Testing Chat IV: A New Hope

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Questor

Re: Testing Chat IV: A New Hope

#851 Post by Questor »

Oxymoron wrote:It was a cheap shot, yes, considering the whole "bad implementation" thing you were talking about. Kinda burns me from the idea, especially when I come from a background where higher education is mostly free. :v
It's not free, the costs are just distributed differently. I am actually against completely free higher education, particularly in the US, but the issues are more to do with implementation problems than they are the concept. As with so many things, the administrative divisions and area of the United States both represent a different set of problems than they might in a country with a more rational system.

As an aside, are there private universities in France? Things along the lines of Harvard or MIT (to take two examples from Massachusetts.)
But more seriously, yeah, applying the principle to child support may be interesting, but the problem is going to be to implement it. If your guy who's still studying or just entered the workforce has to take a "child support loan" while he's already subject to a student loan ; and if the interest rates are not strictly enforced to be as low as possible... well, he's in for a ride.
No doubt, but the same could be said for a dedicated tax.
You could say it's another way to encourage people to act responsibly. The end result for the child will be better, but for the situation to also be better on the guy's side you'll have to watch pretty closely the interest rates and all the side fees.
That's why I like the student loan, particularly the subsidized stafford loan, as the model. Interest rate capped (at the moment) at 3.4%, government pays interest while you're at school.
As for the "university which is good at everything", given you commentary I suppose it's not in Massachusetts. Probably not Florida either... Something in the Midwest ?
Not necessarily good at everything, but pretty close. Texas has two university systems that are both ridiculously well funded, relatively cheap (even for a non-resident) to attend, and VERY diverse. The University of California system is similar (without the relatively cheap part, I know people who picked Harvard for economic reasons), and as I said, I was astonished that no UC even made the cut in my particular choice of obscure topics. I'd expect either a UT or Texas A&M to be within the top 25 of just about any discipline I can think of, and that's being born out by searching for exotic majors. UC are the same.

EDIT: In all fairness, my ability to come up with exotic majors is HEAVILY biased towards engineering. Both of those might be bad at hydrobological analysis of post-terranian ecosystems (to come up with what I'm sure was the major of some Star Trek character) or late-medieval Chinese* literature and I'd probably have no idea how to even look for a reliable comparison.

I know it's wrong, I just don't know what the right descriptor is, and it works better for my joke for it to be wrong.

Oxymoron

#852 Post by Oxymoron »

Private Universities ? I don't know of any private "campus". On the other hand, there's quite a number of private schools in a number of different domains, mostly things to do with the tertiary sector : Commerce (management, accounting, marketing, etc...), Informatics, things to do with Hotels and Restaurants, a shitload of professional formations (plumbing, etc...)...

As for "free", well, I meant from the point of view of the "end user". The fact that costs are displaced... well, yes, that's the goal. In the end, it's just a question of knowing what amount of wealth redistribution you want the State to partake in.

Personally, I advocate for a pretty radical solution : From the total pool of revenues collected by the State (taxes, dividends, etc...), take a portion, and redistribute it to EVERYONE. Ideally, every citizens and immigrants who live here and pay taxes would touch a monthly income corresponding to something like 60-80% of the poverty threshold (to still encourage people to get jobs, you shouldn't be able to live completely off that) - minors would see this stipend be put on a locked account that they and they alone would be allowed to unlock at their majority.

In return, social spendings across the board would be reduced as pertinent. The only ones which would be left unchanged would be things like the aids given to people with disabilities and reduced autonomy (including disabled and old people).

The idea being that as EVERYONE get their "free money" from the taxes everyone pay, no one can argue that they aren't seeing the colour of their taxes.
No.

Questor

#853 Post by Questor »

Oxymoron wrote:Private Universities ? I don't know of any private "campus". On the other hand, there's quite a number of private schools in a number of different domains, mostly things to do with the tertiary sector : Commerce (management, accounting, marketing, etc...), Informatics, things to do with Hotels and Restaurants, a shitload of professional formations (plumbing, etc...)...
In the United States (and I believe MANY other countries, including European ones), there are, in addition to the "levels" of public education, there are also distinctions between private (schools that are funded solely through tuition and grants) and public (schools that are funded primarily through public appropriations from a governmental entity) universities. The public universities (service academies occupy a slightly different position, and are being ignored for the moment) are funded almost entirely by the states, with little assistance from the federal government. The universities in Massachusetts that you are thinking of as having a high density of the best universities in the world? http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/w ... ld-ranking Harvard and MIT are both private, no funding from MA other than competitive grants. On that ranking list, the top american public university is UC Berkley. American public universities are VERY good, but you have to keep in mind that from an education perspective, the US is not 1 nation, but 50.

