Share your favorite Star Wars memories

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
RogueIce
#YOLO

Re: Share your favorite Star Wars memories

#651 Post by RogueIce »

On another subject...

Thus far, the Opening Crawl has only been used for the OT and PT. The Clone Wars movie used their series standard of the newsreel footage and narration, which is not surprising since it was intended to be a three episode arc before George Lucas decided to make it theatrical. Still, as the only real theatrical Star Wars movie that matters outside of the Trilogies, it's at least a precedent.

So what do you think? Should it be reserved for the Episodes themselves? Or should it be included as a kind of Star Wars hallmark?

For me, I think I'd prefer they reserve it for the PT/OT/ST, to keep them special and distinct, as the "main features" of the Star Wars Saga. But I'm interested in hearing other opinions.

thejester

#652 Post by thejester »

I'd use them for all the movies.

Ralin

#653 Post by Ralin »

EU novels really benefit from narration and sound effects. I'm finishing the audio book of Aaron Allston's last Wraith Squadron novel now.

Also Stofsk was right. Zahn really did nail the voices of the various movie characters in the dialogue, though I still say he didn't really get the action and occasional slapstick aspects of Star Wars.

thejester

#654 Post by thejester »

Stofsk wrote:
thejester wrote:[excitement intensifies]
You were a) a bit more sceptical last time and b) are much more learned in these things mate. What's changing your mind?

Stofsk

#655 Post by Stofsk »

'Chewie... we're home.'

JJ knows how to sell the sizzle, not sure about the steak but that remains to be seen, but I'll give it a chance to break my heart. :v

joviwan

#656 Post by joviwan »

The trailer was super effective for me, mostly just for the opening pan. I don't know precisely how to describe it, but doing a slow and dawning reveal of the crashed SSD really hit me in the 'yes, THIS is mythological space fantasy' zone, which is what star wars always represented to me.

Also, the trailer made for some terrific wallpapers.

http://i.imgur.com/NbIxSor.png

Ralin

#657 Post by Ralin »

RogueIce wrote:
But if they contradict anything else - and yes that includes my beloved TCW - then it should be the latter that gets a retcon, not trying to have the OT and PT "fit the new canon" because that should be the other way around and the implication that the 'new EU' would ever matter more than anything with Episodes I - IX in the title is asinine.
Why? I care a whole lot more about the (old) EU than I do about the first two trilogies, and a lot of the novels are straight up better.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#658 Post by RogueIce »

Because George Lucas, that's why. :colbert:

Which I know only applies to PT/OT but that's what they talked about. And in any event, it always should have been the EU conforming to the movies, not the other way around.

Plus most of the EU is crap and I doubt they'll do any better with the new EU. :v

Ralin

#659 Post by Ralin »

Ahaha, I hadn't remembered the Thrawn duology referencing Darksaber.

Crazedwraith

#660 Post by Crazedwraith »

Hand Of Thrawn took potshots a lots of other EU. Dark Empire's cloned emperor, the useless Qella thing Lando chased from Black Fleet Crisis.
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#661 Post by Darksi4190 »

You know now that I think about it, the XBOX 360/PS3 console generation didn't really have a great Star Wars game did it? Every other generation I can think of had one. SNES had Super Star Wars, N64 had Rogue Squadron, XBOX/PS2 had Kotor, Battlefront, etc. But not this generation.

Come to think of it there weren't really many Star Wars games made during the 2006-2015 period. Just Empire at War in '06, which is pretty cool, especially if you mod it, and then TFU.

I wonder if that was a consequence of the movies being over and the franchise getting set to wind itself down.

joviwan

#662 Post by joviwan »

There was also a huge pile of Lego Star Wars (nearly all of them, actually), The Old Republic mmo, and Kinect Star Wars. As well as numerous portable titles.

Kryten

#663 Post by Kryten »

More likely due to the issues with Lucasarts. They were spending most of that time working on forgettable tie-ins, 1313 (ultimately cancelled) and non-SW projects like the monkey island remake.

thejester

#664 Post by thejester »

Darksi4190 wrote:You know now that I think about it, the XBOX 360/PS3 console generation didn't really have a great Star Wars game did it? Every other generation I can think of had one. SNES had Super Star Wars, N64 had Rogue Squadron, XBOX/PS2 had Kotor, Battlefront, etc. But not this generation.

Come to think of it there weren't really many Star Wars games made during the 2006-2015 period. Just Empire at War in '06, which is pretty cool, especially if you mod it, and then TFU.

I wonder if that was a consequence of the movies being over and the franchise getting set to wind itself down.
there was that article floating around on kinja about LucasArts and how meddling from people higher up (including Lucas himself) constantly sabotaged progress on what otherwise looked like pretty good games

Kryten

#665 Post by Kryten »

The original Battlefront 3 being the classic example of that: cancelled at 80%+ progress because Lucasarts didn't want to commit to the marketing budget. Sent the studio developing it into administration.

Darksi4190

#666 Post by Darksi4190 »

On a lighter note, Steam is offering 77% off all X-wing series games until May 4th. Does anybody know if they got multi working for them?

Darksi4190

#667 Post by Darksi4190 »

I'm watching the "Bad Batch" TCW story reels and Oh my god Rex is a fucking idiot.

"This guy who just died uses my heavily encrypted mathematical algorithm for devising strategies as a coping device just died. Should I let anyone know that crucial military information might have been compromised? Nah, i'm sure it'll be fine!"

RogueIce
#YOLO

#668 Post by RogueIce »

RogueIce
#YOLO

#669 Post by RogueIce »

I am getting so fucking sick of KOTOR fanboys wanking hard over Revan that I hope they never include him (her?). In fact I hope they retcon the utter living shit out of the entire TOR era that it is impossible for even the tiniest aspect of those games to have ever happened.

evilsoup

#670 Post by evilsoup »

probably neither ftl nor the force, so I don't think there's any chance of those stories being real

RogueIce
#YOLO

#671 Post by RogueIce »

What in the who now?

evilsoup

#672 Post by evilsoup »

nothing in the kotor games happened. They're works of fiction.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#673 Post by RogueIce »

evilsoup wrote:nothing in the kotor games happened. They're works of fiction.
Well yeah. But I was confused by the whole "neither ftl nor the force" thing. I thought it was a reference of some sort.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#674 Post by RogueIce »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=frdj1zb9sMY

But you gotta understand that there ain't no gettin' offa this (hype) train we're on, till we get to the end of the line.

joviwan

#675 Post by joviwan »

I am so pumped for this movie