Lament 2: Cry Harder

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Oxymoron

Re: Lament 2: Cry Harder

#576 Post by Oxymoron »

It did. But it was just a warning, not an error.

Oh well. From tomorrow onward I probably will not have to treat with that piece of shit code anymore. I'll just send a mail to the company responsible for it to inform them of the bug, and I'll translate their algorithm into a more (re)usable language for what we do.
No.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#577 Post by RogueIce »

You know OxyRabid, your first mistake was in taking a programming job to begin with. :smug:

Oxymoron

#578 Post by Oxymoron »

Oh well. Better than to work in retail. :v
No.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#579 Post by RogueIce »

You have a point there.

Oxymoron

#580 Post by Oxymoron »

Why I like python :

a bit of code in C => doesn't work as intended and painful to read to try to understand what went wrong.

python => works, do a lot more than what was done by the C code, the defined functions can be easily reused in other code by importing the file as a module, and the code itself is half the size of the C code and easy to read.

concession accepted :smug:
No.

Dooey Jo

#581 Post by Dooey Jo »

python borrows the worst parts of javascript and adds the feature that whitespace itself can break a program without compiler warnings
DracuLax - when even Death can't scare the shit out of you

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#582 Post by adr »

In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Oxymoron

#583 Post by Oxymoron »

Trust me, I'll bitch about it once I'll have something to bitch about.
No.

Oxymoron

#584 Post by Oxymoron »

Anyway, I operate under the assumption that every programming language is shitty in its own unique way. It's just that for now, as a beginner, I place ease of use and intuitiveness above other considerations. And from my very limited exposition to programming, Python win this particular round.

By curiosity, DJ, what's the "worst parts of JS" that you say Python draw upon ?

Maybe I'll have a look at that D + Python thingy. But it's not as if I'm going to use it anyway : I have no choice about what I use at work, and the only personal project I'm envisioning as of now would require me to use Java anyway, so...

Maybe for later.
No.

Dooey Jo

#585 Post by Dooey Jo »

mainly the type system which makes no difference between declaring and assigning variables, meaning if you misspell a variable this might not be a compile-time error, and dynamic typing, meaning you can't really assume anything about the input to your functions (nor the output)

and of course the awful non-deterministic object lifetimes, even though it has something resembling destructors
DracuLax - when even Death can't scare the shit out of you

adr

#586 Post by adr »

Oxymoron wrote:Maybe I'll have a look at that D + Python thingy. But it's not as if I'm going to use it anyway : I have no choice about what I use at work, and the only personal project I'm envisioning as of now would require me to use Java anyway, so...
yeah that kind of thing is more like if you have a core app in D and want to offer some kind of user scripting to it with the python

for example if you were doing a text editor, you could let the users write little python scripts and assign them to custom macro keys to automate your tasks

i just posted it because it happened to be in my email inbox this morning though, there's no actual point there. aside from the commentators praising D

adr

#587 Post by adr »

Dooey Jo wrote:dynamic typing, meaning you can't really assume anything about the input to your functions (nor the output)
i love the ppl saying their dynamic langs are super productive and their tests catch moar bugs than static types anyway

but then i look at the tests

Code: Select all

assert(typeof a == "Number");
assert(typeof b == "String");
LOL

Oxymoron

#588 Post by Oxymoron »

Just today I created a function that in one case return a(n instantiated) socket object, and in the other return an integer (zero) :v

though I changed it to return only a socket object when I realized that the failure test I was realizing was solved by the interpreter just crashing in case of failure :v :v
No.

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#589 Post by RyanThunder »

Oxymoron wrote:Just today I created a function that in one case return a(n instantiated) socket object, and in the other return an integer (zero) :v
You are a horrible human being. xD

Zod
perkele

#590 Post by Zod »

Today I got paid minimum wage to watch dysfunctional couples and families scream at each other on a national daytime talk-show as part of the studio audience. Fun times.

joviwan

#591 Post by joviwan »

they... they pay studio audiences?

Zod
perkele

#592 Post by Zod »

joviwan wrote:they... they pay studio audiences?
Empty seats are bad for their image so they got to fill vacancies somehow. I'm not complaining, it's easy money. :v

The Spartan

#593 Post by The Spartan »

Did you have to yell stupid things at them?

Zablorg
Baron of the Burrito

#594 Post by Zablorg »

yeah i'd like to know what the actual requirements were

do you worry you'll get typecast

RogueIce
#YOLO

#595 Post by RogueIce »

JER-REY! JER-REY! JER-REY!

Zod
perkele

#596 Post by Zod »

There wasn't that much in the way of requirements. You submit a headshot to their website and if they want you they'll approve your ticket request. You had to emote on queue though, there were a couple of guys there to make sure the audience cheered or reacted appropriately. I was starting to get a migraine at the end between the two-hour bus-ride there and all the clapping. :v

Aaron
El Duderino

#597 Post by Aaron »

8 hours sweating my ass off in a classroom and an hour drive home. I smell like a goat.

Aaron
El Duderino

#598 Post by Aaron »

Every Remembrance Day it rains, and it's raining today. I've always felt it to be oddly appropriate.

xon

#599 Post by xon »

Dooey Jo wrote:mainly the type system which makes no difference between declaring and assigning variables, meaning if you misspell a variable this might not be a compile-time error, and dynamic typing, meaning you can't really assume anything about the input to your functions (nor the output)
Actually, the worse part about javascript is that all number are actually floatpoint values not integers.

And floatpoint numbers are horrible for tripping people up who expect sane integer-like number behaviour but with a decimal point.

xon

#600 Post by xon »

RyanThunder wrote:needs a like button
Kinda tempted to install the following mod; thanks for and modify it to use the word "like" instead.