#826 Post by Darksi4190 »

adr wrote:the rust programming language is absolutely hideous
Why would anyone call a programming language "rust?"

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

Re: Testing Chat IV: A New Hope

#827 Post by adr »

Beats the crap out of me!
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Dooey Jo

#828 Post by Dooey Jo »

probably the same reason anyone would decide the main way to signal errors in C# is exceptions then provide no way to write both manageable and exception safe code

i can't wait to continue writing this C++ server and not have to worry about resource cleanup (funny how non-deterministic garbage collection makes everything resource-related except largely trivial memory handling a fucking nightmare)
DracuLax - when even Death can't scare the shit out of you

evilsoup

#829 Post by evilsoup »

have you tried reversing the polarity

Oxymoron

#830 Post by Oxymoron »

I think I now better understand the frame of mind behind the writing of "The Salvation War" :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q2v0YuDatpc
No.

Dooey Jo

#831 Post by Dooey Jo »

evilsoup wrote:have you tried reversing the polarity
what am i a magnet

although yesterday i read a youtube argument where a person of science thought scrum people were uneducated cs people who are too stupid get a real job in a real field, because they use "velocity" to denote how many stories they typically get done in a sprint, and velocity is a vector quantity denoting blahblahblah reserved word you can't have it
(also the video had hitler in it)

actually there seems to be an internet fad where anyone can just walk around proclaiming themselves to be scientists even though i'm pretty sure they have never submitted a paper for peer review and their conclusions are highly questionable
DracuLax - when even Death can't scare the shit out of you

The Spartan

#832 Post by The Spartan »

Highly questionable conclusions don't stop someone from being a scientist.

They might be a really terrible one.

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#833 Post by Bakustra »

bad things should happen to literally everybody involved in this conversation:
That doesn't make any sense, isn't she lesbian? That's banned in Christianity, you know...
Amazingly enough there are homosexuals who are Christian!!! Revolutionary I know!!!!!
There are many versions of Christianity, some of which allow lesbianism.
Hate to break it to you but there are no such things as a multiple versions of Christianity. Try again.
Actually there is according to this troper's Comparative Religions professor. Lutheran, Episcopalian, and other notable names are modified branches off of Christianity. Same thing regarding orthodoxed or unorthodoxed branches of certain religions
A lawyer's comment on the Book of Levictus: it is only said that MALE homosexuality is prohibited. Not female.

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#834 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Baks why do you do this to yourself

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#835 Post by adr »

Dooey Jo wrote:(funny how non-deterministic garbage collection makes everything resource-related except largely trivial memory handling a fucking nightmare)
i used to c that to b a problem before i went on to d

struct destructors rok

scope guards fukin ROK (c++ can do them too but it ain't as pretty)

Code: Select all

byte* a = malloc(16);
if(a is null)
   throw new Exception("ass!");
scope(exit) free(a);

byte* b = malloc(32);
if(b is null)
   throw new Exception("FUCCCCCCCCKKKKKKK!");
scope (exit) free(b);

db.query("START TRANSACTION");
scope(success) db.query("COMMIT");
scope(failure) db.query("ROLLBACK");

File f = File("foo.baz");
f.write("LOL");

db.query("butts");
you could of course wrap it all in structs too and use the destructors liek cpp but mang this is so simple

and gc actually kinda rox too, i like it now dat i use it (though people who think it fixes memory leaks are always in for a surprise after using it a while and getting a fucking memory leak. for example a guy was using my png code to make some massive ass 2000x2000 images over and over again in a loop. i allocate a lot of memory uncaringly in it since hte typical image i create is like 100x3 so who gives a shit.

but anyway this guy was getting out of memory errors and was like "isn't the gc supposed to stop that" and when i looked at it i was like.... not really cuz in the 32 bit address space the odds that random stack shit (which would be imprecise even with an ideal D gc impl, tho currently the heap scanner is only semi precise too) will point at these huge ass arrays and they will be conservatively not-freed.

i solved the problem by just using malloc and free + some streaming shit instead of being memory-fat, it was easy enough to do

but yeah garbage collectors don't mean "no more memory leak" like ever, especially if you're a sloppy coder like i was in the first version and ppl are amazed to see this)
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

RogueIce
#YOLO

#836 Post by RogueIce »

Bakustra wrote:bad things should happen to literally everybody involved in this conversation:
That doesn't make any sense, isn't she lesbian? That's banned in Christianity, you know...
Amazingly enough there are homosexuals who are Christian!!! Revolutionary I know!!!!!
There are many versions of Christianity, some of which allow lesbianism.
Hate to break it to you but there are no such things as a multiple versions of Christianity. Try again.
Actually there is according to this troper's Comparative Religions professor. Lutheran, Episcopalian, and other notable names are modified branches off of Christianity. Same thing regarding orthodoxed or unorthodoxed branches of certain religions
A lawyer's comment on the Book of Levictus: it is only said that MALE homosexuality is prohibited. Not female.
And what were you doing there in the first place mister? :colbert:

Because that looks like Troper Tales (or whatever they call it these days) to me.

evilsoup

#837 Post by evilsoup »

I think they shut troper tales down after the youtube videos
sounds like youtube comments to me

Questor

#838 Post by Questor »

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#839 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Yeah welcome to that thread.

