Testing Chat IV: A New Hope

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
The Spartan

Re: Testing Chat IV: A New Hope

#901 Post by The Spartan »

Aaron wrote:Its better to be a victim of nerve gas, its instant death versus a chance of death and a more likely chance of disability and shit quality of life until you die.
Are the effects of nerve gas really all that instant?

I'm hardly an expert, but I got the impression that it was a horrific way to die if still shorter than the lingering effects of inhaling something like mustard gas.

Aaron
El Duderino

#902 Post by Aaron »

Depends on the gas, concentration, etc.

Sarin kinda involves you shitting and vomiting yourself while falling into a coma and then dying, actually thats common to most types. I'll still take that over a lifetime of burnt lungs.

They can have some wierd effects if you live though, Soman has apperently been linked with depression, antisocial behaviour and nightmares after treatment for low exposure.

I guess its more of a subjective thing on my part. Having lived with chronic pain for 13 years, I'd rather suffer for a short period and die then live in even worse pain.

Now all that said, if they did use them, then we better get involved. Unless the eventual new Syrian government plans on just blocking the areas off, they'll want and need help decontaminating the areas, as well as the leftover weapons. That'll be us again.

Oxymoron

#903 Post by Oxymoron »

I don't think there's going to be a new "Syrian Government" for a little while. At least not unitl we ("The West") bake / back a group with enough weapons and boots on the ground to do Irak all over again. Or until somehow and through some kind of sorcery the "syrians" (all the various ethnic groups making up syria) manage to put all their differences behind them, at least enough to stop killing each other and start establishing a coalition government.

One way or another this is going to take time and a whole lot more dead people.
No.

Aaron
El Duderino

#904 Post by Aaron »

Yup

Oxymoron

#905 Post by Oxymoron »

Aaron wrote:Depends on the gas, concentration, etc.

Sarin kinda involves you shitting and vomiting yourself while falling into a coma and then dying, actually thats common to most types.
I can't remember if it was Sarin or another neutoxin that, in The Salvation War, the Russians used against the demons at some point ; but the description of the effects involved IIRC seizures strong enough as to literally tear your own muscles apart.
No.

Big Orangutan
Hipster

#906 Post by Big Orangutan »

The History sub-forum is a bit more animated than usual.
*Insert Pretentious Quote Here*

Oxymoron

#907 Post by Oxymoron »

In a good or a bad way ?
No.

Aaron
El Duderino

#908 Post by Aaron »

Oxymoron wrote:
Aaron wrote:Depends on the gas, concentration, etc.

Sarin kinda involves you shitting and vomiting yourself while falling into a coma and then dying, actually thats common to most types.
I can't remember if it was Sarin or another neutoxin that, in The Salvation War, the Russians used against the demons at some point ; but the description of the effects involved IIRC seizures strong enough as to literally tear your own muscles apart.
:lol: No.

Sarin is easily transformed into a gas (relative to other agents), highly toxic (again compared to other agents) and it can kill in under a minute but you won't look like the boneitis dude from Futurama.

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#909 Post by Darksi4190 »

So Stuart got a fact wrong.

I'm shocked.

Aaron
El Duderino

#910 Post by Aaron »

*shrug* artistic license.

He does have a bachelors in chemical engineering, so he's not a dunce.

Oxymoron

#911 Post by Oxymoron »

As I said, I'm (edit : "not") sure if it was Sarin or something else...

... And now I feel compelled to check... Dammit.
Last edited by Oxymoron on Wed May 29, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No.

Aaron
El Duderino

#912 Post by Aaron »

Please do, cause I'm not aware of any nerve agents that do that. Seizures are a common symptom though.

Oxymoron

#913 Post by Oxymoron »

Found it (it's Stuart, so it's clinically graphic) :
The Salvation War : Armageddon, Part 63 wrote:It had many names. Some called it 2-(Fluoro-methylphosphoryl)oxypropane, others preferred O-isopropyl methylphosphonofluoridate. The military eschewed such long-winded nomenclatures and just called it GB. The world at large knew it as Sarin.

The great black rockets with their gaudy yellow markings had been launched all down the line. This is what they had been waiting for, when their ability to saturate an area with fire could be turned to best advantage. As the rockets had started to descend, the outer casing had been discarded and the ranks of sub-munitions had been exposed. Further down, those sub-munitions had started to be launched and they had formed a spreading pattern that resembled a great shotgun blast. It was the same mechanism that the Americans had used to bring down the hideous steel rain that had destroyed Abigor’s Army. Only this time, when the sub-munitions detonated they didn’t bring down a curtain of steel fragments or blast from shaped-charge munitions. First they started to spin and the action mixed the charges of methylphosphonyl difluoride and a mixture of isopropyl alcohol and isopropyl amine. They reacted to form the Sarin and then the sub-munitions burst to release a fine gentle rain, one that none of the screaming hordes of harpies below even noticed for the liquid was colorless and odorless. The only thing that Beelzebub and his Army did notice was that the human mage-fire that was pounding the bank of the Phlegethon furthest from the Russian positions had ceased.