Most students do end up going to local state schools, but what if, for example, I wanted to study petroleum engineering like my father and grandfather? No public schools in California are good at that. In my case, Texas A&M would be a good choice, but I'd be paying full non-resident tuition. That's not that onerous compared to state schools in CA, but take going the other way, non-resident UC tuition and fees can run $55,000 a year! Harvard, one of the top private universities in the world, is estimated to cost $57,000 a year. What if someone lives in, Alaska, for example? The state doesn't have the population or budget to maintain a world class university for residents.

This is one of those administrative divisions I keep harping on. I can - in theory - get a very good education for little to no cost in my home state, but if I wish to go out of state, I would have to pay more, because Texas, for example, is not going to pay for someone who doesn't belong to them to go to school there.
As for "free", well, I meant from the point of view of the "end user". The fact that costs are displaced... well, yes, that's the goal. In the end, it's just a question of knowing what amount of wealth redistribution you want the State to partake in.
Making it free to the end user is a wonderful goal, and one that in many places is pursued. Implementation details again, though...
Personally, I advocate for a pretty radical solution : From the total pool of revenues collected by the State (taxes, dividends, etc...), take a portion, and redistribute it to EVERYONE. Ideally, every citizens and immigrants who live here and pay taxes would touch a monthly income corresponding to something like 60-80% of the poverty threshold (to still encourage people to get jobs, you shouldn't be able to live completely off that) - minors would see this stipend be put on a locked account that they and they alone would be allowed to unlock at their majority.

In return, social spendings across the board would be reduced as pertinent. The only ones which would be left unchanged would be things like the aids given to people with disabilities and reduced autonomy (including disabled and old people).

The idea being that as EVERYONE get their "free money" from the taxes everyone pay, no one can argue that they aren't seeing the colour of their taxes.
We can discuss that another day...

I'm not entirely sure how coherent this post has been. I will come back after some sleep and thought and repost in a way that makes more sense if it's a train-wreck.

xon

#854 Post by xon »

"Commission on the Theft of American Intellectual Property" _http://ipcommission.org/report/IP_Commission_Report_052213.pdf
Additionally, software can be written that will allow only authorized users to open files containing valuable information. If an unauthorized person accesses the information, a range of actions might then occur. For example, the file could be rendered inaccessible and the unauthorized user’s computer could be locked down, with instructions on how to contact law enforcement to get the password needed to unlock the account. Such measures do not violate existing laws on the use of the Internet, yet they serve to blunt attacks and stabilize a cyber incident to provide both time and evidence for law enforcement to become involved.
While not currently permitted under U.S. law, there are increasing calls for creating a more permissive environment for active network defense that allows companies not only to stabilize a situation but to take further steps, including actively retrieving stolen information, altering it within the intruder’s networks, or even destroying the information within an unauthorized network. Additional measures go further, including photographing the hacker using his own system’s camera, implanting malware in the hacker’s network, or even physically disabling or destroying the hacker’s own computer or network.
They want legally permitted & mandated ransomware. What the fucking hell.

Questor

#855 Post by Questor »

For what? Are tehy talking about music and shit or actual, valuable IP? Most systems that I've seen that do that do it as a method to protect confidential information, and it usually requires client participation to make it work. As for the active network defense stuff, I've read that sort of thing in connection with cyberwarfare.

And, no I haven't read the report yet, but the context makes it clear this is not music or movies. "Cyber incident" is a giveaway term - they aren't talking about you stealing the latest Justin Bieber CD.

BTW, more context: Quote 1 is only legal now on a corporate owned device, or some other device that is submitted to corporate management, so this is clearly something different that you are trying so desperately to imply with your carefully selected quotes.

xon

#856 Post by xon »

It is rather clear that you haven't actually read the report then. The figures they give for copyright infringement "loses" are larger than all the other "loses" for every other IP violation type they list combined.

