Share your favorite Star Wars memories

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

Re: Share your favorite Star Wars memories

#576 Post by Darksi4190 »

*Watching new episode of Rebels*

They are not seriously going to go toe to toe with the fucking empire over a piece of fruit. This show could not possibly be that fucking childish......

Oh fuck you Disney, Fuck you for completing SW's backslide into childish bullshit.

Darksi4190

#577 Post by Darksi4190 »

So Rebels is shaping up to be the dumbest fucking show i've ever seen. If the new story group or whatever doesn't get its shit together soon, i'm done with SW.

evilsoup

#578 Post by evilsoup »

that sounds fucking awesome, I might actually watch this show

Crazedwraith

#579 Post by Crazedwraith »

Ralin wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:It's near the start of the first X-Wing book by Micheal Stackpole: "Rogue Squadron"

And yeah. it's Wedge. He's talking with his new verpine mechanic. I gave my copy to charity years ago otherwise I'd be more exact.
It's in the 4th X-Wing book, The Bacta War, when they're repainting the squadron's X-Wings since they've gone independent.

The chief mechanic (who I'm fairly sure had been with them for awhile?) says something along the lines of, "Sir, we've run out of room on the X-Wing to paint all of your TIE Fighter kills. Do you want us to group them by squadron or by flight wing?"

And Wedge is all like, "Eh, whatever."

Man has half a Death Star on his cockpit. He is very secure about the size of his junk.
Nope. It's definitely in Rogue Squadron.

Bacta War just describes the unique paint jobs they got for their X-Wings now they're independent. Wedge using the colours his Family would have used if they'd got to start they're own refueling company and were, well dead. Tycho uses Alderaanian Guard colours. And Ooryl has something that looks plain white unless you can see in the ultraviolet.
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

Ralin

#580 Post by Ralin »

Huh, you're right. Weird, because I know I read book four more times than I did the first one.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#581 Post by RogueIce »

Darksi4190 wrote:If the new story group or whatever doesn't get its shit together soon, i'm done with SW.
The LSG approved Sheev Palpatine, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Darksi4190

#582 Post by Darksi4190 »

Lo and behold. An episode of Rebels that was actually awesome. The inquisitor proved himself a dangerous adversary, leaving the Ghost crew no choice but to run.

Also, they continue to slip old parts of the EU back into canon. This time? An Imperial news broadcast announces "another successful planetary liberation utilizing the Base Delta Zero initiative."

Anyone who's been on SDN should know what actually happened to the "liberated" planet.

joviwan

#583 Post by joviwan »

I really do not understand the "problem" with Sheev.

It's a first name. People have those. It is not any more or less weird than Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, or Shmi. It changes nothing about the character's gravitas or dramatic impact.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#584 Post by RogueIce »

It was a detail that never needed to be made up but the new EU canon felt the need to do so anyway. Just like the old EU was (in)famous for. And like the old EU, it's stupid to boot, though admittedly it being stupid is less annoying than "it was never necessary" to me.

Essentially: "Meet the New EU, same as the Old EU."

joviwan

#585 Post by joviwan »

Pointless I guess I can kind of understand.

"Stupid" is an undeserved and meaningless qualifier in a universe where the only fat rebel pilot was named Porkins, the bounty hunter who got shot because he was too greedy was named Greedo, and the sleaze bag drug dealer on Coruscant was named Sleazebaggano.

thejester

#586 Post by thejester »

I used to live with this guy called shiv. Weird, weird unit. Wanted to be a gynaecologist for a while and then changed his mind. When we asked why he said it was because of the smell

Ralin

#587 Post by Ralin »

I think you're missing the point. This is the Emperor we're talking about. He's the ultimate villain of the story. We're supposed to take him seriously and consider him menacing and scary and shit. There's plenty of room for silly names in Star Wars because holy crap this is not a serious and mature setting, but this is one of the few parts where that's a bad idea.

joviwan

#588 Post by joviwan »

Why is it a bad idea? What part of 'sheev' mystically detracts from his menace and scaryness?

It's just a name that a person would have. It's not silly, it's not weird, it's not anything. It's this guy's name. It changes nothing about who he is or how he does things or why he does things.

People are acting like 'Sheev' is equivelent to Bozo the Clown. If his name was Bozo The CLown Palpatine, yeah I'd kind of understand what the fuss was about, but it's just Sheev. It's a name.

Ralin

#589 Post by Ralin »

I guess it's subjective, just doesn't seem fitting to me and apparently a lot of other people.

Ralin

#590 Post by Ralin »

Thinking about it a little more, it's not even that the name is especially dumb so much as underwhelming and random. It just seems like if they were going to bother doing it they would come up with something that sounded aristocratic and dignified or otherwise fitting.

Stofsk

#591 Post by Stofsk »

It just sounds stupid. I don't have any issue besides that. Like if I was going to name my child I would give it another go if that's the one I immediately thought of.

This IS a setting where the big bad evil guy is called Darth Sidious.

Fuck the prequels.

joviwan

#592 Post by joviwan »

See, that's just... that's the thing. Sheev is not any more or less ridiculous or stupid sounding than Darth Vader.

I think people have become innured to just how dumb star wars names actually are, by virtue of being a foundational part pop culture for 40 years.

Stofsk

#593 Post by Stofsk »

I think you're overcomplicating a rather simple problem, that the sound of a word and the appreciation of that sound is largely subjective. EDIT But I also agree that many names in SW are stupid sounding.

joviwan

#594 Post by joviwan »

Well, I might be. It wouldn't be the first time, and I'm open to that.

From my perspective it's other people who are complicating the problem (because i am perfect, and beautiful). I have a hard time grasping that people think Sheev ruins or detracts from the character, I guess, and it seems like they're investing way too much energy into being upset about it.

Sorry if I'm offending anybody, I don't mean to be.

Count Chocula
Liberal

#595 Post by Count Chocula »

Favorite memory: 9 years old, after seeing Star Wars on the big screen, discovering that the SW Opening Theme was on the community center's jukebox, and even better, it was THE DISCO VERSION!1!1!1!

My friends and I must have spent hours running around in circles in the gym with our hands out like we're fucking X-Wings on the trench run.
"We've already had this discussion before. I treated you of barbaric caveman then." - Oxymoron

"He killed 80 people in 2 days"
"...he's adopted." - The Avengers

Darksi4190

#596 Post by Darksi4190 »

So the latest Episode VIII rumor is that it will be titled "The Force Awakens," and that Luke Skywalker will be crazy.

Hopes are officially diminishing.

Kryten

#597 Post by Kryten »

Darksi4190 wrote:So the latest Episode VIII rumor is that it will be titled "The Force Awakens," and that Luke Skywalker will be crazy.

Hopes are officially diminishing.
The title at least is official, though I'm not sure it really means anything on it's own.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#598 Post by RogueIce »

I'd take any supposed plot details with a grain of salt, really. Unless it comes from Disney or Lucasfilm, of course.

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#599 Post by adr »

I'd take french fries with a grain of salt. Salty fries are pretty tasty.

:spam: :trollface: :spam:
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Stofsk

#600 Post by Stofsk »

I don't know what they can do with Luke's character but the options are limited. He'll either pass the torch on to the next generation and pull an Obi-wan, or he'll become the bad guy and will need to be redeemed. Any other alternative risks cheapening the plot tension because at that age Luke should be like a level 100 Jedi Master who could carve up any wannabe Sith or who-knows-what they're going for with the Big Bad.

So either he becomes the Big Bad or he gets taken out by the Big Bad to let us know that Shit Just Got Real.