generic vidja gaems

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
joviwan

generic vidja gaems

#1 Post by joviwan »

I dunno, I thought maybe a general purpose video games thread would be nice, since most of the threads are sort of a handful of posts that fade away.

What games are people playing these days?

I've been playing the hell out of Doublands on PC. They've got a good handle on the crack-addict item-mining formula, the character powers all more or less useful/different while being 'inspired' by the previous game, and there's a surprisingly stronger emphasis on the writing, for better and worse. I'm enjoying it a lot.

If anyone is still paying attention to ME3, they released a patch that actually fixes a bunch of problems, and there is a massive free MP Overhaul DLC coming out like this week that'll add more personal scoring, achievements, new classes, a new faction, new units in old factions, and rotating level hazards.

TOR is going F2P shortly, judging from the desperate email they sent me to resub. I wont be resubbing, but once it's F2P I'll probably install it again.

evilsoup

Re: generic vidja gaems

#2 Post by evilsoup »

I finished my first playthrough of Alpha Protocol the other week :band:

joviwan

#3 Post by joviwan »

That game is pretty fly. It did a lot of things that I really enjoyed. Like how you can have the protagonist not be a total idiot, or how he knows things that you don't and you aren't penalized for not knowing them. Or how reading dossiers unlocked conversation options (that one friggen blew me away). It made it pretty easy to look past all the broke bits.

evilsoup

#4 Post by evilsoup »

Alpha Protocol conversations etc + more hitman-style gameplay=the perfect game

Losonti Tokash

#5 Post by Losonti Tokash »

status update: RE6 rules, ME3 Retaliation has volus classes and also rules, blands 2 is mechnically superior to the original but good lord the plot is so awful

xcom arrived today so that'll be neat

joviwan

#6 Post by joviwan »

I really enjoy basically all of the characters, all of the dialogue, and the sidequests are hilarious, but the actual story of Doublands is... well. Yeah. It's awful. They have a bunch of great things and then tie them together poorly. Still fun/ny as hell, though, and there are some (none-main-quest) stories that I find genuinely engaging.

...I did not realize that there are now Volus. I need to play a mouth breathing space potato, now.

Losonti Tokash

#7 Post by Losonti Tokash »

man there is a pile of them

in the character creation screen they have to stand on a box :3

joviwan

#8 Post by joviwan »

Eeeeeeeeeeeeee

RogueIce
#YOLO

#9 Post by RogueIce »

joviwan wrote:What games are people playing these days?
Star Wars Rebellion

For reals. Yeah I know the interface is from the darkest depths of 1992 for a game released in 1998, and the "tactical" space battles involves fewer tactics than your average game of tic-tac-toe, but there's just something about it that I still love. Maybe it's just the whole 200 planet galaxy scale. Tedious if you're playing to win and have to track down Luke fucking Skywalker, but since I'm the type that plays Civ games by building every improvement in every city...yeah, it works for me. And there is some decent strategy to be had.

So uh yeah. Nostalgic games FTW! I wonder if DF2: Jedi Knight would work on Win7...
joviwan wrote:TOR is going F2P shortly, judging from the desperate email they sent me to resub. I wont be resubbing, but once it's F2P I'll probably install it again.
That'd be cool, I could actually see what all the hype is about finally. Assuming they don't cripple the freeloader players, of course.

Oh and if they have a free client download. Yes I'm that cheap about MMOs.

Actually games in general, come to think of it. The newest game I own is probably HoI 3 (which so disillusioned me I haven't played in ages) and uh, newest game I bought was Civ4 Complete.

I'm a horrible gamer!!! :whine:

EDIT: Well okay technically World of Tanks is newest game I "own" but I didn't pay a penny for that. Should've said that HoI 3 is the most recently released game I actually bought.

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#10 Post by RyanThunder »

Skyrim is fun. Fighting and killing dragons and then struggling to overpower a fucking bat-person with a magic sword feels silly, however.

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#11 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

Losonti Tokash wrote:ME3 Retaliation has volus classes and also rules
Man it cracks me up that one of the Volus classes is Vanguard

I am a great wind indeed

Flagg

#12 Post by Flagg »

RogueIce wrote:
joviwan wrote:What games are people playing these days?
Star Wars Rebellion

For reals. Yeah I know the interface is from the darkest depths of 1992 for a game released in 1998, and the "tactical" space battles involves fewer tactics than your average game of tic-tac-toe, but there's just something about it that I still love. Maybe it's just the whole 200 planet galaxy scale. Tedious if you're playing to win and have to track down Luke fucking Skywalker, but since I'm the type that plays Civ games by building every improvement in every city...yeah, it works for me. And there is some decent strategy to be had.