Also, the context is they are not talking about what is currently legally permissiable on corperate devices but external intrusions. And some of thier crap they "recommend" is likely not even posible without compromissing every computer connected to the internet.

Questor

#857 Post by Questor »

xon wrote:It is rather clear that you haven't actually read the report then. The figures they give for copyright infringement "loses" are larger than all the other "loses" for every other IP violation type they list combined.
Wow, are you serious?

EDIT: While trying to figure out where you got this rather bizarre pull out, I found out that it's a blatant lie! The report claims losses are likely to be comparable to $300bn dollars*. In the IP section that I quote below, they also state that the claim of $60bn for copyright violations IS TOO HIGH.
Also, the context is they are not talking about what is currently legally permissiable on corperate devices but external intrusions. And some of thier crap they "recommend" is likely not even posible without compromissing every computer connected to the internet.
From your first quote wrote:Such measures do not violate existing laws on the use of the Internet, yet they serve to blunt attacks and stabilize a cyber incident to provide both time and evidence for law enforcement to become involved.
As the describer behavior isn't anywhere close to legal on privately owned computers, simple deductive reasoning suggests that the scope of the comment as a whole refers to the places where that behavior IS legal. Do you also have trouble with the introductory clause on the second amendment to the US constitution?

You take one paragraph, from page 80, which is a section entitled "Cyber Solutions," and the entire section is laced with words like "hacker" and "cyberattack" and assume that that paragraph is talking about copyright? Are you a moron?
From the section on copyright, pp 51-53, bolding mine wrote:In 1999, a political scientist was in an economically well-developed area of China studying, ironically, intellectual property rights. While interviewing an official who worked in the Office of the Education, Science, Culture, and Public Health Committee of the Provincial People’s Congress, the researcher mentioned that he was interested in purchasing a CD-ROM set of China’s national and local laws, but even at the reduced price of $1,000, this was more than the academic could afford. The government official took the researcher to a market notorious for openly selling pirated software. The researcher walked away with the entire set for roughly $1.50.1
Copyright law protects original works of authorship that are in a fixed, tangible form of expression.2 Put another way, copyright protects the expression of ideas.3 Like patent protection, copyright was one of the early forms of IP protection afforded by the U.S. Constitution.4 While such protection originally covered tangible items like books and paintings, over time Congress and the courts have extended it to include audio recordings, movies, and computer software.5 A common form of copyright infringement is the production of pirated goods, which are any goods made without the consent of the copyright holder. These may take the form of physical books or DVDs in a market in Shenzhen or digital downloads made available to a broader audience via the Internet.6 The purpose of copyright protection, again similar to patent protection, is to maintain a positive incentive to write, create, and publish new works, since such innovation is generally seen as an overall benefit to society.7
The USITC estimates that copyright infringement is the most costly form of IP loss for the United States with respect to China, costing U.S. producers nearly $24 billion in 2009.8 Not surprisingly, IP theft has hurt the information services industry the most, with losses in 2009 of nearly $26 billion.9 Globally, some estimates place the commercial value of software theft at over $60 billion.10 Yet the true cost remains unknown for numerous and sometimes contradictory reasons. First among these is the unknown substitution rate.11 Many studies simply calculate how many versions of a particular piece of software are currently installed on computers and compare it with how many copies were sold.12 They then multiply that figure by the retail price to determine “lost revenues,” or the valuelost if all software installations had been purchased legally. The problem with this approach is that if piracy were not an option, some of these consumers, particularly in low-income economies, would never purchase the software because it is priced too high.13
On the other hand, studies that use survey methods to estimate losses may provide estimates that are too low because many companies opt to not report their losses for financial and business reasons.14 As an example, one high-tech software company that the Commission spoke to in its investigation reported that it had sold a single copy of a piece of software to a bank in China. Later, 30 million copies of software traced to that single license contacted the corporate servers of this company for software updates. Between this anecdote and countless others, it is clear that the true loss to companies from piracy is difficult to accurately measure but unarguably substantial.
China is not alone in its high piracy rates; software piracy is in fact a global problem. In 2011, many countries exceeded China’s piracy rate of 77%, including Vietnam (81%), Pakistan (86%), and Venezuela (88%).15 Yet though the higher piracy rates in these and other countries should not be ignored, the sheer size of the Chinese market makes it the most significant focus for improvement. In 2011, China had the second-largest commercial value of pirated software at nearly $9 billion. Russia was third with $3.2 billion, while first place belonged to the United States, with a commercial value of pirated software approaching $10 billion. However, with a piracy rate of only 19%, the United States had nearly $39 billion more in legitimate sales.16
Ukraine was recently declared to be a “priority foreign country” by the U.S. Trade Representative in its annual Special 301 Report—the first country given this designation in seven years.17 The report cites Ukraine’s persistent failure to combat online piracy as a primary reason for its 301 status. Most striking, however, is the pervasive use of illegal and unlicensed software within the Ukrainian government itself. Industry reports show similar findings. According to a study by the Business Software Alliance, the country’s piracy rate has hovered around 85% since 2007 and has shown no improvement.18 In contrast, Ukraine is not listed by the BSA as one of the top-twenty possessors of pirated software as measured by commercial value. Presumably, this is due to the relatively small size of the Ukrainian software market.19
While pirated software is the most highly publicized form of international and domestic copyright infringement, the entertainment industry also experiences significant losses from piracy. A 2007 study estimates that the U.S. economy loses $12.5 billion in total output annually due to piracy of sound recordings.20 A similar 2007 study estimates that movie piracy now results in total lost output among all U.S. industries of $20.5 billion annually.21 As with similar software piracy studies, however, these estimates are limited by uncertain substitution rates.22 In China, 99% of all music downloads are illegal. The total music revenue in the country for 2010, including both digital and physical sales,was only $64 million. To put this figure in perspective, it is less than total sales in Thailand, which registered $68 million in sales in 2010.23 Thailand has a population and GDP (based on purchasing power parity) twenty times smaller than that of China. If China had purchased the same amount of music on a per capita basis as Thailand, a country not known for staunch IP protections, sales would have been nearly $1.4 billion.
Yeah, the people who wrote that REALLY do agree with the RIAA. You're exactly right! Where are you getting your talking points from?

