Testing Chat IV: A New Hope

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Oxymoron

Re: Testing Chat IV: A New Hope

#26 Post by Oxymoron »

So, in a gun-nut thread, someone post this link.

I'm like : Yeah, of course dude, I'm awakening in panic, with my gun kept unloaded in a safe in another room than my bedroom, and I'll have the time to put the correct load of ammunition into the gun, have the big cartridge in 1st position, put myself in defensive position AND I'll have the cold blood to kill someone just to keep my stereo safe.

The alternative being to sleep with a loaded gun under my pillow or my mattress.

*shakes head*
No.

Zod
perkele

#27 Post by Zod »

Crazedwraith wrote:I dunno. I can see why broomstick annoys people. And usually when I get into a conversation with her I get annoyed.

On the other hand she frequent responds sympathetically when i post to venting threads. So she's not all bad.
Even when she's trying to be sympathetic it usually comes off as condescending.

Aaron
El Duderino

#28 Post by Aaron »

.454 for home defense? Hope you don't like your neighbors much.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#29 Post by RogueIce »

Aaron wrote:.454 for home defense? Hope you don't like your neighbors much.
Maybe they're the ones breaking in. :fukyu:

Ralin

#30 Post by Ralin »

I have to admit, the whole "keep your gun unloaded in a locked safe with the ammo in another locked safe" thing always has always seemed to undermine the idea of owning a gun for self-defense to me.

Sandman

#31 Post by Sandman »

Ralin wrote:I have to admit, the whole "keep your gun unloaded in a locked safe with the ammo in another locked safe" thing always has always seemed to undermine the idea of owning a gun for self-defense to me.
I'm assuming the only way that you're 'protecting against home' invasion in that case is that your sovereign citizenship has suffered an act of pre-declared aggression for which you have plenty of time to prepare before the enemy mobilises or something. Like an actual war, but with tiny-dicked white Americans.

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#32 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Aren't you more likely to be killed by your own gun than have your life saved by it, anyway? Or am I misremembering that?

Oxymoron

#33 Post by Oxymoron »

The idea of owning a gun for self defense, while you're at home at least, has always seemed ridiculous to me. If it was for your personal protection while you're out in a dangerous neighborhood, I can get ; but to protect your home against an invasion I feel there's other efficient ways to defend your home which don't involve the need to kill another human being.

Like for exemple and the top of my head, installing am alarm system slash interphone into the house to let the attackers AND the neighbors you know they're there.
No.

Agent Bert Macklin

#34 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Metahive is the biggest tryhard at SDN. I don't think he or she has ever made post that wasn't laced with expletives.

Aaron
El Duderino

#35 Post by Aaron »

Oxymoron wrote:The idea of owning a gun for self defense, while you're at home at least, has always seemed ridiculous to me. If it was for your personal protection while you're out in a dangerous neighborhood, I can get ; but to protect your home against an invasion I feel there's other efficient ways to defend your home which don't involve the need to kill another human being.

Like for exemple and the top of my head, installing am alarm system slash interphone into the house to let the attackers AND the neighbors you know they're there.
I can certainly see the need, depending on where you live.

That said, more people die in Canada from surgical complications then by someone with a gun. So my shotgun is more likely to be used against a garbage bear then a human.

Agent Bert Macklin

#36 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

If your area has low crime, there's no rational reason to own a gun for self defense. You're only kidding yourself if you use that as a justification to fuel the gun culture.

Aaron
El Duderino

#37 Post by Aaron »

If they were not constitutionally protected then I wonder if we would see a deeper examination of guns, gun culture and gun control, as well as looking at the actual causes of this shit.

Agent Bert Macklin

#38 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

No politician cares about the causes. Cynically, all they care about are votes and brownie points for their supporters. Gun control measures, no matter how appealing, are not the answer.

magic princess

#39 Post by magic princess »

I keep a loaded and ready unlocked gun in my house albeit without the chamber under the hammer or the next one loaded. It's also the lightest of my handguns in terms of firepower to minimize overpenetration. I'll have to invest in one with biometrics when I adopt, though. Also intentionally the heaviest trigger pull possible and probably a second level of biometrics in the bed holster.

Zod
perkele

#40 Post by Zod »

Negative Knub wrote:If your area has low crime, there's no rational reason to own a gun for self defense. You're only kidding yourself if you use that as a justification to fuel the gun culture.
Low crime is relative. But if it takes the police more than 5 minute to reach you to respond to an emergency call, then you'd have a pretty good rationale for having a gun in the house.

timmy

#41 Post by timmy »

magic princess wrote:I keep a loaded and ready unlocked gun in my house albeit without the chamber under the hammer or the next one loaded. It's also the lightest of my handguns in terms of firepower to minimize overpenetration. I'll have to invest in one with biometrics when I adopt, though. Also intentionally the heaviest trigger pull possible and probably a second level of biometrics in the bed holster.
In the bed holster.

Every now and then M, you say something that reminds me that you and I live vastly different lives.
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

magic princess

#42 Post by magic princess »

magic princess

#43 Post by magic princess »

(no, that isn't a picture from my house. It's just to prove they really exist).

Aaron
El Duderino

#44 Post by Aaron »

Considering her personal history, I can't fault her for it.

Coincidently, I visited a friend yesterday who got his dog to keep the crackheads out of his appt. he lives in Ottawa.

Thats interesting, does it just slide between the box spring and matress?

magic princess

#45 Post by magic princess »

Aaron wrote:Considering her personal history, I can't fault her for it.

Coincidently, I visited a friend yesterday who got his dog to keep the crackheads out of his appt. he lives in Ottawa.

Thats interesting, does it just slide between the box spring and matress?

Yeah, the holding plate is big enough that it won't move around even when nobody's on the bed.

Of course, I really think you're a real first-class idiot for this if you don't have some kind of biometric system to keep your child from getting ahold of your gun in your sleep if you have kids, and you sure as shit better not leave it unattended when you wake up in the morning, but it is possible to be safe with a locked and loaded gun on your bed these days if you actually put effort into the right precautions and setup.

As it is right now I just have a revolver with two chambers empty, but I don't have children so it isn't a big deal.

Agent Bert Macklin

#46 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Zod wrote:
Negative Knub wrote:If your area has low crime, there's no rational reason to own a gun for self defense. You're only kidding yourself if you use that as a justification to fuel the gun culture.
Low crime is relative. But if it takes the police more than 5 minute to reach you to respond to an emergency call, then you'd have a pretty good rationale for having a gun in the house.
I know it's relative. But if I can get my hands on crime statistics in my area, you can bet your ass I'm calling anyone out on their self defense nonsense if it's low. You can make a case for guns and self defense in various parts of Atlanta.

Agent Bert Macklin

#47 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

And I agree about Marina. Her history is ripe with abuse from ignorant assholes. Her owning a gun for defense is justified.

magic princess

#48 Post by magic princess »

It isn't just the crime rate. I live in a very low crime area, but also a broke township that has potentially a ten minute response time to a nighttime breakin...at best. (two cops on duty at night, they have to call for backup from Charlestown).

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#49 Post by Phantasee »

I don't like spending my time on the gun control debate, because its not a big issue here and I have no input on the US debate. Thanks for that stat, Aaron, on surgical complications > guns in Canada. That'll help get me out of those boring conversations.
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

Gands

#50 Post by Gands »

I stopped caring about the US gun debate a while ago, namely because I see the gun violence as a symptom of way bigger social problems.

Everything just turns into "You want no guns anywhere" versus "You want guns for children".