Every so often, in a battle, for no apparent reason, the noise stops. The gunfire, the roar of the artillery, the growls, whines and snarls of engines, the demented shriek of depleted uranium bolts hitting steel armor, the crackling grumble of fires, the screams of dying men stop and there is an eerie silence. So it was as the Sarin descended on the positions under harpy attack. The Russian guns stopped firing so that the passage of their shells through the air would not disturb the blanket of chemical warfare agent that had been so carefully calculated. Beneath, the Russian motor rifle units were sealing down, hoping that the overpressure systems on their vehicles had survived the harpies and that their chemical warfare suits were proof against the gas. In case it wasn’t they had their atropine injectors ready but the truth was that even if they used them the gas would wreck their bodies. With atropine they would survive but they would never again be the men they had been once.

Uxaligantivaris concentrated on the Iron Chariot that was under her claws. She and her companions were ripping at it with their claws and breathing fire over it as fast as their bodies could recharge their gas sacks. They had used so much of the fire-gas that they had lost the ability to fly but it didn’t matter that much. All that mattered was to keep the Iron Chariots under attack so that the foot soldiers following them could destroy the defenses. Then she shook her head slightly, Hell was a dim place, its light levels low and subdued but suddenly she could see everything was becoming bright and clear to her. So bright that the light was hurting her eyes in a way that she had never experienced before. She looked at another harpy that had stopped ripping at the iron projections on the chariot and saw that her flight-mate’s eyes were strange, the slitted black pupil had contracted to a fine line, almost invisible in the yellow of her eyes. Her nose was running, mucus streaming out of it and coating her chest. Uxaligantivaris touched her own nose and realized that she too was streaming fluids from her nose and that there was a strange tightness in her chest, as if she was having problems breathing. In fact, she realized, that was exactly it, she was having problems getting her ribs to suck air into her lungs. The effort was making her feel sick and she could feel herself drooling uncontrollably. She couldn’t help herself, she vomited helplessly and felt her body loosing strength. Across from her, the other harpies were collapsing as well, vomiting on to the Iron chariot that was now forgotten as the agony took hold of them. Her flight-mates were defecating and urinating like helpless kidling, their bodies twitching and jerking as they tried to escape the unseen thing that was inflicting this terrible end on them. Uxaligantivaris felt her muscles become paralyzed and she slipped down the side of the Iron chariot to lie on the ground spasming and writhing as the Sarin destroyed her nervous system. Eventually, what seemed like an age later, she found herself slipping into unconsciousness and never felt the series of massive convulsions that fractured her bones and tore her muscles while she died of suffocation.
Highlighted the interesting bit.
No.

Aaron
El Duderino

#914 Post by Aaron »

If it is that violent, then its news to me. But you're out of it by then anyways.

Oxymoron

#915 Post by Oxymoron »

Admittedly, it's

1) A demon
2) A flying creature

So her muscles would be more powerful and her bones lighter than that of the average human.
No.

Oxymoron

#916 Post by Oxymoron »

But yeah, from the description it seems relatively painless.

Still, it's fucking scary to face such a thing on the battlefield.
No.

Aaron
El Duderino

#917 Post by Aaron »

We all pretty much expected to die if we got gassed, especially the dudes who had been in Iran/Iraq in '88.

Oxymoron

#918 Post by Oxymoron »

There were expectations of gas attacks in the Balkans ?

(don't feel forced to answer if you don't want to and tell me if I'm going too far)
No.

Aaron
El Duderino

#919 Post by Aaron »

Huh?

Oh, lol, theres always some level of threat. Afghanistan is considered to be low, as were the Balkan's...iirc. It changes as well from time to time. Some asshole could drive a truck full of chlorine into your position and you'd have no more advance warning then, "hey Kendall, whats that truck doing?"

But generally the risk of a proper NBC threat has been low on our operations. Still had to train for it though.

The Spartan

#920 Post by The Spartan »

I'm starting to think it's going to become this decade's version of 1980's Lebanon.

Oxymoron

#921 Post by Oxymoron »

Given it was before I was born and I didn't pay too much attention to that conflict in my readings... What do you mean here ?
No.

The Spartan

#922 Post by The Spartan »

Long civil war between multiple factions that no one outside really does much of anything about with the result that an entire generation of the country will reach adulthood having known nothing but war.

Flagg

#923 Post by Flagg »

The Spartan wrote:Long civil war between multiple factions that no one outside really does much of anything about with the result that an entire generation of the country will reach adulthood having known nothing but war.
And in twenty years when they finally have their shit together Israel can unjustifiably bomb their infrastructure into the Stone Age!
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Oxymoron

#924 Post by Oxymoron »

Well, Israel already got that underway in the case of Syria...
No.

Big Orangutan
Hipster

#925 Post by Big Orangutan »

Oxymoron wrote:In a good or a bad way ?
In a moderately goodish way.
*Insert Pretentious Quote Here*