Full context of quote 2, draw your own conclusions about what they're talking about:
Recommendation:
Reconcile necessary changes in the law with a changing technical environment.
When theft of valuable information, including intellectual property, occurs at network speed, sometimes merely containing a situation until law enforcement can become involved is not an entirely satisfactory course of action. While not currently permitted under U.S. law, there are increasing calls for creating a more permissive environment for active network defense that allows companies not only to stabilize a situation but to take further steps, including actively retrieving stolen information, altering it within the intruder’s networks, or even destroying the information within an unauthorized network. Additional measures go further, including photographing the hacker using his own system’s camera, implanting malware in the hacker’s network, or even physically disabling or destroying the hacker’s own computer or network.
The legal underpinnings of such actions taken at network speed within the networks of hackers, even when undertaken by governments, have not yet been developed. Further, the de facto sanctioning of corporate cyber retribution is not supported by established legal precedents and norms. Part of the basis for this bias against “offensive cyber” in the law includes the potential for collateral damage on the Internet. An action against a hacker designed to recover a stolen information file or to degrade or damage the computer system of a hacker might degrade or damage the computer or network systems of an innocent third party. The challenges are compounded if the hacker is in one country and the victim in another.
For these reasons and others, the Commission does not recommend specific revised laws under present circumstances. However, current law and law-enforcement procedures simply have not kept pace with the technology of hacking and the speed of the Internet. Almost all the advantages are on the side of the hacker; the current situation is not sustainable. Moreover, as has been shown above, entirely defensive measures are likely to continue to become increasingly expensive and decreasingly effective, while being unlikely to change the cost-benefit calculus of targeted hackers away from attacking corporate networks.
New options need to be considered. As a first step, corporations need better information, and thus an open, two-way communications flow between companies and U.S. government agencies is more necessary than ever before. Companies cannot be asked to share more information unless they have a reasonable expectation that they will receive useful information in return, and they need protections from lawsuits if they do provide information. The Cyber Information Security Protection Act is an example of a statutory effort to address this problem, and the Commission recommends its passage.
Second, an aggressive assessment of the sufficiency of current legal norms to address the new circumstances needs to be undertaken, and new statutes should be considered. The law needs to be clarified to match common sense. The Department of Homeland Security, the Department of Defense, and law enforcement agencies should have the legal authority to use threat-based deterrence systems that operate at network speed against unauthorized intrusions into national security and critical infrastructure networks.
Finally, new laws might be considered for corporations and individuals to protect themselves in an environment where law enforcement is very limited. Statutes should be formulated that protect companies seeking to deter entry into their networks and prevent exploitation of their own network information while properly empowered law-enforcement authorities are mobilized in a timely way against attackers. Informed deliberations over whether corporations and individuals should be legally able to conduct threat-based deterrence operations against network intrusion, without doing undue harm to an attacker or to innocent third parties, ought to be undertaken.
*, pp 2 wrote:Hundreds of billions of dollars per year. The annual losses are likely to be comparable to the current annual level of U.S. exports to Asia—over $300 billion. The exact figure is unknowable, but private and governmental studies tend to understate the impacts due to inadequacies in data or scope. The members of the Commission agree with the assessment by the Commander of the United States Cyber Command and Director of the National Security Agency, General Keith Alexander, that the ongoing theft of IP is “the greatest transfer of wealth in history.”

