Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Losonti Tokash

Re: Bitching bitching.

#151 Post by Losonti Tokash »

Not really.

Djinnkitty83

#152 Post by Djinnkitty83 »

evilsoup wrote:it's got to be one of the best effort/reward ratios I've gotten out of trolling anyone
You are part of the problem, please go away.

This is something that's been festering here for years, has already caused an already tiny board to lose a good chunk of its population when they left in disgust over the repeatedly ignored bigotry, and the one thing you take away from all this is an opportunity to go, 'lol i trol u'?

Seriously, leave, you have nothing of value to contribute and are actively hampering efforts to make this place more tolerable.

Flagg

#153 Post by Flagg »

Djinnkitty83 wrote:
evilsoup wrote:it's got to be one of the best effort/reward ratios I've gotten out of trolling anyone
You are part of the problem, please go away.

This is something that's been festering here for years, has already caused an already tiny board to lose a good chunk of its population when they left in disgust over the repeatedly ignored bigotry, and the one thing you take away from all this is an opportunity to go, 'lol i trol u'?

Seriously, leave, you have nothing of value to contribute and are actively hampering efforts to make this place more tolerable.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#154 Post by Phantasee »

i hate you all
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

Flagg

#155 Post by Flagg »

Phantasee wrote:i hate you all
We hate you too. :fukyu:
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Bob the Gunslinger

#156 Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Ralin wrote:
Losonti Tokash wrote:Do you actually realize what you're even saying? Do you think it's unfair you aren't supposed to call people the n word? Do you think there's a moral equivalence between "dick" and "cunt"?
"Cunt" and "bitch" are not slurs and comparing them to actual ones is ridiculous.
This might be a local cultural thing, but where I live the c word is about as offensive as the n word, but spoken far, far less often. It really does start fights here.

Bitch is tossed around fairly indifferently, but then so is the f-a word.

Just because you can't fathom how it's insulting doesn't mean it isn't insulting to someone halfway around the world.

Glass Fort MacLeod
Fuckin' New Guy

#157 Post by Glass Fort MacLeod »

Phantasee wrote:i hate you all

I don't hate you. I still hate your scary clown avatars.

Questor

#158 Post by Questor »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:
Ralin wrote:
Losonti Tokash wrote:Do you actually realize what you're even saying? Do you think it's unfair you aren't supposed to call people the n word? Do you think there's a moral equivalence between "dick" and "cunt"?
"Cunt" and "bitch" are not slurs and comparing them to actual ones is ridiculous.
This might be a local cultural thing, but where I live the c word is about as offensive as the n word, but spoken far, far less often. It really does start fights here.
It's actually funny. This is one of the biggest issues I have when traveling. When I'm in a group that uses british slang (including my sister at this point) I end up hearing this word all the time, and it's always weird. Like Bob said, locally its at least as offensive as the n-word, perhaps more so. I think I've actually heard it used maybe three times by someone who speaks "Californian."

Ralin

#159 Post by Ralin »

Questor wrote:
Bob the Gunslinger wrote:This might be a local cultural thing, but where I live the c word is about as offensive as the n word, but spoken far, far less often. It really does start fights here.
It's actually funny. This is one of the biggest issues I have when traveling. When I'm in a group that uses british slang (including my sister at this point) I end up hearing this word all the time, and it's always weird. Like Bob said, locally its at least as offensive as the n-word, perhaps more so. I think I've actually heard it used maybe three times by someone who speaks "Californian."
Eh, it may be offensive, but insults and profanity are generally intended to be. I think any damage they might do is a hell of a less than allowing some high-handed prick to declare that X group gets to declare certain words off-limits and that it's not 'my place' to disagree when that's applied to me. I've spent enough of my life gritting my teeth at forums run by people with that sort of ego problem; I don't intend to do it anymore.

Not that that stops me from checking in after awhile and answering, because hey, can't hang out on TEO this long without it rubbing off on you some

Losonti Tokash

#160 Post by Losonti Tokash »

So you're still stuck on how it inconveniences you when told not to use racist or sexist slurs. Cool.

Ralin

#161 Post by Ralin »

Losonti Tokash wrote:So you're still stuck on how it inconveniences you when told not to use racist or sexist slurs. Cool.
Nah, but feel free to keep twisting things to justify your assholishness. I'm not racist or sexist, and I'm damned well not going to accept being told I'm not entitled to disagree with people who tell me how I'm allowed to talk.

evilsoup

#162 Post by evilsoup »

do you go around calling people you don't like niggers, too?

Ralin

#163 Post by Ralin »

evilsoup wrote:do you go around calling people you don't like niggers, too?
No, but I don't consider that anywhere in the same league and it's way more established that nigger is a racist term for all black people? I know plenty of women who have no problem with bitch or cunt.

And admittedly it raises my hackles to be told it's "not my place" to disagree with someone telling me what I'm allowed to say because they're (insert group) and I'm not. As far as I'm concerned it's always my place to say when I think something is stupid.

