Iain (M) Banks Has Terminal Cancer...

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Big Orangutan
Hipster

Iain (M) Banks Has Terminal Cancer...

#1 Post by Big Orangutan »

This has hit me harder than Terry Pratchett developing Alzheimer's and sullied the rest of the year for me; cult Scottish fiction writer Iain Banks has recently been diagnosed with gallbladder cancer and has a very grim prognosis of possibly dying within twelve months at the comparatively premature age of 59. Here is his heart hurting statement from his freshly open tribute website that has been flooded with many condolences already:
I am officially Very Poorly.
After a couple of surgical procedures, I am gradually recovering from jaundice caused by a blocked bile duct, but that – it turns out – is the least of my problems.

I first thought something might be wrong when I developed a sore back in late January, but put this down to the fact I’d started writing at the beginning of the month and so was crouched over a keyboard all day. When it hadn’t gone away by mid February, I went to my GP, who spotted that I had jaundice. Blood tests, an ultrasound scan and then a CT scan revealed the full extent of the grisly truth by the start of March.

I have cancer. It started in my gall bladder, has infected both lobes of my liver and probably also my pancreas and some lymph nodes, plus one tumour is massed around a group of major blood vessels in the same volume, effectively ruling out any chance of surgery to remove the tumours either in the short or long term.

The bottom line, now, I’m afraid, is that as a late stage gall bladder cancer patient, I’m expected to live for ‘several months’ and it’s extremely unlikely I’ll live beyond a year. So it looks like my latest novel, The Quarry, will be my last.

As a result, I’ve withdrawn from all planned public engagements and I’ve asked my partner Adele if she will do me the honour of becoming my widow (sorry – but we find ghoulish humour helps). By the time this goes out we’ll be married and on a short honeymoon. We intend to spend however much quality time I have left seeing family. and relations and visiting places that have meant a lot to us. Meanwhile my heroic publishers are doing all they can to bring the publication date of my new novel forward by as much as four months, to give me a better chance of being around when it hits the shelves.

There is a possibility that it might be worth undergoing a course of chemotherapy to extend the amount of time available. However that is still something we’re balancing the pros and cons of, and is anyway out of the question until my jaundice has further, and significantly, reduced.

Lastly, I’d like to add that from my GP onwards, the professionalism of the medics involved – and the speed with which the resources of the NHS in Scotland have been deployed – has been exemplary, and the standard of care deeply impressive. We’re all just sorry the outcome hasn’t been more cheerful.

This website was set up so family and fans can leave messages for me and check on my progress.

Iain Banks
Banksophillia: Friends of Iain Banks

Too bad there's no such thing as Culture medi-tech and it would seem that Mr. Banks has way too soon been condemned to walk down the crow road....
*Insert Pretentious Quote Here*

Big Orangutan
Hipster

Re: Iain (M) Banks Has Terminal Cancer...

#2 Post by Big Orangutan »

It's been confirmed: Iain Banks has passed away today. He was just 59. A tremendous creative talent has been sadly lost much too soon. :(

Oxymoron

#3 Post by Oxymoron »

Well, shit.

Not like I had read any of his books, but that's still kinda sad to hear.
No.

Big Orangutan
Hipster

#4 Post by Big Orangutan »

What's unavoidably sad is that he was still banging out solid sci-fi novels in recent years (Matter, Surface Detail and The Hydrogen Sonata), he was still quite young really, and a lot of creative potential was unfairly robbed by his cunting cancer. I'm particularly rattled by his death on a personal level since I met him in person at a book signing only last October. :(

Sandman

#5 Post by Sandman »

Iain M. Banks was one of my favourite writers, and easily my favourite writer in the science fiction genre. I am greatly saddened by this.

evilsoup

#6 Post by evilsoup »

His sci-fi had a refreshingly different approach to most of the dross out there. RIP.

Big Orangutan
Hipster

#7 Post by Big Orangutan »

Great novelists have a habit of dying comparatively young from their 30s to early 70s (Ian Fleming, HP Lovecraft, Isaac Asimov, Robert E. Howard, and Michael Crichton most notably - most recently Iain (M) Banks - and Terry Pratchett now well on his way out way before 80, etc etc etc).

Stofsk

#8 Post by Stofsk »

I wouldn't call Ian Fleming or Michael Chrichton great novelists.

Big Orangutan
Hipster

#9 Post by Big Orangutan »

Fleming's books are quite... Edwardian (ie racist and sexist by today's standards), but he must've done something broadly right to spawn a multi-billion movie series that's soldiered on for half a century. I also found that the original novel of Jurassic Park was superior to the also highly successful movie adaptation. And I also nearly forgot Douglas Adams (his heart gave out at just 49).

Oxymoron

#10 Post by Oxymoron »

If you're judging the quality of the literature by the revenues generated,

E. L. James would be a writing god.
No.

Flagg

#11 Post by Flagg »

Michael Crichton was a slanderer and an anti science hack whose death came far too late.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Big Orangutan
Hipster

#12 Post by Big Orangutan »

Oxymoron wrote:If you're judging the quality of the literature by the revenues generated,

E. L. James would be a writing god.
Yes, but E.L. James have the same impact on global popular culture as Fleming or even Crichton, no matter what you could say about them?

Oxymoron

#13 Post by Oxymoron »

Depends on how long people will remember them or their books, or how lasting an influence they will have on other authors' works.
No.

Big Orangutan
Hipster

#14 Post by Big Orangutan »

The same could be said of Banks, who's volume of work is still well under half a century old.