Civil War Man

#858 Post by Civil War Man »

The second part about wanting to legalize backhacking and infecting or disabling the attacking computer also opens a pretty big can of worms, especially since a lot of attacks come from end user computers that are already infected.

Questor

#859 Post by Questor »

Civil War Man wrote:The second part about wanting to legalize backhacking and infecting or disabling the attacking computer also opens a pretty big can of worms, especially since a lot of attacks come from end user computers that are already infected.
Agreed, although most of the techniques to do that currently involve the use of the network layer to isolate the machine and disconnect it. Having actually participated in incident responses - if not quite on the scale discussed here - I can certainly sympathize with those who'd like to be able to simply turn off the infected PCs.

And they actually point that out in the huge block I quoted.

Oxymoron

#860 Post by Oxymoron »

Regardless of whether software editors want to do this or that,

I'll just point out that most government agencies and businesses (big or small) would likely be pretty pissed-off if someone tried to put the kind of "backhacking" tools in their computers that has been hinted at, given the sheer security liability they represent.

And when I say pissed-off, I mean "contract breaking"-pissed.

So it has the potential of being a rather counter-productive move for the corporations.
No.

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#861 Post by adr »

Oxymoron wrote:Personally, I advocate for a pretty radical solution : From the total pool of revenues collected by the State (taxes, dividends, etc...), take a portion, and redistribute it to EVERYONE. Ideally, every citizens and immigrants who live here and pay taxes would touch a monthly income corresponding to something like 60-80% of the poverty threshold (to still encourage people to get jobs, you shouldn't be able to live completely off that) - minors would see this stipend be put on a locked account that they and they alone would be allowed to unlock at their majority.
this here is the basic income guarantee and it is something I've been loving on for years and really enjoy seeing it coming up in a lot more places recently

but there's a few diffs with what you said: 1) it should indeed be enough to live off, if modestly. if you want to eliminate welfare payments but still force people to get jobs cuz the income is too small, you just created a new problem because jobs aren't going to ever happen for everyone barring revolution.

it should also be a realistic option for people to just quit their job at any time without being totally destitute. this way if the job is mistreating them they have a little more power to get out, or they can start their own business with less personal risk, and so on.

of course the incentive to work is still here: you make more money.

the other diff is 2) I say minor's incomes should simply go to the mother, or the guardian she designates. kids are expensive to raise so it'd go to good use there, and this also helps solve the child support question. instead of trying to get it out of the deadbeat dad individually (something that in practice often just doesn't happen at all) you just get the child's guaranteed income

i'm sure some ppl would reply to this with "WELFARE QUEENS" but fuck that noise, kids are no way to get rich I tell you what

BTW talking about this let me briefly describe how parental rights work in my fanfiction, which uses the guaranteed income system

a child has his or her own rights and guaranteed income payments that are delegated solely to the mother until majority (so basically the mother has total say, but the child, when competent, has input too).

the mother may in turn delegate these to whomever she wants, and revoke it at any time too, done individually. so she might say "my sister has input over medical decisions and my husband has the right to sign off on educational decisions and my mother has rights on financial decisions"; it doesn't have to be a package deal and isn't necessarily tied to paternity or marriage or anything, it is just whatever the mother decides at the time

the father (or anyone else I guess, no need to compel a paternity test for standing) does have the right to petition, through a neutral third party (e.g. an attorney), the mother for access, but she doesn't even have to agree to the meeting. she can tell the mediator "no and don't ask me again" and that's the end of it, this is to prevent harassment through the petition process.
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Questor

#862 Post by Questor »

Oxy, make no mistake, this document isn't about corporations other than tangentially, despite the "on the page" wording. It's advocating pre-emptive cyber warfare on a scale that actually boggles the mind. The cyber equivalent of running gunbattles down city street at one end and the equivalent of nuclear war at the other.

