I'mma let you finish

Testing Chat IV: A New Hope

#1 Post by Phantasee »

continue
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

Oxymoron

Re: Testing Chat IV: A New Hope

#2 Post by Oxymoron »

Simon_Jester ain't bad from what few I interacted with him. At least he seems to have some idea of what his ideas are, not like others who just react to what push their buttons.
No.

Jung

#3 Post by Jung »

Big Orangutan wrote:Dayton3 was the most magnificent example of the SB nutters.
The one that takes the prize in my mind is Kinnison. He will not shut up about his hate for Islam and barely seems to talk about anything else. At least (as memory serves) Dayton3 would talk about stuff besides one pet issue.
Straha wrote:Formless may be the closest you can get to the platonic version of an idiot
The thing that always struck me about him is when I'd see one of his posts I'd want to disagree with him because even if I agreed with what he was actually saying he was such a smug dick about it.
Last edited by Jung on Fri May 03, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Straha
Lecturer

#4 Post by Straha »

Simon I might disagree with, but I can have an intelligent conversation warranted conversation with him and he's civil and understanding. As far as I'm concerned he's probably one of the best posters over there, and I look forward to threads with him in it.

Purple is gone. Broomstick I have filed into my "always ignore" category (if only I could set TEO to ignore her posts like I do to chockles here), but Rogue and Formless have just enough knowledge to stoke their ego to the point where they destroy conversations. I saw that he responded to my post in the "how old is life" thread and knew that he had shat it up, and I was not disappointed.
"Is it not part of being erotically experienced, however, to know that the desire to enter the other can lead one to the wrong entrance?" - Peter Sloterdijk

"Ethics is endless, the law is terminal." - Paul Mann

Crazedwraith

#5 Post by Crazedwraith »

I dunno. I can see why broomstick annoys people. And usually when I get into a conversation with her I get annoyed.

On the other hand she frequent responds sympathetically when i post to venting threads. So she's not all bad.
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

Flagg

#6 Post by Flagg »

Crazedwraith wrote:I dunno. I can see why broomstick annoys people. And usually when I get into a conversation with her I get annoyed.

On the other hand she frequent responds sympathetically when i post to venting threads. So she's not all bad.
"I like her cause she strokes my ego"
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#7 Post by adr »

so I just wnet over there to see what yall are talking about and saw straha's posts

soooooo intelligent reptiles totally existed. but they were wiped out when lavos fell which like turned over the crust or something so their civilization was buried

but you can still find some of their castle in the middle ages if you do the side quest so there's some evidence, it is just buried.

anyway part of the reason the reptites didn't go to the moon or whatever is because they didn't develop CAPITALISM. you see intelligence just means like you can do shit, it doesn't mean you have to follow one particular path nor develop the amazing productive capabilities we have today

capitalism is what really sets us apart, providing a goal for our capabilities way beyond what biology alone does and pushing onward and upward

seriously i'm not even kidding. well I am a little bit but i mean it too. even if there was all this high tech development stuff maybe they were green (and i don't mean the color of their reptite skin) and the evidence all biodegraded a long time ago
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Straha
Lecturer

#8 Post by Straha »

I'll say this about Broomstick, I have tons of sympathy for her. She thought she had her life figured out and was set up and lost it all almost overnight. That's a fucking jarring experience that causes psychological stress and damage. I have friends who went through similar experiences and didn't recover for years. That goes a long way in my book.

That said I still think she's repugnant at times because of her inability to not categorize people, her need to be always right, and her conflating of her ideas with her person. She's sort of the ur-example of psychological white privilege, and that fucking annoys me.
"Is it not part of being erotically experienced, however, to know that the desire to enter the other can lead one to the wrong entrance?" - Peter Sloterdijk

Jung

#9 Post by Jung »

Straha wrote:Simon I might disagree with, but I can have an intelligent conversation warranted conversation with him and he's civil and understanding. As far as I'm concerned he's probably one of the best posters over there, and I look forward to threads with him in it.
Yeah, Simon Jester always seemed like a decent poster to me.

Straha
Lecturer

#10 Post by Straha »

adr wrote:so I just wnet over there to see what yall are talking about and saw straha's posts

soooooo intelligent reptiles totally existed. but they were wiped out when lavos fell which like turned over the crust or something so their civilization was buried

but you can still find some of their castle in the middle ages if you do the side quest so there's some evidence, it is just buried.

anyway part of the reason the reptites didn't go to the moon or whatever is because they didn't develop CAPITALISM. you see intelligence just means like you can do shit, it doesn't mean you have to follow one particular path nor develop the amazing productive capabilities we have today

capitalism is what really sets us apart, providing a goal for our capabilities way beyond what biology alone does and pushing onward and upward

seriously i'm not even kidding. well I am a little bit but i mean it too. even if there was all this high tech development stuff maybe they were green (and i don't mean the color of their reptite skin) and the evidence all biodegraded a long time ago
I disagree, but at least that is a response.

