The Glue Factory

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Crazedwraith

Re: The Glue Factory

#651 Post by Crazedwraith »

By too expensive i didn't really mean 'the company is selling this for an unreasonable price' I just meant its availble for more money than pirates are willing to sent. In most cases this any number above 0.
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

evilsoup

#652 Post by evilsoup »

in cases where it's completely unavailable, I have some sympathy. If MLP was broadcast over here in a timely fashion, I'd watch on on TV rather than through youtube. And, actually, it is one of those cases the piracy-advocates could point to as piracy 'working' - I'm seriously considering getting the spinoff comic and the DVDs.

of course, even if not for that, the brony documentary can afford to take the hit far less than hasbro can

RogueIce
#YOLO

#653 Post by RogueIce »

Crazedwraith wrote:By too expensive i didn't really mean 'the company is selling this for an unreasonable price' I just meant its availble for more money than pirates are willing to sent. In most cases this any number above 0.
Indeed. Which is why I find it be such a non-excuse on their (the pirates, not you, sorry if I was unclear) part.

If they're not willing to spend any money on it, maybe they just shouldn't fucking have it then. People gotta eat, companies have to make payroll, and so on and so forth. The pirates are not entitled to jack and/or shit just because they want it but don't feel like paying for it.

Which is why the vast majority of them piss me off, because I suspect it has far more to do with some sense of entitlement than some principled stand over media not being available (region-locking), stupidly priced (more than $100 for Star Trek season DVDs?) or other legitimate gripes (bullshit software DRM).

Oxymoron

#654 Post by Oxymoron »

RE the episode : "everything went better than expected".

Seriously, it feels they were really lucky to salvage that one.
No.

timmy

#655 Post by timmy »

I'd have to buy pay tv in Australia in order to watch it there, and it'd be at least a month behind, and then I'd feel obliged to watch more tv to justify the expense. More damagingly, I'd feel it was justified by the amount of TV my kids would be waching.

So there's this angle... How much merch do I have to buy to help offset the fact that we watch it on youtube?
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

evilsoup

#656 Post by evilsoup »

How much merch do I have to buy to help offset the fact that we watch it on youtube?
what
all the bronies? Quite a lot, I think :v

I actually get the only channel that shows MLP here that I know of... but AFAICT it shows it months behind the release of the episodes.

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#657 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Couldn't you just buy the episodes you've watched if you feel bad about your piracy?

evilsoup

#658 Post by evilsoup »

if it was available somewhere other than iTunes, then I would
actually, I've got to look up where to buy the DVDs/if they've be released in the UK

RogueIce
#YOLO

#659 Post by RogueIce »

Is iTunes region locked or is it something else?

Anyway the DVDs are on Amazon though dunno about for the UK.

evilsoup

#660 Post by evilsoup »

I can get US imports, but really I'd like to have a PAL version
it's only a matter of time before the DVDs come out over here
Apple don't pay their taxes, so I don't use their products

timmy

#661 Post by timmy »

evilsoup wrote:what
all the bronies? Quite a lot, I think :v
Yeah no I'm not picking up your tab. Meant my daughter and I.
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

Oxymoron

#662 Post by Oxymoron »

Buy the comics. They're good shit.
No.

Oxymoron

#663 Post by Oxymoron »

Infinity Biscuit wrote:Couldn't you just buy the episodes you've watched if you feel bad about your piracy?
iTuna + Region locked to North America = lolnope, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Also, I looked into buying DVDs of the thing, for me and my niece (she's not even two years old, but in a few years she might be able to enjoy it), but apparently they have an agreement or something to not release the series to DVD as long as they hold the rights to show it on TV or some other bullshit like that.

So, as far as I'm concerned, I don't have much choice if I want to watch the show.
No.

evilsoup

#664 Post by evilsoup »

god
I've got to work up the courage to go into my local comic book shop & say 'I want the my little pony comic please'
(I could get them off of Amazon, but they don't pay their taxes either so)
at least with the DVDs I will be able to say 'it's a birthday present for my niece' or something, but that wouldn't really wash for a monthly comic book

Oxy, it's standard distribution rights agreements - if you're showing something on TV, you don't want it to be out on DVD at the same time, since that would undercut your audience. It's the same reason why DVDs of films are never released until a few weeks after the end of the theatrical run.

xon

#665 Post by xon »