ADR, is this presented as a good/preferred solution, or just the way it works in the society, because, um... wow.

Civil War Man

#863 Post by Civil War Man »

Questor wrote:Oxy, make no mistake, this document isn't about corporations other than tangentially, despite the "on the page" wording. It's advocating pre-emptive cyber warfare on a scale that actually boggles the mind. The cyber equivalent of running gunbattles down city street at one end and the equivalent of nuclear war at the other.
It's like a computer networking version of Saints Row The Third.

Oxymoron

#864 Post by Oxymoron »

but there's a few diffs with what you said: 1) it should indeed be enough to live off, if modestly. if you want to eliminate welfare payments but still force people to get jobs cuz the income is too small, you just created a new problem because jobs aren't going to ever happen for everyone barring revolution.

it should also be a realistic option for people to just quit their job at any time without being totally destitute. this way if the job is mistreating them they have a little more power to get out, or they can start their own business with less personal risk, and so on.

Of course the incentive to work is still here: you make more money.
The idea I was having was that there'd still be some amount of Unemployment Benefits (UB : sum of money you touch after having lost your job), but it would come in complement of the Basic Universal Income (BUI) to ensure that the person touch 75% of its last Income (BUI + Salary), the total (BUI + UB) being limited between 100 and 200% of the Minimum Income Level (BUI + Minimum Wage).

In practice, the "Minimum Wage" would probably be lower than what it is today, but this would be offset by the employers paying the difference in taxes.

M'yeah... This is starting to sound awfully complicated, Soviet-style heavy-handed redistribution...

I'll have to rethink that.

Basically the idea was to give the employers a leverage to lower salaries (I hear they love doing that) without the workers loosing income or even gaining some depending on if the employer decide to lower salaries or not...
Last edited by Oxymoron on Tue May 28, 2013 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No.

Flagg

#865 Post by Flagg »

If anything employers need to raise salaries. And cut their own.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Oxymoron

#866 Post by Oxymoron »

And I agree with you on that.

But I was trying to see how you could implement a Basic Universal Income without forcing your economy to go bankrupt from government overspending and tax fatigue.

In practice you'd have to completely rework from the ground-up (at least) your fiscal framework for things to go smoothly, and that's the kind of endeavour which takes a decade or two to be thought-up, debated and implemented. That'd be between two and four presidential mandates and parliamentary legislatures here. Between 2 and 5 American presidents...
No.

adr

#867 Post by adr »

Questor wrote:ADR, is this presented as a good/preferred solution, or just the way it works in the society, because, um... wow.
eh when I say "in my fanfiction" it is more something I've been pondering a little rather than something that is actually presented somewhere

but I think this would actually work out pretty ok. in practice, people who have children together would share the responsibility voluntarily, and the rest comes from privacy

if the mother has the right to hide the pregnancy entirely from the father (including abortion without his knowledge or consent; iirc privacy was the argument used in roe v wade), how would the father even know he had a child? and if he doesn't even have the right to know, how could he compel access? even a dna test on the child is intruding onto the personal life of the mother, since she might not want to confirm or deny the presence of any other sexual partners

so what's the difference between her saying "I aborted that pregnancy or someone else is the dad so leave me alone" and "maybe I did, maybe I didn't, it is none of your god damned business so leave me alone"? I think we'll prolly agree the former is ok, and the only way to differentiate the former from the latter is to intrude on her personal privacy so that's out too

besides if their relationship is so bad that she isn't even willing to talk to a mediator about shared custody or whatever, do we even want to force the issue? that'd prolly cause more harm than good

Oxymoron

#868 Post by Oxymoron »

Because Timmy is the perfect example of a man, not a woman, raising kids alone, and where it is for the better interest of the kids that the mother has as little say as possible on their upbringing.

That's the problem : you over-emphasize the role of the mother, denying the father his, on a purely sexist basis.
No.