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#11 Post by Phantasee »

you're all a bunch of shit posters
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

Oxymoron

#12 Post by Oxymoron »

Love you too, Phant.
No.

Flagg

#13 Post by Flagg »

Phantasee wrote:you're all a bunch of shit posters
Go drink a red bull.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

RogueIce
#YOLO

#14 Post by RogueIce »

Really Phant, this was the best you could do for a title? A lame SW reference?

Crazedwraith

#15 Post by Crazedwraith »

what lame reference would you prefer?
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

Oxymoron

#16 Post by Oxymoron »

There have been a few suggestions

but they, too, were lame.
No.

adr

#17 Post by adr »

and moreover, with capitalism being self-destructive and contradictory, it is perhaps quite extraordinary that it has stuck around as long as it has

anyway though Idk about all this but one interesting thing going on in my brain-fic is how their tech isn't necessarily any more advanced than modern day America even though they are like this space civilization that lives in artificial habitats

actually it would be more accurate to say that their tech isn't necessarily more advanced because they are this space civilization. there's an entirely different kind of pressures there, even if all other things were equal

why bother developing fancy aircraft in a space hab? you don't do all that much atmospheric flight anyway. why bother with like fusion power when they have shitloads of solar power available? and much more just from the different environment. I used to just assume if something exists irl today they'd surely have it there but that doesn't have to be true. (and hell even if it was developed at some point there's no guarantee that it is still around as useless factories get repurposed and useless files archived/destroyed)

so that's just made things a little more fun and is something I keep in mind in a lot of discussions

RogueIce
#YOLO

#18 Post by RogueIce »

Oxymoron wrote:There have been a few suggestions

but they, too, were lame.
Mine was awesome. Even Sailor Moon liked it.

evilsoup

#19 Post by evilsoup »

Oxymoron

#20 Post by Oxymoron »

I'd say Darwin's, but I'd need to know more about the other theories to be sure.
No.

adr

#21 Post by adr »

another thing I want to talk about, which is the main point with my lil capitalism thing, is how abstract systems can change things at least as much as the physical environment.

there's the economy but there's also more purely philosophical things too, like ethics and priorities.

yes, the higgs boson would be really interesting to see and might lead to nice stuff.... but is it really worth disrupting all those plant and animal habitats to build the supercollider? what right do we have to dig up the countryside just to scratch an intellectual itch? hell do we even have the right to improve human lives at the cost of animal lives?

and even if you don't care about non humans, let's play the hitler card. what if after ww2, we had two sides coming together: the scientists who say holy shit I never meant for my work to be turned into the atom bomb and the ppl who look at the other atrocities like the Nazi experiments and they decided part of avoiding atrocities is a system of ethics wherein "because I was curious" just isn't good enough

i'm not saying you have to buy this irl but I think this is at least plausible enough to consider as significant modifiers when talking about past or ET civs

of course, on the other hand, ethics change and vary so assuming all this is static for tens of thousands of years prolly isn't much of an answer to the Fermi paradox. but it I still interesting to think about on a smaller scale at least; this is another reason why I think my fic civ has different tech development than earth

WHEEL OF FORTUNE
the category is "before and after"

____ ____ ______

rstlne

TE__ TREE ____ER

we need three consonants and a vowel

cmh and u

TECH TREE HU__ER

ok ten seconds talk it out

"tech tree humper"
"tech tree hugger"

that's right!!!!!!!

Ralin

#22 Post by Ralin »

Straha wrote:I'll say this about Broomstick, I have tons of sympathy for her. She thought she had her life figured out and was set up and lost it all almost overnight. That's a fucking jarring experience that causes psychological stress and damage. I have friends who went through similar experiences and didn't recover for years. That goes a long way in my book.

That said I still think she's repugnant at times because of her inability to not categorize people, her need to be always right, and her conflating of her ideas with her person. She's sort of the ur-example of psychological white privilege, and that fucking annoys me.
Yeah, I didn't really mind all of her whining about being poor, since she clearly needed some sort of outlet. It's just her sheer fucking arrogance and conviction that she has a worthwhile opinion on any given subject that gets me.

Straha
Lecturer

#23 Post by Straha »

Formless goes out of his way to win the stupidest poster of the board award. :wtc:

Jung

#24 Post by Jung »

My reaction to a post like Straha's is "I don't agree that this is really a problem that needs to be explained, but it's an interesting idea and let's talk about it."

Whereas Formless immediately goes to "FIGHT PROVE THE STUPID PERSON WRONG!"

He's a poster boy for half of what's wrong with SDN's culture. I say "half" because he actually does come off to me as having some modicum of intelligence and thoughtfulness; at least he's not like Highlord Laan or Jub who just posts a bunch of stupid drivel and gets away with it because he totes the party line.

Straha
Lecturer

#25 Post by Straha »

I don't even think we need to explain this problem. I just think it's really interesting in a hash it out over a beer sort of way. Even if we explain it it doesn't give us anything we can't get somewhere else. That response is fair, digging heels in and engaging in a page long whine is a hallmark of a turdburger.