The murder of Benazir Bhutto

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
thejester

The murder of Benazir Bhutto

#1 Post by thejester »

Pretty good essay in the LRB about the murder of Benazir Bhutto and subsequent (non-)investigation. Has some insights into the fractured nature of the Pakistani state and the relationships between state organs and fundamentalists.

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

Re: The murder of Benazir Bhutto

#2 Post by Darksi4190 »

You know with how many elements of Pakistan's society and government are actively aiding and abetting our enemies, I don't know why we're still "allies" with them. I mean wasn't it all but confirmed that Bin Laden's compound was an ISI safe-house?

We should re-negotiate the terms of any future aid to Pakistan to include them actually doing something about the Taliban remnants hiding in their country.

Flagg

#3 Post by Flagg »

Darksi4190 wrote:You know with how many elements of Pakistan's society and government are actively aiding and abetting our enemies, I don't know why we're still "allies" with them. I mean wasn't it all but confirmed that Bin Laden's compound was an ISI safe-house?

We should re-negotiate the terms of any future aid to Pakistan to include them actually doing something about the Taliban remnants hiding in their country.
We're nominal allies for 2 reasons. They have nukes, and their border with Afghanistan is loaded with Taliban and Al Quaeda and they occasionally help us kill them. Once we're out of Afghanistan I doubt we'll have much to do with them beyond trying to ensure their stability so the nukes don't fall into terrorist hands.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Aaron
El Duderino

#4 Post by Aaron »

India is a better choice as an ally anyways. Larger, more professional military, nukes, larger population and industrial capacity, its a democracy and at least isn't at war with itself.

artemas

#5 Post by artemas »

Pretty good description of the wheels within wheels that makes up Pakistani politics. Of course, it doesnt mention that Bhutto herself was instrumental in sanctioning Pakistani-backed jihad in Afghanistan and India in the late 80s and early-mid 90s. She was prime minister when the ISI began to really swing behind the Taliban, and the shift of LeT and others from Afghanistan to India.