Dooey Jo

#869 Post by Dooey Jo »

adr wrote:but yeah garbage collectors don't mean "no more memory leak" like ever, especially if you're a sloppy coder like i was in the first version and ppl are amazed to see this)
ya but i'm not even talking about memory resources, but stuff like locks, network connections and various events. in C++ if you aren't wrapping your allocations in a RAII structure, you are doing it wrong anyway. i worked on a C++ project on the 3DS the other year, where memory is scarce and not virtual, and the code-base I had to work with was written by someone who was clearly afraid of the language. even the supposed "SafeDelete" function wasn't actually a function but a goddamn macro. i quickly templatised that, and then wrote a bunch of smart pointers with faked move semantics (because the compiler was not quite up to date) and lobbied for this to be utilised fucking everywhere memory is concerned. i was voted down and we ended up with products that strangely enough have lots of memory bugs

D actually has some scoping rules, although i'm not sure if you can bind a member variable's scope to that of its parent or if it's like C#'s useless "rofl local function is the only scope anyone could possibly need here have a bunch of functions wrapped up in a language construct"

pretty sure it's actually the latter

haha d is just as crap as MS Java :riker: (but its templates are nice)
DracuLax - when even Death can't scare the shit out of you

evilsoup

#870 Post by evilsoup »

ITT: ADR speak out in favour of traditional gender roles

adr

#871 Post by adr »

Dooey Jo wrote:D actually has some scoping rules, although i'm not sure if you can bind a member variable's scope to that of its parent or if it's like C#'s useless "rofl local function is the only scope anyone could possibly need here have a bunch of functions wrapped up in a language construct"
you can use destructors on structs and members just like in c++

Code: Select all

import std.stdio;

struct Test2 {
        ~this() { writeln("test2 dying"); }
}

struct Test {
        ~this() { writeln("test dying"); }
        Test2 t;
}

void main() {
    Test t;
}
$ ./test
test dying
test2 dying

classes in D aren't destroyed at end of scope (though you can manually call their destructor, including wrapping them in structs). when gc'd their destructors are virtually useless because the member variables might be gc'd before the outer destructor is run, so accessing them leads to shit. and of course when the gc runs is kinda random. not literally random, but not as easily predictable as going out of scope. so it sometimes works but you can't trust it

however structs are all raii goodness

Manus Dei

#872 Post by Manus Dei »

Oxymoron wrote:Because Timmy is the perfect example of a man, not a woman, raising kids alone, and where it is for the better interest of the kids that the mother has as little say as possible on their upbringing.

That's the problem : you over-emphasize the role of the mother, denying the father his, on a purely sexist basis.
Like seriously. Not to sound like one of those MRA nutjobs but what the christ ADR :wtc:
Ralin wrote:Finally I realized that when Walker fights the Satanic ponies I need to mention how his 'lower horn' is glowing and sparkling as it draws in and focuses Equestria's ambient magic.

Big Orangutan
Hipster

#873 Post by Big Orangutan »

Hollande in France, from what I can tell, raised taxes and the reaction this got was made a lot of the French rich cry then vacate the country.
*Insert Pretentious Quote Here*

Oxymoron

#874 Post by Oxymoron »

It's not as if they were paying their taxes anyway, so good riddance.

What annoy me is that they are still more than happy to use our healthcare infrastructures...
No.

adr

#875 Post by adr »

Oxymoron wrote:Because Timmy is the perfect example of a man, not a woman, raising kids alone, and where it is for the better interest of the kids that the mother has as little say as possible on their upbringing.
idk about his situation, but the general idea is when children are born, the mother is obviously there and obviously related, so she's an obvious starting point. How do you even identify the father? If she declines to tell you, you're out of luck.

And what if she gives his name, but says "I never want to see him again", shouldn't she have that right? Isn't it at the last logically consistent with her right not to say his name at all, thus keeping him out of it, or abort the pregnancy earlier without his input?

The situation can be different if the mother is not a competent parent (though "i'd be better" really isn't good enough, things like abuse or neglect count though), then she might lose custody against her will, or if she had a partner involved and later decides to sever ties, then he (or she) might be able to appeal that decision, saying an emotional bond has formed, or the child's own will can now be asserted.

Of course, if the mother wants to transfer custody, that's her right too.