Weeaboo shit thread

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
F.J. Prefect, Esq

Re: Weeaboo shit thread

#951 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

Infinity Biscuit wrote:Gatchaman Crowds has managed to be one of those rare things where it upset me so much I had to stop watching and also this isn't a complaint against the show
Man what episode did you just watch

I'm trying to think of what would be most emotionally traumatic

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#952 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Well episode 7 kind of primed it all up for me and then at the start of episode 8 I just had to pause it and then realised I didn't want to ever unpause it

rui no oh no : (

phongn

#953 Post by phongn »

evilsoup wrote:actually can anyone recommend anything else in this genre, I've been suitably impressed that I want to see more.
I was fond of Magic Knights Rayearth and Sailor Moon (though it's full of filler)
evilsoup wrote:
but why do animes always kill off my favourite characters, poor Sayaka

evilsoup

#954 Post by evilsoup »

phongn wrote:
evilsoup wrote:actually can anyone recommend anything else in this genre, I've been suitably impressed that I want to see more.
I was fond of Magic Knights Rayearth and Sailor Moon (though it's full of filler)
evilsoup wrote:
but why do animes always kill off my favourite characters, poor Sayaka
That's a pretty spot-on parallel. Are there any references to it in the show or..?
I didn't know about the air-spirits bit of that story, I thought it ended with her just dying.

Anyway, I'm not saying I dislike that the story does all that to Sayaka -- I mean, I do dislike it, but it's the good kind of dislike, if that makes sense. Her breakdown and transformation was the most powerful part of the story for me.

Her ending is the thing that's really stayed with me since finishing the cartoon. It just seems so ridiculously unfair. I mean, it's thematically spot-on with the self-sacrifice theme of the thing... but at least Madoka's sacrifice of being eternally separated from everything and forgotten by everyone except Homura is the result of altering the fundamental laws of the universe and making the world an objectively better place. Sayaka sacrificed her life so that her childhood crush could play the violin again...

I mean, never being able to play his instrument again really sucks, but it seriously isn't worth her killing herself over. If she wasn't a twelve year old blinded by twue wuv she might recognise this (:argh: Kyubey).

And even if she did become a MaGiCaL gIrL for it -- fine, but then why does she have to die in the new timeline? She probably wouldn't even find out about the soul extraction thing, so there's at least one less source of angst. I guess she was just stuck in THE FRIENDZONE and too scared to get out of it regardless... but, shit, Kyoko's wish backfired to a much worse extent and she didn't kill herself over it. OTOH it would have cheapened the effect of her original downfall if she was just alive and well in the new universe.

(I also think that having such a young girl sacrifice herself like that and for that reason -- and having the narrative support that as a noble and right action -- is sending out a pretty fucked-up message. That doesn't lessen its power, but it does bug me.)

I might just write a fanfic where Sam Beckett Quantum Leaps in there and mansplains everything better though :v
Also I did get linked to a video of a fight from Pretty Cure once, and it was pretty hilariously awesome (heart-shaped laserbeams etc.) Worth watching y/n?

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#955 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Did you really feel the story showed Sayaka's choice there as a noble and right action? I got an entirely different impression, that it was a mistake of hers. An understandable one, especially given her youth, but still a mistake.

evilsoup

#956 Post by evilsoup »

at the time she originally did that, yes, though it was less her personal mistake and more circumstance (and that fucking bunnycat) conspiring against her -- becoming a magical girl is one thing, but that doesn't make her breakdown inevitable (see: Kyoko, whose entire family died due to her wish but who managed to avoid becoming a witch).

But then you have the final episode, the scene with the violin recital, where Madoka and Sayaka are sitting there,
SAYAKA: Sorry. I guess I caused you a lot of trouble.

MADOKA: No, I should apologise to you. In order to save you, I don't have a choice but to erase everything that's happened. But if I do that, this future will have to disappear. I know this isn't the way you thought things would turn out, but I do think this is the way you want it to be. Your wish was a precious gift and you sacrificed so much for it. I have to honour it, respect it. Because it wasn't meaningless. So.

SAYAKA: ...I'm OK with that. Yeah, I'm OK with that. I mean, all I really wanted was to hear him play again, you know? I wanted everyone to hear him play that violin of his. The more people the better. Just remembering that again is enough for me. I don't have any regrets any more. I guess one thing still bothers me a little... but it's Hitomi, so I'll let it slide. Kyoskey doesn't deserve a girl as cool as her. I'm sure the two of them will be very happy, won't they?

(Sayaka's crying at this point)

MADOKA: Mmmhm.

MADOKA: Well, are you ready to go?

SAYAKA: Yeah.
which is fucking beautiful, and rewatching it made me tear up a little, but... here we have them talking with a bit of hindsight. Madoka's become God and Sayaka isn't in the spur of the moment anymore, and they both still choose the boy's violin-playing over Sayaka's life.

You can argue that they're still both kids, but the way it's presented is almost like the show talking right to you. It's perfectly in-character, it's beautiful, and Madoka choosing not to negate her friend's choice is... well, she's right in that it's not really her place to make that choice. It's like one of those stories where love and courage triumph, and stuff. But it's still an attitude that makes me a little bit uncomfortable. Shades of beauty and the beast syndrome, you know? That all-encompassing sacrifice everything for your man attitude.

Put it this way: I don't think this scene would ever happen with a male character in a giant robit show.

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#957 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

Infinity Biscuit wrote:Well episode 7 kind of primed it all up for me and then at the start of episode 8 I just had to pause it and then realised I didn't want to ever unpause it

rui no oh no : (
Berg Katse villain of the year
evilsoup wrote:Also I did get linked to a video of a fight from Pretty Cure once, and it was pretty hilariously awesome (heart-shaped laserbeams etc.) Worth watching y/n?
There's a lot of Pretty Cure. Some shows are more worth watching than others. People like the idea of Pretty Cure because it's a totally genuine made for kids aired on Saturday mornings magical girl show where everyone is kung fu fighting, but you gotta remember that it's still made for kids. HeartCatch is quite well regarded, and DokiDoki, which is airing currently, had people losing their shit.
Infinity Biscuit wrote:Did you really feel the story showed Sayaka's choice there as a noble and right action? I got an entirely different impression, that it was a mistake of hers. An understandable one, especially given her youth, but still a mistake.
I don't think the story shies away from showing Sayaka's wish as really selfish. I don't think that it shows her as making a mistake, though. That suggests the bad consequences were the result of some kind of accident, as opposed to the consequences of what was a deliberate decision. I mean before she makes the wish Sayaka knows that it's just her own selfishness, but she goes ahead with it anyway.

evilsoup

#958 Post by evilsoup »

I think it was heartcatch that I got a link to

A lot of Sayaka's problems stem from her trying to deceive herself that her wish wasn't selfish, I think
that and finding out that she's a zombie

evilsoup

#959 Post by evilsoup »

watching serial experiments lain now
'this is why you shouldn't take facebook so seriously
just because someone tells you on the internet to shoot up a nightclub doesn't mean you should'
idk it's pretty funny to see what they thought computers were going to look like
that bear onesie is pretty cute though, and seeing her dad all engrossed in a computer screen is realistic and a bit creepy

jesus christ her mum is pretty much the worst
oh man the classmates. Some guy shoots up a nightclub: 'was he cute?' (to be fair it looks like they're going to give that weirdness a bit of focus so)

Oxymoron

#960 Post by Oxymoron »

That series is golden. Just don't expect to really understand what the heck is going on.

But stay tuned because things are going to become more and more... weirdsome.
No.

evilsoup

#961 Post by evilsoup »

yeah I am liking it so far (once I stopped using the godawful dub, christ)

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#962 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

I was just thinking of Serial Experiments Lain the other day (particularly how Lain's classmates are all 'let's go to this nightclub!')

It's a really fascinating series. I've been thinking I should watch it again. Hope you enjoy it.

Veef

#963 Post by Veef »

Zablorg
Baron of the Burrito

#964 Post by Zablorg »

yeah you literally posted just as i was going to say

today's watamote was relatively positive :3

Veef

#965 Post by Veef »

yeah it ended on a high note after all the bleeding and puking

Zablorg
Baron of the Burrito

#966 Post by Zablorg »

I'm actually curious as to how they'll handle ending it next episode. Like she seems to have gotten a whole lot of nowhere so far. I figured it might end in some personal epiphany but the manga is still ongoing, so.

Veef

#967 Post by Veef »

yeah these short manga based series always seem to end in a weird place

like Soremachi managed to kludge a weird near death experience into a good end but something like Squidgirl just peter out twice over :L

evilsoup

#968 Post by evilsoup »

lol now my little bro is drawing bears & wants a bear onesie

Oxymoron

#969 Post by Oxymoron »

I really love the opening song.
No.

evilsoup

#970 Post by evilsoup »

yeah it's nice
it was pretty funny RE: JAPAN when I reached the end credits
'oh so that's where they're putting the mandatory naked 12-year-old in this show'

Veef

#971 Post by Veef »

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#972 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Shit went down after the credits

also hello there rei/rin confrontation scene

Veef

#973 Post by Veef »

YOU'RE A LOOSE CANNON, MATSUOKA-SAN!

I WANT YOU OFF THE FORCE!

the swimming force

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#974 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

I'm curious why he got dumped into his 100m freestyle event where he barely qualified, considering his specialty is butterfly, isn't it? Or was he just dumped there because Haru had total dibs on freestyle when they were together?

Veef

#975 Post by Veef »

I don't recall if a butterfly landed on Rin's hair to hit me over the head with the symbolism but I thought he was also a freestyle guy.