Testing Chat V: The Final Mysterious Island: Miami Beach

The troll forum, with 50% more bowel movements.
Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

Re: Testing Chat V: The Final Mysterious Island: Miami Beach

#876 Post by Darksi4190 »

RogueIce wrote: nerdraging over just that.
This is only a tangent, but I have a question. When did the term "nerd" start to become a genuine insult in this peer group? I know it has been for a while, usually with the prefix "fat" in front of it, but I can remember a time back in high school when i'd go to SDN to socialize because it was the one place I wouldn't be called a "nerd," or if I was, it was in a friendly and humorous manner.

Somewhere along the line, it turned in to a real term of derision or mockery. People talk about how scrutinizing details makes one a "fatnerd" and thus worthy of mockery. They talk about how franchises should change long-standing elements of their franchises not because change might improve them, but because it would "piss off the nerds," and that would somehow be hilarious. It seems like some people have grown out of the sort of detail analysis this community was originally oriented towards on SDN, and now because they're embarrassed over having participated in it, they mock people who still think its fun.

I'm not making a judgement on it either way, i'm just curious when the shift occurred.

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#877 Post by Darksi4190 »

evilsoup wrote:SG1 was good before all the farscape people started turning up
I'm still annoyed that Carter wasn't made leader of the team
It's alright. She got to command Atlantis for a while, then her own battlecruiser.

Stofsk

#878 Post by Stofsk »

Self-hating nerds who are in denial basically

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#879 Post by Bakustra »

Darksi4190 wrote:
This is only a tangent, but I have a question. When did the term "nerd" start to become a genuine insult in this peer group? I know it has been for a while, usually with the prefix "fat" in front of it, but I can remember a time back in high school when i'd go to SDN to socialize because it was the one place I wouldn't be called a "nerd," or if I was, it was in a friendly and humorous manner.

Somewhere along the line, it turned in to a real term of derision or mockery. People talk about how scrutinizing details makes one a "fatnerd" and thus worthy of mockery. They talk about how franchises should change long-standing elements of their franchises not because change might improve them, but because it would "piss off the nerds," and that would somehow be hilarious. It seems like some people have grown out of the sort of detail analysis this community was originally oriented towards on SDN, and now because they're embarrassed over having participated in it, they mock people who still think its fun.

I'm not making a judgement on it either way, i'm just curious when the shift occurred.
probably because most people here are nerds that are embarrassed by all the stupid shit they got up to and thus reacting to it

someday they will join me in the ultimate heights of disdain

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#880 Post by adr »

ain't no doubt about it we were doubly blessed

cuz we were barely seventeen and we LOVED STAR TREK
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

adr

#881 Post by adr »

rememebr htat one time cloud said the first time he put on the shinra uniform he was so proud

that's lieutenant nerd to you!!

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#882 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Nerd culture is terrible and so I have no sympathy for anyone who's bothered by the term being used derisively. And I say that as someone who self-identifies as one?

Also Darksi I can't really understand why you were worried about SG-1 ending I mean the series kinda had its conclusion let's just move on to something new and fun?

Flagg

#883 Post by Flagg »

I am stating for the record that Miley Cyrus is brave and the only talented member of her family.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#884 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Isn't she the one who used black people as literal props at the VMAs?

RogueIce
#YOLO

#885 Post by RogueIce »

adr wrote:rememebr htat one time cloud said the first time he put on the shinra uniform he was so proud

that's lieutenant nerd to you!!
Maybe it's just that I like the color blue (can you tell? :v ) but I always thought those science uniforms were pretty sharp. I actually thought Picard looked damn good in his blue suit during that flash-forward scene in Tapestries and I would not be adverse to him putting the four pips on a blue collar.

Flagg

#886 Post by Flagg »

Infinity Biscuit wrote:Isn't she the one who used black people as literal props at the VMAs?
Southern hicks have used black people as props since time imemorial.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

RogueIce
#YOLO

#887 Post by RogueIce »

Darksi4190 wrote:

Why would/should you be called a nerd because you like so-called "nerdy" things? In fact why is enjoying Star Wars, Star Trek, anime, video games and whatever a "nerdy" thing to do anyway?

You know what I call people who like Star Trek? People who like Star Trek.

Do I sometimes enjoy the technical discussion? Yes I do. In fact I got rather annoyed when someone decided to barge into a topic about some movie or whatever where people on SDN were having a tech discussion and went all "but what about themes lol" in there. I got no problem with the tech-heads.

What becomes a problem is when they take that sort of thing too far and that's where nerd-as-pejorative comes in. Heck as in the example above, people here got all up on the characters/themes/etc soap box, and when I saw that being used as a smug "i'm better than you sad nerds" that was, IMO, taking it too far and annoyed me. Just like people going "but the continuity violations!" and/or "why aren't they dropping asteroids SOD broken :argh: " gets under my skin.

Yeah I used to let things like that big me, reference: the SW EU and its piles of crap. But since then I have made an effort to just accept it for what it is. If I don't like a book or movie or whatever and its part of some series or universe I do enjoy, I just ignore it and pretend it never happened as far as the 'verse is concerned.

Basically I just embraced head canon. And that is what made all the difference. :sun:

adr

#888 Post by adr »

RogueIce wrote:Maybe it's just that I like the color blue (can you tell? :v ) but I always thought those science uniforms were pretty sharp.
Aye, and I think the tng uniforms were just the best of the bunch too, though the tos movie ones are major competition. Simple yet elegant I say.
I actually thought Picard looked damn good in his blue suit during that flash-forward scene in Tapestries and I would not be adverse to him putting the four pips on a blue collar.
i'm pretty sure we've never, not once through all of star trek, seen a blue shirted captain :<

even when spock got his promotion he switched to the white undershirt

tbh though the reason i didn't pin on moar pips is just that i don't want that kind of responsibility. the pressure of command would be too much for me

evilsoup

#889 Post by evilsoup »

didn't one episode have Beverly as a captain of a medical ship in the future? I can't remember what uniform she was wearing though

adr

#890 Post by adr »

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#891 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

Man speak of Trek uniforms

I think the Abrams versions are just killer

Like they're just TOS in ultra high fidelity but it works really well

Crazedwraith

#892 Post by Crazedwraith »

adr wrote: i'm pretty sure we've never, not once through all of star trek, seen a blue shirted captain :<

even when spock got his promotion he switched to the white undershirt

tbh though the reason i didn't pin on moar pips is just that i don't want that kind of responsibility. the pressure of command would be too much for me
Captain Braxton of the future had a blue shirt. With four chevrons.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... axton2.jpg
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

Veef

#893 Post by Veef »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jBeSfnIT_Bw

man after like four Iron Man movies it's pretty impressive they someone could make a robot guy look really cheap and fake

and this trailer is a bit too michael keaton-y

The Spartan

#894 Post by The Spartan »

No.

No. No. No. No. No.

The Spartan

#895 Post by The Spartan »

No.

Oxymoron

#896 Post by Oxymoron »

Let's see if I am the only one for whom the joke had to be explained :
No.

Crazedwraith

#897 Post by Crazedwraith »

there's a joke there?
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

Oxymoron

#898 Post by Oxymoron »

I'll wait a bit before answering.
No.

evilsoup

#899 Post by evilsoup »

I know there's an anime going the rounds called attack on titan or something like that
related
???

adr

#900 Post by adr »

Crazedwraith wrote:Captain Braxton of the future had a blue shirt. With four chevrons.
awesome