I'd suggest just closing that tab but your choice.

Oxymoron

#840 Post by Oxymoron »

I smell an incoming ban.
No.

Questor

#841 Post by Questor »

Infinity Biscuit wrote:Yeah welcome to that thread.

I'd suggest just closing that tab but your choice.
I dumped out after reading what I would hope was a troll post. I know it's not, but Jesus.

I'm used to being the most conservative person in a room. When Chocs isn't posting I generally assume myself to be the most conservative on this board. That's not conservative, its straight up insane.

It matters not one iota what the male wants in this case. US law (in sane states - and I assume elsewhere, but can't speak with even the limited authority I can on US law) is decidedly non-schizophrenic on this issue, despite the efforts of people like Jub to make it seem that way. The best non-controversial rulings have to do with conjoined twins (I seem to recall a really interesting* one that actually did involve abortion, but I can't find it at the moment.). Because of the nature of conjoined twins, it is possible for one to be brain dead, while the other's body keeps the body alive. Again, working from memory, but I seem to recall the ruling being something like, "There is no obligation to risk one's own life to save another." It's not an exact analogy, but it works, and is from a less controversial argument. Basically, you don't get to murder the twin, but one can demand separation in certain cases, despite the wishes of the guardian of the other.

* As I recall, a set of conjoined twins were fused at the mid torso and shared a uterus. One wanted an abortion, and the other didn't.

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#842 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Jub's posts consistently paint a picture of a person incapable of thinking about anything but how stuff affects him. I'm not sure if it's so much conservatism as blatant self-absorption.

Jung

#843 Post by Jung »

On the one hand I can see the argument that child support as is is unjust and broken

Maybe if he actually focused on this instead of "so unfair what about the menz!" whining he might get somewhere

Instead of coming off as a shitbag whining about how unfair it is that he wouldn't get to neglect his children or force somebody else to have an abortion to make his life easier

Questor

#844 Post by Questor »

As much as I think Terralthra's a nitwit in general, he's actually improved my opinion of him in that thread. He's relatively successfully defending a difficult to defend position, not giving ground despite some of TEO's worst wind-up dolls attacking him, and he's making sense.

Creating a student loan-esq system for child support would almost certainly result in better outcomes all around.

Oxymoron

#845 Post by Oxymoron »

"student loan" and "better outcome" in the same sentence sounds weird...
No.

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#846 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

See I actually like Terralthra in general which I think makes me alone in this forum. He did a good job of opening the topic into discussion with multiple viewpoints rather than a traditional-style adversarial debate before Jub derailed the thread a second time.

Flagg

#847 Post by Flagg »

Jub is your typical "If it effects me or anyone like me then I hate it" douche. This is evidenced by his "waaa Natives get benefits I don't" whinging.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Questor

#848 Post by Questor »

Oxymoron wrote:"student loan" and "better outcome" in the same sentence sounds weird...
Only if you're completely devoid of creativity, as I know you aren't so I'll assume that was just a cheap shot for laughs?

The United States is the world champion at "Right Solution, Wrong Problem." The American student loan system - when stripped of the niggling little implementation details - does two things, both of which are important given the historical and development context of high education in the US.

1. Levels the playing field (to a degree) between public and private universities.
2. Deals with the administrative divisions of the United States and the fact that outside of the two largest states, no state is able to maintain public university systems that have campuses that are good at everything.

The implementation is absolutely horrible, but the concept, of being able to defer payment on an expensive item until you have reached an earning potential where it is possible to pay it off is not a bad one. Doing it through loans is one way to achieve that. A dedicated tax would have almost all the downsides, and very few additional upsides - no upsides from the perspective of the student.

Using the same concept for child support would have all the same benefits. Clearly, there would have to be qualification requirements - if an ex girlfriend shows up and tells me I have a kid now, I'm not going to start screaming "it's not fair, give me a subsidized loan!" but if I were 15 or even 25, with a part time job, trying to go to school? What would be better, giving the child x% of a barely adequate for one person income, or giving him/her what they need now, and having me pay it back later?

EDIT: huh, I would have thought at least one UC would be in the top 20 for Pet. E. I guess that only one state can do everything, and boy are you gonna laugh when you figure out which one I'm talking about.

Oxymoron

#849 Post by Oxymoron »

It was a cheap shot, yes, considering the whole "bad implementation" thing you were talking about. Kinda burns me from the idea, especially when I come from a background where higher education is mostly free. :v

But more seriously, yeah, applying the principle to child support may be interesting, but the problem is going to be to implement it. If your guy who's still studying or just entered the workforce has to take a "child support loan" while he's already subject to a student loan ; and if the interest rates are not strictly enforced to be as low as possible... well, he's in for a ride.

You could say it's another way to encourage people to act responsibly. The end result for the child will be better, but for the situation to also be better on the guy's side you'll have to watch pretty closely the interest rates and all the side fees.

As for the "university which is good at everything", given you commentary I suppose it's not in Massachusetts. Probably not Florida either... Something in the Midwest ?
No.

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#850 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Second biggest state is Texas.