Jester reacts to...

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
xon

Re: Jester reacts to...

#26 Post by xon »

"taking over" probably has the wrong tense.

Stofsk

#27 Post by Stofsk »

weemadando wrote:Double dissolution is dissolving both houses of Parliament, House of Representatives and the Senate. It's pretty much the biggest move on the block, but can be utterly destructive to the party who calls it if the public isn't convinced it was worthwhile.
Also there has to be a trigger, which in the specific case Rudd faced in late '09 would be the ETS legislation which the coalition blocked in the Senate (IIRC). Rudd talked about action on climate change being 'the greatest moral challenge of our time', and when he failed to get the ETS passed he... shrugged his shoulders and went w/e. Since 2010 was already an election year I doubt the public would have reacted angrily to a double dissolution being called in early 2010. More to the point, they likely wouldn't have lost the seats they did in that hypothetical election than the one that historically took place. I mean that's just my personal opinion of it, we'll never know for sure.

Jester, I meant that Rudd could have made an argument if he had challenged Gillard last Thursday. I'm not saying being lead by polling data is a good thing or desireable. Instead he fronted the media 10 mins before caucus convened and disingenuously claimed he would abide by a promise he made last year that he would not challenge for the leadership. His insincerity was amazing in that press conference. Also I agree with you wrt the way the media has operated in this fiasco and the lead up to it. Some of the first questions that were asked immediately after the caucus ended were still leadership related.

timmy

#28 Post by timmy »

Last week in the lead up Nath and I were making jokes about our nasally, ranga, Member for Lalor standing on the steps of parliament house intoning "Well may we say 'God save the Queen', because nothing will save the Governor-General!"
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

timmy

#29 Post by timmy »

THIS WEEK JESTER REACTS TO

Easter. How'd it work out for you.

-thejester

thejester

#30 Post by thejester »

HAWTHORN DELENDA EST

timmy

#31 Post by timmy »

Haha I knew I wouldn't have to ask

-thejester

thejester

#32 Post by thejester »

seriously tho

watching lance franklin suffer crushing disappointment is turning out to be one of life's unexpected pleasures

timmy

#33 Post by timmy »

Kennett's said his bit from beyond the grave, so today should be interesting

-thejester