Godammed SDN

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Flagg

Re: Godammed SDN

#5551 Post by Flagg »

I don't care about clubbing seals. It's sustainable, they're not endangered, and they are the rats of the sea.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Oxymoron

#5552 Post by Oxymoron »

BUT THEY ARE CUTE ! WE CAN'T KILL CUTE THINGS !!1!
No.

Aaron
El Duderino

#5553 Post by Aaron »

Yeah that's obviously what its about. I served with guys who used to take leave to go back home and help, so the family would have some money. Same with moose hunting.

Its easy to condemn things when in your tower but when you face life on the dole, the luxury isn't there.

Flagg

#5554 Post by Flagg »

I mean to be honest clubbing them is a bit douchebaggy and done solely to keep the value of the fur higher. They could just as easily shoot them with a .22, but that would harm the fur and cost them money. So while I don't have an issue with the hunting of the seals they should probably use more humane methods.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

adr-admin
Site Admin

#5555 Post by adr-admin »

oh when i went to bed last night an amusing thought crossed my mind

atheist monks

no not adrian monk

atheist monks who live in monasteries and live the whole stereotypical chaste monk life etc

but don't believe in god

i'm making myself lol here plz tell me i have at least ONE original thought

this might be my finest ever

Aaron
El Duderino

#5556 Post by Aaron »

Flagg wrote:I mean to be honest clubbing them is a bit douchebaggy and done solely to keep the value of the fur higher. They could just as easily shoot them with a .22, but that would harm the fur and cost them money. So while I don't have an issue with the hunting of the seals they should probably use more humane methods.
Agreed

Losonti Tokash

#5557 Post by Losonti Tokash »

dude i'd be depressed as fuck if my job was beating baby animals to death

if it's all they got it's all they've got, but damn

Zod
perkele

#5558 Post by Zod »

adr wrote:oh when i went to bed last night an amusing thought crossed my mind

atheist monks

no not adrian monk

atheist monks who live in monasteries and live the whole stereotypical chaste monk life etc

but don't believe in god

i'm making myself lol here plz tell me i have at least ONE original thought

this might be my finest ever
wouldn't that be your typical fatty nerd that never leaves their mother's basement and can't speak with women ???

adr-admin
Site Admin

#5559 Post by adr-admin »

omg that's the secluded monk

but a monastery is a kind of social gathering

secluded yes but there's a bunch of ppl ther

adr-admin
Site Admin

#5560 Post by adr-admin »

i mean you never hear someone saying

"i'm sending you to live with the monk"

they say "i'm sending you to live with the monks"

Oxymoron

#5561 Post by Oxymoron »

Aaron wrote:Yeah that's obviously what its about. I served with guys who used to take leave to go back home and help, so the family would have some money. Same with moose hunting.

Its easy to condemn things when in your tower but when you face life on the dole, the luxury isn't there.
IF you want to play the Social Darwinist card, you can always say that if a law pass to forbid seal hunt and this leave them without a mean of subsistence, then it's their own damn fault if they don't emigrate toward a territory with more resources in order to survive. IF you want to be a douchebag, that is.

(thought of the day after a course on "Demographic Dynamics")
No.

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#5562 Post by Phantasee »

They do shoot them, and then club them if it didn't kill them right away. The hakapik is pretty reliable for finishing them off.

Newfoundland does have other industry now, but it won't employ everyone. They have their offshore oilfields now; a lot of guys that used to work up north here went home in the downturn and didn't come back because their skills are applicable over there now and they get to stay at home.

Which I suppose hurts short term as its going to give jobs to guys who already had jobs in Alberta first, but give it some time and I think the population will be able to start moving on up as their resources get more fully developed.
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

Zod
perkele

#5563 Post by Zod »

time to stick a fork in ron paul's campaign

it's over *smirk*

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_news/ ... 11-truther

RedImperator

#5564 Post by RedImperator »

Aaron wrote:What bothers me about that thread is thanas and how arrogantly he is about killing off Newfoundlands only remaining industry. Fuck em, they don't need to eat!
Well, while it's obviously wrong to take away someone's livelihood, if it's more wrong to kill the seals, then it's the lesser of two evils.

The problem is that Thanas isn't being consistent--his argument walks you right into obligatory vegetarianism (or at least excludes mammals), but he continues to defend the existence of the beef industry.

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#5565 Post by starku »

Losonti Tokash wrote:dude i'd be depressed as fuck if my job was beating baby animals to death

Aside from emotive crap like 'babies' and 'beating' how is it really worse than the rest of the slaughtering industry

Lambs to the slaughter ok? Poor widely seals not ok?

Zod
perkele

#5566 Post by Zod »

starku wrote:
Losonti Tokash wrote:dude i'd be depressed as fuck if my job was beating baby animals to death

Aside from emotive crap like 'babies' and 'beating' how is it really worse than the rest of the slaughtering industry

some slaughter houses at least try and make the death as quick and painless as possible

but i wouldn't want to do that type of work because i'm squeamish around blood

same reason i'd make a terrible doctor :v

adr-admin
Site Admin

#5567 Post by adr-admin »

tbh i always found the idea of a humanitarian slaughter/execution a little silly

either way they're still dead

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#5568 Post by starku »

People just need to grow up and internalise the idea that tens of thousands of juvenile animals are cut to ribbons every day near them

Some guys in flannel hitting some seals is just part of the machine we call 'industry'

Aaron
El Duderino

#5569 Post by Aaron »

IIRC the club is fairly quick and I don't think they can take babies anymore. The hunt is also as heavily regulated as our others.

Flagg

#5570 Post by Flagg »

Zod wrote:time to stick a fork in ron paul's campaign

it's over *smirk*

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_news/ ... 11-truther

Pfft, his racist apologist followers will just dismiss this as "Well as long as Paul doesn't believe it it doesn't matter, and even if he does, he's still better!"
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Dooey Jo

#5571 Post by Dooey Jo »

i hear if everyone knew everything about the supply chains of the things they buy then we could end animal cruelty and child labour

what we need is a horribly complicated global system of regulations and certifications to keep track of how and where everything was made, with details of where its parts were made and where they were made and so on

then we can vote with our wallets

assuming this extra work doesn't inflate prices of course and kills africa

but it will be worth it because then we can have

responsible capitalism :america:
DracuLax - when even Death can't scare the shit out of you

Zod
perkele

#5572 Post by Zod »

Dooey Jo wrote:i hear if everyone knew everything about the supply chains of the things they buy then we could end animal cruelty and child labour

what we need is a horribly complicated global system of regulations and certifications to keep track of how and where everything was made, with details of where its parts were made and where they were made and so on

then we can vote with our wallets

assuming this extra work doesn't inflate prices of course and kills africa

but it will be worth it because then we can have

responsible capitalism :america:
perfectly spherical consumers :riker:

Zod
perkele

#5573 Post by Zod »

Aaron
El Duderino

#5574 Post by Aaron »

Way to go dudes, if you had regular s then it would have been fine, or an s over an s

Losonti Tokash

#5575 Post by Losonti Tokash »

starku wrote:

gee sorry i used emotive crap when talking about how i'd feel doing it for a living

i also do silly stuff like try to eat from places that treat the animals decently and don't eat veal and other shit so actually i guess eating lamb isn't okay with me

pretty sure it's come up in convo enough you should know this about me anyway so not even sure why you're acting like i'm ignorant of factory farming awfulness

much as i think the fur industry is awful and whatnot, it apparently helps feed people and the seal clubbing is definitely more humane than what chickens go through, what with their beaks and legs cut off and shit and the male chicks ground up