RogueIce wrote:stupidly priced (more than $100 for Star Trek season DVDs?)
About 5 years ago, I saw a 3 season box set for Startrek the Original series at north of $600 AUD. :psyduck:

Oxymoron

#666 Post by Oxymoron »

'Soup is probably gonna like this one

I still have to get past the first episode of TTGL...
No.

evilsoup

#667 Post by evilsoup »

haha
and yes, you do

it starts off silly (and hilarious), then there's a bit of a fallow period in the middle, then the last bit is fucking awesome
the only real problem is the dodgy as shit gender politics

Oxymoron

#668 Post by Oxymoron »

Lol, yeah, the look of that chick what's-her-face is just pure unadulterated fan-service.
No.

evilsoup

#669 Post by evilsoup »

the funny thing is, if you can ignore that she's actually a reasonably strong character
there's worse than her outfit in that show
like the episode where it turns out the entire male cast are massive paedos

Ralin

#670 Post by Ralin »

evilsoup wrote:if it was available somewhere other than iTunes, then I would
actually, I've got to look up where to buy the DVDs/if they've be released in the UK
I believe it's up on Google Play now too. Haven't checked for myself since I'm in China.

So, a friend of mine had a great idea for a fanfic.

What if human Applejack was Amish?

So, I'm going to try and write this story. The gist is that it revolves around Applejack...or should I say, Appeljack, embarking on her Rumspringa to experience the outside world before deciding if she wants to remain Amish. And she meets human Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle, who are lesbian girlfriends, and together they become embroiled in a series of wacky adventures.

Oh, and instead of bucking her enemies human Applejack kicks them in the nuts.

And then tonight I had a brilliant idea. For the finale, Y2K will finally strike, destroying modern society and ushering in a new dark age. And the Amish will rise from the ashes as the iron overlords of a tyrannical New Order.

It's going to be awesome. I need to include a part where Rainbow Dash gets all offended over being called 'English'

evilsoup

#671 Post by evilsoup »

And the Amish will rise from the ashes as the iron overlords of a tyrannical New Order.
I may just have to sig that

Oxymoron

#672 Post by Oxymoron »

This is so nuts it makes my inner squirrel go squee.
No.

Crazedwraith

#673 Post by Crazedwraith »

RogueIce wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:By too expensive i didn't really mean 'the company is selling this for an unreasonable price' I just meant its availble for more money than pirates are willing to sent. In most cases this any number above 0.
Indeed. Which is why I find it be such a non-excuse on their (the pirates, not you, sorry if I was unclear) part.

If they're not willing to spend any money on it, maybe they just shouldn't fucking have it then. People gotta eat, companies have to make payroll, and so on and so forth. The pirates are not entitled to jack and/or shit just because they want it but don't feel like paying for it.

Which is why the vast majority of them piss me off, because I suspect it has far more to do with some sense of entitlement than some principled stand over media not being available (region-locking), stupidly priced (more than $100 for Star Trek season DVDs?) or other legitimate gripes (bullshit software DRM).
Oh yeah. I get what you're from.

OTOH, I can hardly take the moral high ground with them. Since, well, I've watch a lot of stuff on youtube and other streaming sites. Like the entire runs of Batman Beyond, JLU, MLP, Scrubs and Avatar: TLA/LOA.For example and exhaustive list.

I don't like to think of myself as entitled though. I mean if something isn't on streaming sites. I'm not going to cry foul. But I guess I don't see much harm in it either. I mean if it wasn't availble I wasn't going to go out and buy the dvds for X dollar for a programme I wasn't sure I'd enjoy. So yes, I'm not doing to producers any good and that's a shame. But its not actively knocking them back in anyay either.

This is probably the exact argument that enrages you RI. LOL.

In my defense; I did buy the entire run of BB and the uncut version of ROTJ on DVD. And I'm considering doing the same for ATLA. (Though I'm not sure the series will withstand another run through. Though the fights may be better on unchoppy DVDs)

Actually got yelled at on fb by someone for buying rather than pirating the first volume of BTAS because its 'availble online anyway and the money just goes to evil fatcat american corporations'.

Anyhoo: Ponies! Didn't realise we were getting anymor episodes before the big finale. Why do they keep missing weeks?
Last edited by Crazedwraith on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralin

#674 Post by Ralin »

Oh, crap, and I left out the part where throughout the story Applejack is torn between loyalty to her family and her hitherto dormant love of poontang. My bad.

Crazedwraith

#675 Post by Crazedwraith »

truly it sounds like an epic for the ages