Godammed SDN

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Veef

Re: Godammed SDN

#8376 Post by Veef »

It's like how I snark at the Battletech guys

It's not just ignorance, it's willful ignorance because they don't want to acknowledge any might be better

Not that anime doesn't do stupid shit but there's so much more of it that people can learn from the good and the bad much more easily than occasionally finding good shit in the EU

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#8377 Post by Darksi4190 »

If Btech fans are robo-mormons, does that make you an otaku jehova's witness?

Who has better battle scenes depends entirely on what you're comparing. I wholeheartedly believe that the battles from the OT are better than anything from the gundam franchise. They might not be as showy due to technical limitations, but they manage to stay exciting even on the 10009987800876th viewing when you know what's going to happen already. John Williams' excellent score helps out a lot here. The music has a classical, epic feel to it that's second to none.

As for the 3D series, none of the battles there have really impressed me too much, except maybe a couple from the newer seasons.

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#8378 Post by starku »

no that's just you being a brandslave

the only thing making sw movies watchable is the performances and model work

and sorry everyone who says EPIC HORNS should just die thank you you ruined soundtracks for fucking ever
I wholeheartedly believe that i like the OT better than anything from the gundam franchise
fixed

Darksi4190

#8379 Post by Darksi4190 »

So what, anyone whose tastes differ from yours is a mindless brand slave?

Veef

#8380 Post by Veef »

No I'm an angry atheist obviously. The shitty kind that barge into religious forums to show they size of their Penis brain and how they aren't indoctrinated :v

But dude the CIWS thing was a reference to Armored Core V and not Gundam but whatever

To be honest I think the best Gundam battles are just as memorable and hold up to repeat viewings. It's just that there are way more so the quality varies greatly just due to sheer volume over decades of material.

My remarks are more directed at trying to demonstrate that Star Wars only works on a small scale. It's people on small enclosed sets or limited on location shooting and small, tightly focused space battles. It's all very theatrical but expanding the scope has the obvious effect of attempting to do what the EU does and bring "realism" into a setting that cannot support it without losing its identity.

Like imagine if Stormtroopers had fucking grenades and shotguns like they do in the games. Jedi and teddy bears would be dead.

Darksi4190

#8381 Post by Darksi4190 »

I can agree with that. The introduction of "not so evil" imperials goes against SW's nature as a morality play. There's room for good character interpretations and interactions, but there need to be clear-cut heroes and villains or it looses that mythological sense of wonder. That's one of the reasons I hated KoToR 2. Kreia's whole spheil about there being no light side and no dark side was complete bullshit. It's also why I hated the character of Vergere in the NJO.

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#8382 Post by starku »

no dude when you say 'some models wobbling around slowly is eternally entertaining and not just because i am hugely invested in it ok' i laugh

frankly all the battles lack so much spectacle and are obviously tora tora tora that its quite sad, but it's a pulp novel not scifi so whatevs

ps there is no light side and no dark side

the sides are within you

sorry you never noticed adn read too many eu novels :V

Darksi4190

#8383 Post by Darksi4190 »

Maybe it is because i'm more invested in Luke, Han and the gang than in the protagonists from Gundam AGE or UC0079, but when I see or read about the battles and conflicts they're in, I just feel a greater sense of excitement. I see a bunch of mobile suits or veritechs zooming around and sure it's cool and all, but it just seems more forgettable. I hardly think about the final battle in Macross frontier, but i'll remember the Battle of Endor as long as I live.

Mind you that doesn't qualify if the battle completely sucks like the ones in Fate of the Jedi where you're dealing with them as geriatrics who belong in rest homes.

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#8384 Post by starku »

Exactly

That was my point

Although frankly if you get excited reading about the fantastic adventures of Luke sky walker
And yet claim to not be a brand slave

Well I'd ask how many eu trilogies you own

REMEBER BATTLE OF ENDOR AS LONG AS I LIVE

You can't make this stuff up

Darksi4190

#8385 Post by Darksi4190 »

How exactly do you qualify as a brand slave? It isn't liking one thing more than another. I don't mindlessly buy up star wars products just because they have the logo on them. I don't spend 90% of my time doing SW related stuff.

I just prefer SW to most anime. I prefer WH40K to most anime too. I like X-men and the Avengers more than Superman and Batman. Does that make me a brand slave to them too?

Veef

#8386 Post by Veef »

He's trying to say you like like it more because of personal preference and not because of technical merit, which is fine but the way you're saying it makes it seem like you're not acknowledging the merits of other things.

