Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
evilsoup

#1 Post by evilsoup »

so is anyone else watching this?

Crazedwraith

Re: Avatar: The Legend of Korra

#2 Post by Crazedwraith »

Seen the first series. Which aside from the ending i may have enjoyed as much or more than A:TLA. And am bummed there is no region 2 dvd release. Not seen the new episodes owing to the fact i can't be arsed to pirate them.
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

evilsoup

#3 Post by evilsoup »

the new season is pretty good
Mako's confirmed superpower is 'breaking up with girls'

Crazedwraith

#4 Post by Crazedwraith »

what? He ditched Korra again?! Did she jump on Bolin's bones afterwards? Or is thee a new love interest? And more importantly, why do I care?

evilsoup

#5 Post by evilsoup »

nah he didn't ditch Korra, but he did give some sweet advice to Bolin
MAKO: Gotta tear off that relationship like it's a bloodsucking leech.
BOLIN: Brother, I'm glad you're so great at breaking girls' hearts! Korra ain't gonna know what hit her.

Galvanized

#6 Post by Galvanized »

I thought the premier was a bit rough, especially how Bolin was being forced into the goofball comic relief roll even more than in the first season.

The second episode was pretty good though.

evilsoup

#7 Post by evilsoup »

by the second episode do you mean the second part of the premiere two-parter or the second broadcast episode? Anyway, I think that so far it's been a bit weaker than the first season but still very good. It seems to be moving a little bit too fast
fuck Tenzin's siblings though. You're looking for his missing daughter you pricks, now isn't the time to be going 'ooh you were daddy's favourite'

hey water tribe girl, that's not fair, Korra's not the worst Avatar. What about Roku?

Galvanized

#8 Post by Galvanized »

Oh, right, the 3rd episode. I thought that hour long premier was one episode for some reason :?

Crazedwraith

#9 Post by Crazedwraith »

So I got caught up. Geez, did everyone just become unlikable assholes this book? Even Aang retroactively.

evilsoup

#10 Post by evilsoup »

I actually like that adult Aang has flaws
Varrick (the funny whorecapitalist) is pretty great

Galvanized

#11 Post by Galvanized »

I saw it more like a desperate desire to pass on his culture to the one child he had that turned out to be an airbender.

evilsoup

#12 Post by evilsoup »

that's clearly the reason, but it's nice that this caused problems. It's better than him being a perfect awesome father

Crazedwraith

#13 Post by Crazedwraith »

It understandable why Tenzin would be Aang's favourite kid. To the extent that the other would notice and be put out about it. But I just think the implication that Aang didn't have time at all for the other kids takes it too far. The difference between 'imperfect but trying' and 'asshole'.

And alas, they don't seem to have an cousins from the Sokka/Suki branch of the family.

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#14 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Ok I'm only partway through the first ep but I just have to ask

could we just have the show be about Asami

or wait what I really mean is

can we not care about korra and mako :L

evilsoup

#15 Post by evilsoup »

Asami is pretty great yass
anyway just watched the latest episode (episode 4), and Varrick is the best
BOLIN: Hey can this boat outrun my crazy waterbender ex-girlfriend?!
VARRICK: Why do you think I built this boat?

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#16 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Man apparently all of Aang's kids are in their 50s

Looking pretty good for their age

especially kya :B

Crazedwraith

#17 Post by Crazedwraith »

Infinity Biscuit wrote: could we just have the show be about Asami
I was going to say 'no' because she'd not been seen since the first episode. But then she was in the latest one. And I enjoyed it much more than the previous ones. Co-incidence? I think not.

The Tenzin/Ikki stuff was good and the make up between the families. It makes the previous episodes stuff seem better. I even liked the Varrick/secetary bits this week.

Since not digging Eska.

evilsoup

#18 Post by evilsoup »

Since not digging Eska.
neither's Bolin lol
so I'm guessing the next few episodes is going to be Korra trying to get the other nations involved? The new President guy will be their first port of call, I think, and he's going to be all 'internal water tribe stuff is none of our business'

evilsoup

#19 Post by evilsoup »

evilsoup wrote: so I'm guessing the next few episodes is going to be Korra trying to get the other nations involved? The new President guy will be their first port of call, I think, and he's going to be all 'internal water tribe stuff is none of our business'
aww yeah I was right
and shit I mean I know Korra had a sheltered childhood and junk, but she's almost acting too stupid to live
Mako's superpower confirmed yess

Galvanized

#20 Post by Galvanized »

I was more disappointed with General Iroh. Korra is a willful 16 year old who's been told all her life that she is the ultimate authority when it comes to maintaining balance in the world. It didn't seem out of character to me that she wouldn't accept being told no, and head off to try and force her solution anyway. Iroh however is a middle aged general and should know better than to potentially drag his country (city state or whatever the Republic is) into a war.
But hey, only one more episode until the old animation company takes over again. Everyone will start blinking again. :)

evilsoup

#21 Post by evilsoup »

Is he middle-aged? I know he's older than Korra, but I put him in his twenties. Maybe his 30s I guess (that voice... really doesn't suit him, it puts me off).

anyway it's kind of funny that Aang approached things from a more reasonable & diplomatic way, trying to see both sides of an argument & seek peaceful resolutions,
while Korra's ladybrain overheats from that and she just defaults to kill it with fire
I mean I know it's justified in-show, but it's interesting that they chose to make the female avatar completely overwhelmed by her emotions*

*(seriously though I think it's just that they tried to make her the exact opposite of Aang and this is what they came up with)

Galvanized

#22 Post by Galvanized »

evilsoup wrote:Is he middle-aged? I know he's older than Korra, but I put him in his twenties. Maybe his 30s I guess (that voice... really doesn't suit him, it puts me off).
I dunno. To me he looks older than Ozai did and he had two teenage kids, I just assumed he was in his mid 30s at least.

edit: Man it's been a while since I watched ALA. Ozai looks way older than I remembered.

evilsoup

#23 Post by evilsoup »

yeah I'm not sure myself
the voice really does sound young... but then maybe he just has a young voice
anyway we are talking about the guy who got his whole fleet sunk in under five minutes, I'm pretty sure he got the job based on being the son of the fire lord rather than any skill

Crazedwraith

#24 Post by Crazedwraith »

Being attacked by brand new never seen before tech you have no defense against is rather flummoxing. It's not surprise it went bad for him.

Anyway, interesting episode. And woo, clifhanger. Can't bring myself to care much about Mako/Korra. Though I wonder if he'll go kissing up to Asami again now lol.

I was thinking it was strange Avatar-state Korra could use spirit bending powers on the spirit. Then she did in this episode. And got knocked out of` the state somehow. Intriguing.

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#25 Post by RyanThunder »

How are you guys watching these, by the way? Just TV, or online?