HPCA does the election!

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
evilsoup

Re: HPCA does the election!

#126 Post by evilsoup »

Well I guess so. But surely the affair becoming public knowledge would solve that issue.
If he was telling her secrets, that's actually a serious problem, so

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#127 Post by Bakustra »

HPCA on voting rights:
edgeplay_cgo wrote:We used to do that. Many states had literacy tests for voting. It was abused to disenfranchise Blacks. I think it was a good idea, but ideology trumped practicality. This is why we can't have nice things.
Rob Herrick wrote:Why should people be allowed to purchase things and not pay for them?

That's what voting is, and that's expressly half the strategy of the Democratic Party: getting people to vote for people who will give them something free, and make their political opponents pay for it. Voting for moocherism, more than anything else, is destroying this country, because the people making the decisions are insulated from the costs of said decision.

The solution is obvious: universal taxation. Everybody pays something, so everybody has skin in the game. Ideally, everybody has the same tax burden, so they have the same skin in the game, no matter how much they make.
Rob Herrick wrote:So what? What makes your needs any more important than anybody elses? Why should you get to reap the benefits of subsidy, hiding the costs from you, and pushing them on somebody else? Should we make all your other expenses charge you less, just cause you don't make as much? Why are you - or anybody else - allowed to hide from the costs of the government you vote for?

You're essentially saying that our government should treat you special, providing the exact same level of service - or more service - at less cost to you. That fundamentally destroys any price signal - just like any other subsidy. You make choices based on flawed information about what the choice costs you. So of course you're gonna vote for more stuff and somebody else to pay for it - it doesn't cost you anything. That's why you need as much skin in the game as anybody else - the more your government does, the more your taxes go up and the less money in your pocket. Then you get a feel for the true cost to you, and you can accurately decide if it's worth it to you.

The actual rate doesn't matter. What matters is that we have people who don't have to cut a check - be it because their rate is too low, or they withheld more than they owe or they get unearned tax "credits" and the like. That's the problem - the true cost of government is hidden from ~80% of the citizenry, who pay less in taxes than they contribute to the income stream. We make economic decisions based on price signals, and the tax code subsidizes people so they pay less, sometimes MUCH less, than their share of what's needed to pay for what they want. So they think they can afford more and buy more. Even folks who're not moochers by nature are being turned into stealth moochers, because they're not getting all the information.

That's the problem.
i want to punch all the comfort out of rob herrick's life and watch him get into fistfights for shoving at the soup kitchen lines

i want to puree copies of let us now praise famous men and how the other half lives and make them into a big milkshake, and i want to pour that milkshake down his throat

i want to impart some understanding about the conditions of poverty onto him, ya dig?
Keller wrote:That said, restrictions that can be applied to everyone equally are possible. Things such as:
Raise the voting age to 30. With most people going through the protective environments of college, it takes until about 30 (at least) to have real enough life experience to maybe make a thoughtful choice. Maybe index it to the average national college graduation age + 5 years.

In jail, no vote during and for 5 years after release/end of probation.

Make anyone that receives a government (federal, state or local) check for other than goods and services rendered ineligible to vote during that time and plus one voting period afterwards. I would exempt social security payments for those at retirement age. Sorry, living on the dole or subsidy costs you your right to have a say in how that dole comes about. Want to vote, don't take the check.
vote or eat

>:3

#128 Post by >:3 »

Anything interesting from them about possible Puerto Rican statehood?
>:3

Agent Bert Macklin

#129 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

I don't think everyone should be allowed to vote. Then again I'm not a fan of democracy. Look at it this way. The educated's votes are considered equal to those who aren't. Does that seem right to you? Does it seem right that the moron in Alabama's vote carries the same weight as the guy from Harvard?

Zod
perkele

#130 Post by Zod »

It just means democracy's working the way it's supposed to. You can change it up all you want but then it won't be a democracy anymore.
Last edited by Zod on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Agent Bert Macklin

#131 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

I think a misdemeanor should disqualify you from voting. Voting is not a right. It is a privilege. there should be tests to show that you know basics of government, how to balance a budget, can do basic math, etc.