On another note I hate it when some anime review calls Robotech a "legendary" series :argh:

Now there's some brand slaves :v

Darksi4190

#8387 Post by Darksi4190 »

I'm not saying Gundam doesn't have technical merits. I do like it a lot. Honestly I probably spend more time watching gundam than SW nowadays, but that's mostly because of the much greater amount of animated material. If I want to watch SW on a screen there's the Clone Wars series, the movies I've already seen five thousand times, and those cartoons from the late 80s, and those weren't much to write home about. On another note, when does Victory Gundam really start to take off? Because i'm about 5 episodes in and it seems like it's starting rather slowly.

Ugh. Don't remind me about Robotech. I still can't believe I payed money for Shadow Chronicles.

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#8388 Post by starku »

I just want you to realise when you say you'll always remember the battle of ENDOR it's funny as hell and I literally can't describe it to you

Try to internalise that what you worship because you were a cute little kid isn't actually related to anything other than the humour of the situation

That you say BUT I LIKE GUNDAM TOO OMG just adds to the effect

Veef

#8389 Post by Veef »

I've not seen Victory but I've heard it takes a few episodes to get going as Tomino was forced to rearrange events just to please Bandai and get the titular Gundam into the show sooner.

Darksi4190

#8390 Post by Darksi4190 »

starku wrote:I just want you to realise when you say you'll always remember the battle of ENDOR it's funny as hell and I literally can't describe it to you

Try to internalise that what you worship because you were a cute little kid isn't actually related to anything other than the humour of the situation

That you say BUT I LIKE GUNDAM TOO OMG just adds to the effect
Um. Ok then?
Veef wrote:I've not seen Victory but I've heard it takes a few episodes to get going as Tomino was forced to rearrange events just to please Bandai and get the titular Gundam into the show sooner.
At least it seems to be getting good faster than double zeta. I'm told that series gets better in the second half, but I was so disgusted with the cartoonish nature of the show I couldn't get more than five or six episodes in.

adr-admin
Site Admin

#8391 Post by adr-admin »

the way i see it btls are liek secks

by the time the shit squirts out of the long hard guns

the good part is generally over

adr-admin
Site Admin

#8392 Post by adr-admin »

so i wonder if nitram and ziggy are going to come back to the election thread

now that it is split they might have a harder time finding it

but the last few times they just kinda disappeared after pulling this same "you have to prove it STOP IGNORING ME" thing

Oxymoron

#8393 Post by Oxymoron »

Posted a thread about the French Presidential Election in N&P.

Expecting shitposts in 3... 2... 1...
No.

Questor

#8394 Post by Questor »

OK, I give.

Will someone please recommend a starting point and a place to watch these giant robot shows? They do not appear to be available from netflix except as DVDs (I don't have a problem with that, but It would be annoying).

Oxymoron

#8395 Post by Oxymoron »

Oxymoron wrote:Posted a thread about the French Presidential Election in N&P.

Expecting shitposts in 3... 2... 1...
And predictably Starglider open the bal, by reposting an opinionated piece of right-wing City's propaganda and demonstrating by the way his blissful ignorance of what is happening in France.
No.

Veef

#8396 Post by Veef »

Questor wrote:OK, I give.

Will someone please recommend a starting point and a place to watch these giant robot shows? They do not appear to be available from netflix except as DVDs (I don't have a problem with that, but It would be annoying).
Yeah most stuff is out of print or not available besides on torrent.

But what kind of show do you like?

If you want to get into Gundam, the original movies may still be on Gundaminfo's YouTube page.

Questor

#8397 Post by Questor »

Netflix has a ton of gundam on DVD, where should I start?

Veef

#8398 Post by Veef »

The original movie trilogy. Everything builds from there. It is subtitle only because the VHS era dub was horrendous and was abandoned.

adr-admin
Site Admin

#8399 Post by adr-admin »

THE ECONOMY AS A MEANS NOT AN END
In strengthening the foundations of the economy, the governing principle is the satisfaction of mankind's needs in the course of its growth and development. It is not (the pursuit) of other economic objectives (systems) , such as centralization and the accumulation of wealth and the search for profit. In materialistic schools of thought, economic activity (the economy) is its own end. This at (different) stages of growth, economic activity is a factor working for destruction and corruption and decay. But in Islam economic activity is a means. As an ultimate (lit: waiting) means there can be no more effective (instrument) on the path towards the goal.

From this point of view, the Islamic program of economic activity to provide a suitable field for the emergence of human creative power in various forms, and in this way provide equal and well-balanced opportunities, and make work, for all people, and satisfy the essential requirements of the advance towards development is the responsibility of the Islamic Government.

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#8400 Post by RyanThunder »

you know what

just for that, we're the good guys. because fuck you, and fuck all these loonytoons you keep trying to pretend are actually better statesmen then ours (while running dictatorships or theocracies) :smug: