Why is Darth Wong so hated on this site

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
DarthYAM

Why is Darth Wong so hated on this site

#1 Post by DarthYAM »

Quite a bit of mentions of him seem to be accusing him of being a tyrant. I read over many of his posts and never got that. There have been plenty of people who disagree who were never ever banned and I've seen him back down. Also, having read over the parting shots I saw nothing misleading about what he said. There were rules about how you don't insult the mods, they were ignored, and finally most importantly of all, it ignores that a lot of the tyrannical accusations were made when wong wasn't around, leaving me to believe that evil soup and others did break the rules and were not unfairly booted. So why is Lord Wong so hated?

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

Re: Why is Darth Wong so hated on this site

#2 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

I say this as someone who likes Wong better than most of this board, but think about this for a second. If the perpetrators are breaking the rules and the administrator (who both sets and enforces the rules) is following the rules, does that mean the administrator cannot be acting like a tyrant?

Count Chocula
Liberal

#3 Post by Count Chocula »

Whatever, Mike. Have a nice life.
"We've already had this discussion before. I treated you of barbaric caveman then." - Oxymoron

"He killed 80 people in 2 days"
"...he's adopted." - The Avengers

evilsoup

#4 Post by evilsoup »

Oh, I totally & knowingly broke the rules
It's wrong to tar king adam the great and backustra with that brush though, they were definitely banned for disagreeing with him
then he deleted all of adr's posts ever, I guess because he couldn't let evidence of dissent from his narrow worldview stand (<--this is the reason he gets called a tyrant)

zhaktronz

#5 Post by zhaktronz »

Could never admit he was wrong, failed to understand how engineer skills might not be applicable across disciplines.

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#6 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

DarthYAM wrote:So why is Lord Wong so hated?
For pretty much exactly this statement.

Sandman

#7 Post by Sandman »

Nothing combines the terms 'cult of personality' and 'pathetic' quite like having acquired the title 'Lord' from a bunch of fattynerds on an internet forum.

Aaron
El Duderino

#8 Post by Aaron »

Who cares, get on with your life.

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#9 Post by Bakustra »

DarthYAM wrote:Quite a bit of mentions of him seem to be accusing him of being a tyrant. I read over many of his posts and never got that. There have been plenty of people who disagree who were never ever banned and I've seen him back down. Also, having read over the parting shots I saw nothing misleading about what he said. There were rules about how you don't insult the mods, they were ignored, and finally most importantly of all, it ignores that a lot of the tyrannical accusations were made when wong wasn't around, leaving me to believe that evil soup and others did break the rules and were not unfairly booted. So why is Lord Wong so hated?
Quite apart from anything else, the man has terrible opinions on a host of things, a general disdainful attitude for anything that does not fall within the natural sciences, casually authoritarian beliefs, and has a host of fools who will follow him on anything he does. Philosophically, he is wedded to coercion as the fundamental of society, which is justification for all the horrors of the twentieth century if you follow through on it. Dude is absolutely a scientismist, in that he believes that morality is scientifically derived. Look at the Legault thread in Parting Shots to see an example of a time where he immediately leaps to the conclusion that someone disagreeing with him is lying and therefore must be banned. And consider that this is apparently more banworthy than being massively, overtly racist.

Also, stop acting like a cultist.

Losonti Tokash

#10 Post by Losonti Tokash »

Aaron wrote:Who cares, get on with your life.
you really should know that yan is someone who goes around the internet defending the salvation war from critics, even if their last post was months beforehand

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#11 Post by adr »

I'd like to introduce a concept I call "bourgeois morality". These are things presented as a universal moral rule, but in practice, tend to just be another weapon of class warfare. A very powerful one, in that it is hard to fight - as a universal moral rule, it is something people feel they ought to follow, even if it harms them. Moral living often involves sacrifices. Thus, when the revolutionary questions these, instead of being seen as somoene trying to fix society's problems, he can be seen as a selfish indivdual with no moral compass.

Take, for instance, property rights. It sounds like a universal moral idea to say you shouldn't take what doesn't belong to you. Leaving aside the fact that the bourgeoisie's entire existence is based on taking what doesn't belong to them, isn't there a clear practical bias in this rule to benefit the property owners? People who own no private property aren't going to benefit from private property rights! It doesn't help social mobility either; a right to property doesn't mean the lower classes can ever become property owners on their own.