Aaron
El Duderino

#164 Post by Aaron »

I just want to point out that this is a regional thing as well. I'm happy to abide by forum policy, but it isn't considered to be any more offensive then "asshole" around here.

joviwan

#165 Post by joviwan »

While I'm trying not to touch this closer than from 10' away with a stick... I'm not sure being regional is terribly relevant. Cunt is derogatory slang for female genitalia, and using it as an insult is deliberately misogynist (because using it as an insult implies women are inferior). Whether or not it's offensive to local populations shouldn't matter when evaluating if one wants to use it. There's lots and lots of things considered inoffensive or accepted to various populations that are terrible and awful which we actively avoid.

Oxymoron

#166 Post by Oxymoron »

Not supporting one side or the other, but I just want to know,

is treating someone of "dickwad" okay ?
No.

Losonti Tokash

#167 Post by Losonti Tokash »

Ralin wrote:
evilsoup wrote:do you go around calling people you don't like niggers, too?
No, but I don't consider that anywhere in the same league and it's way more established that nigger is a racist term for all black people? I know plenty of women who have no problem with bitch or cunt.

And admittedly it raises my hackles to be told it's "not my place" to disagree with someone telling me what I'm allowed to say because they're (insert group) and I'm not. As far as I'm concerned it's always my place to say when I think something is stupid.
I could write an entire thesis paper based on this attitudes revealed in this post alone.

No one said you weren't allowed to disagree, but whatever.

It's something I've gotten lots of complaints over, I've asked lots of people about it, and I went with the consensus that a slur entirely based in misogyny is no good. Your entire outlook is troubling and bizarre, but I am not commanding you to stop using in your life full stop. Do whatever you want, but don't use it here.

Losonti Tokash

#168 Post by Losonti Tokash »

Oxymoron wrote:Not supporting one side or the other, but I just want to know,

Think about the context of these insults both in terms of what groups they're mocking and the situations and tone they're used in.

They're not the same, for loads of reasons, but maybe it's better to just not use gendered insults in general.

Oxymoron

#169 Post by Oxymoron »

Not being a native english speaker, what alternatives would you propose ?
No.

Aaron
El Duderino

#170 Post by Aaron »

Asshole, dipshit, jackass. Those are all pretty neutral.

Should probably not use things like retard, idiot or moron as a substitute though

evilsoup

#171 Post by evilsoup »

I suspect that idiot has lost any venom it may once have had, if only because of how old it is - barely anyone is aware of its origins, and the current definition would be something like 'gullible' or 'mug'. There's no harm in avoiding it, but it's not something worth challenging people about. Unlike retard, which you definitely should challenge.

Civil War Man

#172 Post by Civil War Man »

You know, when you take a step back, it's interesting to consider how people are asking which insults they are allowed to use without offending people. The purpose of an insult is to offend, so wouldn't any word that could be considered sufficiently inoffensive not really be fit to be considered an insult?

That's as far as I'll get involved in this topic, however. I agree that some insults are worse than others, but have little interest in compiling a list to determine where the line between acceptable and unacceptable insults lies.

Flagg

#173 Post by Flagg »

Idiot and moron both come from the same place retard does, but they are so tame and generic I don't think any but the biggest of whiners really takes issue with it. But yeah, even though it pains me, it's best not to use terminology that is specifically sexist/racist/homophobic etc. I still take issue with people telling me there are words I can't use, and I think the sensitivity brigade is too quick to jump on certain people while ignoring others.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Djinnkitty83

#174 Post by Djinnkitty83 »

Oxymoron wrote:Not supporting one side or the other, but I just want to know,

It's kind of a gray area. I'm assuming 'dickwad' refers to the remnants of ejaculation, and go from there: Is it saying being male, or possessing this particular aftereffect of male anatomy is bad? Not exactly, it's merely comparing the recipient to a pile of unappealing, smelly jelly.

On the other hand, calling someone a 'dickhead' or just a 'dick' is comparing them negatively to a portion of almost strictly male anatomy.

On the other other hand, that portion of anatomy doesn't have thousands of years of built up history, nearly worldwide, where merely possessing it relegates one to mild social discrimination at best, and being seen as a piece of property at worst (unlike, say, 'cunt').

...unless said possessor is trans*, but that opens up a whole other can of worms.

In summary, until there is an established history/cultural trend of people facing social/economic/religious discrimination, hatred and abuse for possessing a dick (again, outside transpeople), I'd venture a slightly hesitant belief that insults like 'dickhead', 'dickwad' and the like are relatively innoffensive compared to similar slurs involving body parts traditionally associated with women.

Ralin

#175 Post by Ralin »

Yeah, I'll drop it. If enough people don't want to hear it I can live without using those words, since from what I remember I've never actually said either one here and the really don't even use them much anyway.
No one said you weren't allowed to disagree, but whatever.
Truthfully, I probably jumped the gun a little and misread some things you said. Your attitude didn't help though.