Testing Chat IV: A New Hope

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

Re: Testing Chat IV: A New Hope

#801 Post by Darksi4190 »

I have to agree with the NC in that I don't get the Loki-love. Not because he's a pretty boy mind you, I know how girls can go apeshit over that. It's that he's really a raging evil douchbag in the Avengers. In Thor, he's somewhat sympathetic because of the whole "orphan who's been lied to and is constantly in the shadow of his brother" thing, but in the Avengers, he has no redeeming moments whatsoever. He's evil through and through.

Flagg

#802 Post by Flagg »

Some women like assholes, apparently.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

evilsoup

#803 Post by evilsoup »

In the Avengers he's mostly pathetic

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#804 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

yeah can we not have this thread join that video in turning the appeal of loki into how girls are so bad at picking guys they have such silly reasons for liking them

why don't any of them like me

evilsoup

#805 Post by evilsoup »

damnit I talk to them for years and am always there when their shitty boyfriends treat them like shit
why won't they reward me with sex
I deserve it, I'm a nice guy!

Jung

#806 Post by Jung »

Infinity Biscuit wrote:yeah can we not have this thread join that video in turning the appeal of loki into how girls are so bad at picking guys they have such silly reasons for liking them

I suspect the problem (well, one of the problems) with the "some girls are attracted to bad boys" observation is not so much with the observation that some people behave this way as with the idea that this is some bizarre silly alien woman thing.

Look at the "Tsundere" page on TVTropes; I find the parallels with the "bad boy" archetype are rather striking. "Sure, she's unpleasant, even abusive, but I'm sure it's really just a defensive mask for her secret tender soul which, if I get close enough to her, she will allow me to see and nurture!" Sound familiar?

I suspect it's not so much a gendered thing as a facet of general human diversity in both sexes, though it's more expressed and culturally visible in women for largely cultural reasons.
Last edited by Jung on Sat May 25, 2013 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#807 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

so I spent the day in boston in far too much makeup and a wig that weighs more than my cat

but it means I get the chance to have my picture taken with fictional characters

it's like halloween in disneyland

Veef

#808 Post by Veef »

wait were you at anime boston

i'm there too

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#809 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Yeah and I'm going back today

You helping out with mecha panels again?

Flagg

#810 Post by Flagg »

Infinity Biscuit wrote:yeah can we not have this thread join that video in turning the appeal of loki into how girls are so bad at picking guys they have such silly reasons for liking them

If I had said anything resembling this I could understand the reply, as it is all I said is that some women like assholes. Which is true. Some men like dickhead women. Should I couch everything I say so as not to offend your delicate sensibilities? And think about Bounty saying the word bitch yesterday without anyone saying a goddamned thing before answering.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

evilsoup

#811 Post by evilsoup »

what happens in the secret clubhouse stays in the secret clubhouse :colbert:

Flagg

#812 Post by Flagg »

evilsoup wrote:what happens in the secret clubhouse stays in the secret clubhouse :colbert:
Good thing I never said where it happened then, isn't it, troll?
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

evilsoup

#813 Post by evilsoup »

lol

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#814 Post by adr »

so what bugs me about dvd/bluray players is...

why doesn't the PLAY button actually play the fucking film? every damn time i hit play wanting it to play but nope gotta hit that enter button in the middle instead

ugh

PS it would also be nice if the fucking ads didn't have to play
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

evilsoup

#815 Post by evilsoup »

man I tried looking up a DVD player that just skipped the adverts & the menu & went straight to the movie. The remote would only have play, pause, and ff/rw buttons (like a VHS). I was looking it up because my elderly senile great aunt definitely wouldn't be able to handle a normal DVD player (and other old relatives are sort of intimidated by their DVD players).
It doesn't exist, not even Age UK have it
which is annoying. I'm pretty sure I could put something together with standard linux video shits, though of course it would be illegal & also ugly (and more expensive than an off-the-shelf product)

Anyway, if you get a cheap knockoff DVD player, they can skip skip adverts perfectly well - they don't bother going the extra effort to conform strictly to the standards, since they're not going to pay for the special 'certified DVD player' label anyway

Veef

#816 Post by Veef »

Infinity Biscuit wrote:Yeah and I'm going back today

You helping out with mecha panels again?
i may have shouted out loud about fairies and L-gaim

and how they needed to give back my robot

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#817 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

My partner and I went to trivia contest and teamed up with two other couples sitting next to us and we ended up winning the prize of 100 dollars for the restaurant in the mall

it was fun hanging out with them and also I got a real meal when I'd been planning on eating half a sandwich for that day and also katsu curry is apparently delicious

did you go to the valvrave premiere? did they have anything there besides the eps?

Veef

#818 Post by Veef »

i did not go to the premire. i think i was standing in line for bad anime bad at the time

RogueIce
#YOLO

#819 Post by RogueIce »

evilsoup wrote:I deserve it, I'm a nice guy!
No you're not, Mister Element of Honesty. :colbert:
Infinity Biscuit wrote:My partner and I went to trivia contest and teamed up with two other couples sitting next to us and we ended up winning the prize of 100 dollars for the restaurant in the mall
Maybe I just have shitty malls around here (or more likely because I haven't been to them in years) but that's one helluva mall restaurant if it's worth about $50 per. Unless they're counting on repeat business there with that card/certificate/whatever.

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#820 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

No, the whole group of six win 100 to split. We each got a meal and either a drink or a dessert and it ended up being just slightly over the 100 including the tip. Considering the quality of the food and the prices of everything else in that mall (I could've paid 80% of the price to get a smaller meal at shitty old Panda Express) I thought it ended up being pretty great anyway.

Edit: Oh, I see another thing of ambiguity in my last post: the contest was part of the anime convention held in the convention center attached to the mall; I didn't win it at the restaurant or anything.

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#821 Post by Darksi4190 »

So i'm watching the premiere of Avengers Assemble on Disney XD, and so far i'm really pissed that they cancelled Earth's Mightiest Heroes for this show. I don't like the new art design, I don't like the new voice actors, and the plot seems incredibly boring.

This show will have to go a long way to impress me.

Losonti Tokash

#822 Post by Losonti Tokash »

too bad you're not the target audience lol

Theobromine

#823 Post by Theobromine »

Losonti Tokash wrote:too bad you're not the target audience lol
That's the thing with the genre isn't it?

If the kind of show he'd like got made, it would be cancelled and replaced because the power that be want a different demo.

See Spectacular Spiderman, Young Justice, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Hero etc.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#824 Post by RogueIce »

Infinity Biscuit wrote:No, the whole group of six win 100 to split. We each got a meal and either a drink or a dessert and it ended up being just slightly over the 100 including the tip. Considering the quality of the food and the prices of everything else in that mall (I could've paid 80% of the price to get a smaller meal at shitty old Panda Express) I thought it ended up being pretty great anyway.

Edit: Oh, I see another thing of ambiguity in my last post: the contest was part of the anime convention held in the convention center attached to the mall; I didn't win it at the restaurant or anything.
Oh, it wasn't ambiguity on your behalf, I just totally missed the "teamed up with two other couples" part. :failure:

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#825 Post by adr »

the rust programming language is absolutely hideous

look at this

Code: Select all

#[allow(ctypes)];
#[no_std];

mod zero;

extern {
    #[fast_ffi]
    pub fn write(fd: i32, buf: *u8, nbyte: uint) -> uint;
}

fn main() {
    unsafe {
        let _ = write(0, &"Hello world!\n"[0], 13);
    }
}
barf

or in rustese: bf
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!