Agent Bert Macklin

#132 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Zod wrote:It just means democracy's working the way it's supposed to. You can change it up all you want but then it won't be a democracy anymore.
Democracy is bullshit. You all know it. Some matters shouldn't be left to the population to decide on.

Zod
perkele

#133 Post by Zod »

Negative Knub wrote:
Zod wrote:It just means democracy's working the way it's supposed to. You can change it up all you want but then it won't be a democracy anymore.
Democracy is bullshit. You all know it. Some matters shouldn't be left to the population to decide on.
The funny thing is I didn't say it was a good thing.

Agent Bert Macklin

#134 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

I think America should at least have one dictatorship in its lifetime. Let's see how it plays out.

Zod
perkele

#135 Post by Zod »

We already had the Bush administration. Also, Japanese internment camps in WW2.

Agent Bert Macklin

#136 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Zod wrote:We already had the Bush administration. Also, Japanese internment camps in WW2.
Well, we can have labor camps for the useless. Just make sure they're well run.

Oxymoron

#137 Post by Oxymoron »

I...
Knub...

Just...

Do you seriously believe that, or are you just in a bad mood ?
No.

Agent Bert Macklin

#138 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Oxymoron wrote:I...
Knub...

Just...

It's logical. Votes weighing the same is nonsensical.

The labor camp idea is fantastic. Give those who disagree with my worldview a living wage and perhaps comfortable quarters. Make them do all of the infrastructure that this country desperately needs. Take their voting privileges away too. The likelihood of them being morons is high because they disagree with me.

evilsoup

#139 Post by evilsoup »

democracy is the worst system of government, except for all the others
(I don't agree with Churchill on much, but he's really quotable)

evilsoup

#140 Post by evilsoup »

Oxymoron wrote:I...
Knub...

Just...

How long are they working you?

Oxymoron

#141 Post by Oxymoron »

Negative Knub wrote:The likelihood of them being morons is high because they disagree with me.
*smirk*
No.

Oxymoron

#142 Post by Oxymoron »

evilsoup wrote:How long are they working you?
I do not understand the question being asked.
No.

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#143 Post by Bakustra »

>:3 wrote:Anything interesting from them about possible Puerto Rican statehood?
This is about it:
Jeremy wrote:I hope we don't have to start printing everything in Spanish and English for it to be official now.
Negative Knub wrote:I don't think everyone should be allowed to vote. Then again I'm not a fan of democracy. Look at it this way. The educated's votes are considered equal to those who aren't. Does that seem right to you? Does it seem right that the moron in Alabama's vote carries the same weight as the guy from Harvard?
yes

it does

any more questions?

Agent Bert Macklin

#144 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

You know that scene from The Dark Knight Rises where Bane and his minions catch infiltrators and hang them? Let's do that
/HPCA for all of the posts above including this one.

Oxymoron

#145 Post by Oxymoron »

Printing everything in English and Spanish ? Meh. Try changing the flags everywhere in the worlds to add just one more star to it.

Haven't seen TDKR yet, Knub.

I just wasn't sure if you were genuine, or parodying the political elitism that is casually displayed on SDN or HPCA. I'm still not certain about that, but that may be more because I'm kinda dense rather than anything else.
No.

Agent Bert Macklin

#146 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

I think our democratic system is flawed, but I wouldn't advocate what I attempted to parody.

Dooey Jo

#147 Post by Dooey Jo »

we should institute a proportional voting system, so that the more money you make the more votes you have, because after all money is a measure of competence

also corporations should also be able to vote

and maybe some women. IF the king has declared them fit to make their own legal decisions

i miss the 19th century :america:
DracuLax - when even Death can't scare the shit out of you

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#148 Post by adr »

evilsoup wrote:democracy is the worst system of government, except for all the others
Logically, we should be considering the idea of having no government!
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#149 Post by adr »

evilsoup wrote:If he was telling her secrets, that's actually a serious problem, so
i've been looking for confirmation and i might have been wrong about this. i just saw it somewhere and believed it
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Oxymoron

#150 Post by Oxymoron »

adr wrote:Logically, we should be considering the idea of having no government!
Idea considered.

Idea rejected.
No.