Godammed SDN

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
adr-admin
Site Admin

Re: Godammed SDN

#9201 Post by adr-admin »

starku wrote:you mean like all those other drivers they push out through windows update right
no

seriously that's not similar at all

Shroom Man 777
The Mang, the Myth, the Legend.

#9202 Post by Shroom Man 777 »

god bless you strak

srsly i asked malachuschus to make that STRAK STRAK STRAK duck thing because in my brain that's what i imagined whenever i see someone go livid after being strakked

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#9203 Post by starku »

adr wrote:no

seriously that's not similar at all
yes dear its ok

its like apple offering its software through its online store is bad right

the saddest part is that psuhing it to everyone else is trivial so other established ms problems are probably to blame
or even mentioning that it exists

OBVIOUSLY ADS ILLEGAL IN EU CAUSE SOMETHING

ps did you ever read operation ajax or are you still too afraid of touch interfaces

adr-admin
Site Admin

#9204 Post by adr-admin »

btw MSE is available on windows update

top of the list on "optional downloads" on my box

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#9205 Post by starku »

whoa

obv it doesn't show for me cause i got it

but it sure wasn't when it came out

hilariously bing desktop

CLEARLY ILLEGAL TO OFFER

acutally it's a bit of a laugh; apple has used the app store format to totally replace it's software update function, which makes this stuff more visible while at the same time giving a consistent function across all apple devices

ms still uses that shittly list symbol (seriously what is that icon supposed to be) hidden in an invisible tray that offers people a list of meaningless KB63751372 UPDATES and optional stuff it's likely nobody ever looks at

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#9206 Post by RyanThunder »

Maybe Apple has a patent on their app store format. Like how Bill Gates has a patent on using the human body as a power source. Potentially implying that every time I fart, I owe him a quarter.

adr-admin
Site Admin

#9207 Post by adr-admin »

starku wrote:CLEARLY ILLEGAL TO OFFER
offering a competing product isn't illegal

but using a monopoly position in one market to give your other product an unfair advantage over its competitors is

come on surely you've heard of the problems microsoft had with internet explorer and windows media player over this issue

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#9208 Post by starku »

nah other guys have multiple stores

i mean steam is an obvious example and they push out all kinds of stuff

but android has liek eighteen different store systems

the ms update stuff is just really antiquated and backwards

i mean the update symbol doesn't even have a badge that says 'lots of updates' or 'important ones' or whatever
you either get nagged with hugely annoying popups or download everything silently

adr-admin
Site Admin

#9209 Post by adr-admin »

btw the big difference between pushing mse on you and doing like nvidia driver updates is that with nvidia or office or whatever, the sale is already made

windows update is not undercutting the competition; both can use it equally after the sale and it doesn't push any one option before the sale

but if they pushed mse in your face that'd give it an unfair advantage over thrid party virus scanners

boot windows and there's a giant note CLICK HERE TO INSTALL MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS FOR FREE

why would you bother even considering mcafee or symantec?

now since it is on the windows update list which i think is fairly recent indeed

the lawyers prolly figured they are in the clear to make it more convenient

but putting it as a default popup or something would surely get them smacked down

iirc it did for internet explorer 8

yea basically:
http://www.techexplorer.in/2009/08/ie8- ... r-anymore/
Microsoft seemed to take advantage of the two options that are presented prior to IE8 installation – ‘Express’ and ‘Custom’. An average user would go for the ‘Express’ option (as it requires least user intervention) instead of ‘Custom’ and this did Microsoft a favor. The ‘Express’ install reportedly sets IE8 as the default browser which is a direct loss to other browsers.

Agreeing to the orders of the federal judge, Microsoft accepted its fault and released an update to fix this. Now users will see a pop-up prior to IE8 installations asking them whether or not IE8 be the default browser.