So uh yeah. Nostalgic games FTW! I wonder if DF2: Jedi Knight would work on Win7...
joviwan wrote:TOR is going F2P shortly, judging from the desperate email they sent me to resub. I wont be resubbing, but once it's F2P I'll probably install it again.
That'd be cool, I could actually see what all the hype is about finally. Assuming they don't cripple the freeloader players, of course.

Oh and if they have a free client download. Yes I'm that cheap about MMOs.

Actually games in general, come to think of it. The newest game I own is probably HoI 3 (which so disillusioned me I haven't played in ages) and uh, newest game I bought was Civ4 Complete.

I'm a horrible gamer!!! :whine:

EDIT: Well okay technically World of Tanks is newest game I "own" but I didn't pay a penny for that. Should've said that HoI 3 is the most recently released game I actually bought.
ToR will have all of the singleplayer stuff as FTP, so basically all of the game worth playing is FTP. Now, wether you'll be able to use the AH... If I were Bioware I'd charge for it.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#13 Post by Bakustra »

evilsoup wrote:I finished my first playthrough of Alpha Protocol the other week :band:
What builds and what order?

Zod
perkele

#14 Post by Zod »

RyanThunder wrote:Skyrim is fun.
:picard:

enjoy your cabbage farming simulator

evilsoup

#15 Post by evilsoup »

I was a spy, and mostly focused on pistols and sneaking

most of Rome --> Taipei --> the rest of Rome --> Moscow

I also erred on the side of letting people live (except at the end, fuck those guys, they killed whatserface!). Next time I think I'll play as an arrogant dickhead recruit & kill everyone

also, I have a theory that Scarlet is some kind of spy; if she wasn't, the intel I was passing her really should have fucked Halbech for a decade.

Bakustra

#16 Post by Bakustra »

evilsoup wrote:I was a spy, and mostly focused on pistols and sneaking

most of Rome --> Taipei --> the rest of Rome --> Moscow

I also erred on the side of letting people live (except at the end, fuck those guys, they killed whatserface!). Next time I think I'll play as an arrogant dickhead recruit & kill everyone

also, I have a theory that Scarlet is some kind of spy; if she wasn't, the intel I was passing her really should have fucked Halbech for a decade.
Hah. I went Rome-Moscow and am just starting Taipei on my current playthrough. I went Soldier-Operative with Assault Rifles, Stealth, and Martial Arts, which made Brayko lots and lots of fun. And next time, try going all Suave in Rome and something fun will happen. ;)

Bakustra

#17 Post by Bakustra »

Oh yeah, currently I'm faffing about with Kerbal Space Program, having just managed to make spaceplanes that can take off, but can't land. It's a start.

evilsoup

#18 Post by evilsoup »

oh I was suave
well I tried to be
are you talking about
banging whatserface (madeline? The one that fuck Marburg kills)

Bakustra

#19 Post by Bakustra »

evilsoup wrote:oh I was suave
well I tried to be
are you talking about
banging whatserface (madeline? The one that fuck Marburg kills)
smug off to marburg at the cafe, in his villa, and at the museum with a history of picking suave responses and he'll go berserk and you can kill him right then and there. or you can search carefully in rome to complete madison's dossier and use the information contained in there to have parker and marburg kill each other for you. but being an aggressive dickhead is great for getting SIE on your side and having her bang you.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#20 Post by RogueIce »

evilsoup wrote:Next time I think I'll play as an arrogant dickhead recruit & kill everyone
So basically you'd be playing like a character from NCIS: Los Angeles and/or the new Hawaii Five-0 :smugdog:

evilsoup

#21 Post by evilsoup »

dang
I wish I hadn't read that
not being able to kill marburg in my playthrough was really frustrating though
slamming the Halbech CEO's head on the table was really satisfying
RogueIce wrote:
evilsoup wrote:Next time I think I'll play as an arrogant dickhead recruit & kill everyone
So basically you'd be playing like a character from NCIS: Los Angeles and/or the new Hawaii Five-0 :smugdog:
pretty much

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#22 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

I really feel that Taipei is the best starting point for Alpha Protocol.

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#23 Post by RyanThunder »

Zod wrote:
RyanThunder wrote:Skyrim is fun.
:picard:

enjoy your cabbage farming simulator
You can farm cabbages? I mean, that's great and all but it doesn't seem terribly exciting. :/

Losonti Tokash

#24 Post by Losonti Tokash »

F.J. Prefect, Esq wrote:I really feel that Taipei is the best starting point for Alpha Protocol.
i agree, for two reasons

1) your flight out of saudi arabia is where you meet scarlet, which to me says you're headed to taiwan anyway
2) omen deng's cape is hella cool

Gands

#25 Post by Gands »

I got bogged down in AP after I had to fight some PCPd up Russian dude and he cleaned my clock.