi4190 »

Well obviously they won't release them both in the same weekend or even the same month, but pushed all the way to December? That's the movie equivalent to being reassigned to the south pole or some shit.

Star Wars has always been a summer franchise, and has always done well in those months. It might not top the charts anymore, but it still has staying power. I suspect there will be roughly a one month difference between The Avengers 2 and Episode VIII.

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#455 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Infinity Biscuit wrote:I've actually seen some of criticism of the criticism in that it's a very white feminist thing and ignores the different cultural aspects and stuff.

I haven't seen the movie still so I can't say much at all but putting that out there.
Oh hey turns out that article actually touches upon this after all. Guess I should be the one reading the articles before commenting :L

my neurotic avoidance of spoilers strikes again

Bob the Gunslinger

#456 Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Pacific Rim made more in China than in the US, is selling merchandise above expectations, and will almost certainly do stellar on DVD and Blu-Ray.

I saw it with my wife. Twice. Which really says something about how much she enjoyed it. But, we both loved Final Wars, too, so that has a lot to do with it. I expect the movie to do really well with children over the next few years, in the way that Godzilla and Star Wars movies seem to, and sell a shitload of toys. It's also an open secret that legendary wants the prestige of owning a franchise IP. I would be surprised if there isn't a sequel.

As for the sexism, we did not see the movie as "white guy tells a black guy what to tell the Asian woman what to do," but I can understand that perspective. I thought the movie made it pretty clear that Mori and Pentecost had had the argument many times, not that she was meekly obeying, but rather that she kept their disagreements private out of respect. We both thought that she was the actual hero of the story, with Raleigh taking over Yancy's position as 'mentor' and Pentecost as the voice of opposition. Still, I thought Raleigh and Mori were the two blandest, most boring characters in the whole movie, whose existences only justified themselves in robot violence.

I'm surprised the Russian pilots aren't getting more attention. They oozed character in their motions and stole every scene from the background. I also thought Herc and Chuck had a very interesting dynamic (which was confirmed for me when I read the background information), which gives them a lot more going on between them than, say, the two main characters. Also, their accents were amaaaaaazing.

Jung

#457 Post by Jung »

I think I've managed to track down where that "43% of college-aged men admitted to using coercive behavior to have sex" statistic came from, unfortunately it's a book that has no Google preview.

Edit: it's over 20 years old, I wonder what the results would be today...
Last edited by Jung on Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#458 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

I was just told by a friend that I look twelve.

On the one hand, I think I'm flattered, because at my age I love looking younger than I am. On the other hand, what

Zablorg
Baron of the Burrito

#459 Post by Zablorg »

Infinity Biscuit wrote:I was just told by a friend that I look twelve.

On the one hand, I think I'm flattered, because at my age I love looking younger than I am. On the other hand, what
i was recently told by a friend that i would be a lolita character

would you believe

Oxymoron

#460 Post by Oxymoron »

Last week when I did the two days at the recruiting center, the other candidates were flabbergasted when I told them my age, one day in.

They asked me how old I was, and I told them "23". They were on their ass surprised. Everyone else was like, 18 or 19, just right out of High School. While as far as I can see, my post-secondary studies seems to be over now - at least if I stay civilian, that is.

I apparently inherited from my father the fact of consistently looking five years younger than I really am.
No.

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#461 Post by RyanThunder »

I doubt you literally look like you're twelve, IB

>:3

#462 Post by >:3 »

i look 12 and what is this
>:3

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#463 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Zablorg wrote:i was recently told by a friend that i would be a lolita character

would you believe
what kind of asshole would say something like that

Veef

#464 Post by Veef »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EX_RuKvTR7s

a crisis facing our nation

severe lack of cheeter

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#465 Post by Phantasee »

Veef wrote:That's a whole 'nother story! It's like we got the Nerdraqi Information Ministry trying to damage control over how much it made!
"Nerdraqi Information Ministry" is beautiful man
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

Bob the Gunslinger

#466 Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

So, is New Testingstan hemorrhaging members and dying the slow death TEO-style, or is it just me?

Oxymoron

#467 Post by Oxymoron »

*shrug*

Probably. I know I've been far more active on that other site I frequent than here for quite some time now. It's not that this place has become uninteresting, just that... well, there isn't much happening.

Plus, I doubt I would have been able to launch here the "writing game" like I did other there and get as many responses in such a short timespan.

... Hell, you know what, I'll do it and we'll see.
No.

Jung

#468 Post by Jung »

Well, Magic Princess and Aaron seem to have dropped out over a recent incident

Which I find a real pity cause they were both cool people

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#469 Post by RyanThunder »

Oh Aaron too? Man. I was wondering where he went.

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#470 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Does anyone know what would be a good format for writing a diary? Preferably online so I could access it as long as I had access, but I'd want some pretty good guarantees of privacy so I'm not sure how much I'd be looking for. Like would a password-protected tumblr or livejournal or whatever be good enough?

Veef

#471 Post by Veef »

Google documents?

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#472 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

I think I'd like to avoid google for anything privacy related but I dunno if I'm being too paranoid

Oxymoron

#473 Post by Oxymoron »

Pretty much. Well, you can crouch on "privacy" in the sense that it's totally going to influence your google search, ads and the like ; but apart from that you can have pretty reasonable expectations that no one is actually going to read what you wrote without your permission.

Alternatively, .DOC or .TXT in your Dropbox (or similar cloud data storage services). You know how Dropbox works, right ?
No.

evilsoup

#474 Post by evilsoup »

with online stuff, privacy comes down to: how much do you trust the people who will be hosting the information for you?

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#475 Post by Bakustra »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:So, is New Testingstan hemorrhaging members and dying the slow death TEO-style, or is it just me?
no, it's a slow leakage :v

seriously, people didn't move over to the new board, relatively prolific members post more rarely, and now we've lost two people altogether. also, people that join up don't post as much but i believe this to be a consequence of the relative lack of posting. i'll see what i can do about this problem.
Infinity Biscuit wrote:I was just told by a friend that I look twelve.

i have the opposite "problem", but i guess it will eventually turn into a problem too. i look forward to having my hair turn white by 40 and looking 90 at 70. :(