Or, not talking about how much money you make. Is that really moral modesty? I say no: it serves an effect of covering up inequalities, thus letting the business owners exploit their workers even more by making some of them think the lower pay is normal.

And, of course, "don't question authority" aka "don't insult the mods", pretty clearly benefit the ruling class disproportionately...
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Shroom Man 777
The Mang, the Myth, the Legend.

#12 Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Losonti Tokash wrote:
you really should know that yan is someone who goes around the internet defending the salvation war from critics, even if their last post was months beforehand
yucks

Bakustra

#13 Post by Bakustra »

Losonti Tokash wrote:
Oh dear. Ohhh dear.

Losonti Tokash

#14 Post by Losonti Tokash »

i bookmarked this because it was so weird so here you go: http://thecancermancan.livejournal.com/4212.html
Last post on that blog, January 24th, 2010.

Post date, May 27th
Darth Yan wrote:dude, grow up. Seriously, your just doing this to get revenge for being banned (which was for a very legitimate reason i might add.)
There's a few more which are part of a single thread he writes to himself but my phone makes it a pain in the ass so you'll just have to go read it.

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#15 Post by RyanThunder »

Darth Yan wrote:The rape is meant to show the evil of the demons; it is hell after all. Kim's also a soldier, so she can handle it.
:frogout:

Djinnkitty83

#16 Post by Djinnkitty83 »

DarthYAM wrote:Quite a bit of mentions of him seem to be accusing him of being a tyrant. I read over many of his posts and never got that. There have been plenty of people who disagree who were never ever banned and I've seen him back down. Also, having read over the parting shots I saw nothing misleading about what he said. There were rules about how you don't insult the mods, they were ignored, and finally most importantly of all, it ignores that a lot of the tyrannical accusations were made when wong wasn't around, leaving me to believe that evil soup and others did break the rules and were not unfairly booted. So why is Lord Wong so hated?
Balls.

Bakustra

#17 Post by Bakustra »

Losonti Tokash wrote:i bookmarked this because it was so weird so here you go: http://thecancermancan.livejournal.com/4212.html

Post date, May 27th
Darth Yan wrote:dude, grow up. Seriously, your just doing this to get revenge for being banned (which was for a very legitimate reason i might add.)
There's a few more which are part of a single thread he writes to himself but my phone makes it a pain in the ass so you'll just have to go read it.
Look, mate; we've all moved on with our lives, because we are busy people. Quit spamming something that hasn't been touched for months, and get a life.
lolol

RogueIce
#YOLO

#18 Post by RogueIce »

Losonti Tokash wrote:i bookmarked this because it was so weird so here you go: http://thecancermancan.livejournal.com/4212.html

Post date, May 27th
Who was "thecancerman" that was so rightfully banned, anyway?

Also regarding the rape comment: :picard: + *smirk* * :frogout: = still not enough to convey my reaction.

Bakustra

#19 Post by Bakustra »

he probably wasn't banned or on the site ever

yannikins was just framing things in the context of his worldview

and holy goddamn

Shroom Man 777
The Mang, the Myth, the Legend.

#20 Post by Shroom Man 777 »

balls

Sandman

#21 Post by Sandman »

declared Lieutenant Mike Wong

RogueIce
#YOLO

#22 Post by RogueIce »

Sandman wrote:declared Lieutenant Lord Mike Wong
ftfy

evilsoup

#23 Post by evilsoup »

DEATH TO THE FALSE EMPEROR!

DarthYAM

#24 Post by DarthYAM »

Yeah, I'll admit the rape comment was pretty damn stupid and insensitive. I was so desperate to downplay any flaws in a work I liked I kind of tried to rationalize it. It was stupid, it was insensitive, and while it might be a little late, I am sorry for saying something that moronic. It was two years ago, I was younger, I was stupider, and I wasn't as aware. Hell I look back with things I did a year ago and see how dumb it was. For the record, I'm not really into salvation war anymore. There may be one or two good ideas, but the execution is pretty damn lousy.

Djinnkitty83

#25 Post by Djinnkitty83 »

Now quit addressing an arrogant, opinionated engineer who substitutes aggression for intellect as 'Lord' and you'll be downright presentable!