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#9210 Post by starku »

That's why no os vendor can offer their software because of the jews I mean europs

Ps they can just make it not happen in europe anyway

Or like the malware removal tool that is illegal

Frankly I don't get why it's not just an internal windows function anyway ; good thing ms has heaps of internal pressures that account for that lol

Zod
perkele

#9211 Post by Zod »

they only slap down microsoft because they're such a large company

but there's been rumlings that europe is looking at apple for the same thing since they've gotten so big

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#9212 Post by starku »

Microsofts lock on earlier windows was actually a bad thing given how awful their shit was across a period of huge growth in normal people using computers online

Mobile platforms (except the android wasteland lol) are more tightly controlled and don't seem to have such naive problems so I can't see the downside

And they never went after valve :v

adr-admin
Site Admin

#9213 Post by adr-admin »

starku wrote:That's why no os vendor can offer their software because of the jews I mean europs
the browser thing was american judges too but the eu jews has stricter regulations on business than the united states so it comes up more often there
Frankly I don't get why it's not just an internal windows function anyway ; good thing ms has heaps of internal pressures that account for that lol
i'm sure the threat of lawsuits from mcafee and symantec has nothing to do with it at all

i know it is easier to throw discriminatory insults than to cure your ignorance problem but really this stuff actually happens to microsoft and surely that fact influences their decision making process

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#9214 Post by starku »

Are you saying its illegal for an os to make third party apps redundant by adding features

Because that's hilarious

Slideshow software industry elimated by apple quick call the Hague
Native PDF readers illegal in Europe

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#9215 Post by starku »

Phone companies sue blackberry for ruining SMS gravy train
FaceTime illegal because of Skype
Windows event logger probably illegal because of norton commander

Zod
perkele

#9216 Post by Zod »

google ordered to pay a fine for making maps free http://www.pcworld.com/article/249198/g ... _free.html

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#9217 Post by starku »

Six hundred whole thousand and no order to stop

I'm sure google is bankrupt now lol

Neatly explains why there are no free map services in Europe

Hang on

adr-admin
Site Admin

#9218 Post by adr-admin »

starku wrote:Are you saying its illegal for an os to make third party apps redundant by adding features
no

how can you be so ignorant and so arrogant at the same time?

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#9219 Post by starku »

Sorry you said norton would sue if ms hit their market by making their product less useful

So what does that mean exactly

Besides protectionism lol

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#9220 Post by Bakustra »

not to distract or anything but I love it when I run up against the limits of teo when being completely sincere

now all i have to do is get them to admit outright that their rules are really just bullshit for all their high-mindedness

adr-admin
Site Admin

#9221 Post by adr-admin »

my god just read any one of the anti trust microsoft cases you can even find some on wikipedia

they all have similar themes

microsoft windows has a monopoly position in desktop computing

this position is dominating and has a high barrier of entry for ocmpetitors

thus it is applicable to anti trust stuff

now if they use their strong position in this one market to leverage someone out of another market that is monopoly problem

if they compete just like any other third party and crush them that's just business

but if they use windows to push one of their other products that becomes monopoly practice and they tend to lose

when they bundled ie, the us govt and netscape sued and microsoft lost

when they bundled windows media player, the eu sued and microsoft lost (big)

when they used windows update to promote internet explorer 8, mozilla and opera sued and microsoft lost

i think they got sued by zonealarm or someone over windows firewall too but i can't find a link on that so it might not be true

but all of the above are well documented cases in the very same vein as we're discussing here

now what do you think would happen if they bundled mse and/or used windows update to promote it at the exclusion of the competition?

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#9222 Post by starku »

So you ARE saying hitting someone else's market by integrating new features is illegal

Which you just said you weren't

The laugh for me is that wmp is still shipped with windows

adr-admin
Site Admin

#9223 Post by adr-admin »

the problem is specifically due to anti trust laws, not bundling in general

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#9224 Post by starku »

is that why wmp is in some disabled state in new windows and you have to 'opt in' to get it working?

adr-admin
Site Admin

#9225 Post by adr-admin »

i think that's diff; being present but disabled still gives an advantage to microsoft since it is still the easiest thing

in the eu, microsoft had to do separate editions of windows without wmp and let users choose which version they want (and users and oems both overwhelmingly chose the bundled version because why the fuck wouldn't they)

wikipedia says south korea was even stricter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_xp ... ic_markets

saying they couldn't bundle wmp at all in that country so it always had to be as separate download. i didn't know about this one until just now tho and their source doesn't give all the info of the article so might not even be totes true