Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

Re: Avatar: The Legend of Korra

#26 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Nick.com is giving free high-quality streaming with limited commercials, but I don't know if that's available outside the US.

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#27 Post by RyanThunder »

Ah, thanks anyway.

evilsoup

#28 Post by evilsoup »

I'm watching it by TOTALLY LEGAL MEANS

Crazedwraith

#29 Post by Crazedwraith »

To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

Galvanized

#30 Post by Galvanized »

I missed the first 10 minutes of the show, so I don't know why Mako teamed up with a bunch of mobsters, but what I do know is that Korra getting a case of explosive amnesia is pretty damn lame.

The worst part was Asami kissing Mako. I literally shouted "No!" at the TV. It's a shame because I thought the scene right before that was really well done. Her standing there, looking at the empty warehouse realizing that her company was bankrupt, Mako trying to stay positive, and Asami telling him it didn't matter anymore. It was great and I was really excited to see where Asami went as a character after such a colossal disaster. Right into Mako's arms would have been the sort of guess I'd throw out jokingly, but they went and did it. :doh:

Varrik's shit eating smirk at the end saved the episode. Even as a bastard he's still a fun character.

evilsoup

#31 Post by evilsoup »

spoilers for episode six:
The Legend of Korra was much improved by removing Korra, lol
I'd like it if Mako and Asami did get back together, frankly I think they're a much better fit (and I would watch the shit out of The Legend of Asami and Mako)
but I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen. I bet Mako will play along in order to get information on Varrick, though, and that'll end up wrecking things. That's my tentative prediction for this sub-plot

Anyway, now that Varrick has turned out to be evil (what a shock lol), my prediction for this season is halfway complete: now we just need for Unalaq to turn out to have genuinely good intentions but terrible planning abilities. However, with the line 'they [the dark spirits] are out of control!', implying that Unalaq had some control over the dark spirits, that seems less likely...

evilsoup

#32 Post by evilsoup »

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#33 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Yes "lol" those silly people finding a scene where bolin sexually assaults someone disturbing

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#34 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

on a lighter note
the return of the love triangle and korra's case of EXPLOSIVE AMNESIA have brought the show a new appeal in the form of watching how much it ends up like all my circuits

Galvanized

#35 Post by Galvanized »

There's even identical evil twins.

Wait no, this is actually the second set of evil identical twins in the show

evilsoup

#36 Post by evilsoup »

more lol at failing to read a scene so badly
that post is treating it as if the show is trying to say 'ho ho ho, Bolin, you lovable scamp you', when really it's trying to say 'oh Bolin, you pathetic manchild, shouldn't you be able to tell reality from fiction by now'. So yes it's drawing humour from the situation, but the crucial bit is 'who is being made fun of here?'
Varrick's all for it, but then he's a skeevy bastard. Ginger is obviously pissed off with him. I think it's pretty clear that the show doesn't present the forced kiss as an OK thing to do.

And also calling that rape is... stretching the definition. But that's more of a presentational point (and kind of a pedantic one too, since I agree with it being sexual assault, but): it makes the post look like an over-the-top parody.

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#37 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

I'll admit I looked at that page and thought 'is this some kind of false flag operation'

evilsoup

#38 Post by evilsoup »

that was my first thought, but then reading the poster's responses to the predictably horrendous comments leads me to think it's genuine, albeit poorly presented

Crazedwraith

#39 Post by Crazedwraith »

show when I said we'd go back to mako/asami now that Korra got dumped. I was joking. That was a joke. This is not a good direction to go in.

And Mako's a bit of an idiot. You hired criminals and promised them bending and vehicles that would let them commit more crime?! Really?! Considering how much your integrity mattered to you only last episode.

As to Bolin yeah, that's skeevy and wrong. That's the joke, I guess. But as far as sexual harassment goes, this was one of the least sleazy possible ways for it to happen. After all throwing in a unscripted kiss as an actor with your love interest because it felt right at time is not exactly a terrible crime imho. Though admittedly you'd do better to clear it with your co-star before hand and more dammingly that was obviously not why Bolin did it.

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#40 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

How legit Mako was being about getting Shady Shin's bending back is ambiguous, given how his relationship with Korra was on the rocks. Ultimately he and Asami couldn't run the sting on their own, and in the grand scheme of things cracking the Cultural Centre bombing is big enough to do something shady.

evilsoup

#41 Post by evilsoup »

latest episode was pretty great
Lion Turtles! That dragon dance! Wan wearing a mask to lead a rebellion! Presumably the guys who leave the city with firebending become the Sun Warriors.

I'm guessing that Wan will get different elements from the next three Lion Turtles he meets? And then presumably learns fine control by observing the Badgermoles, the moon, and the Air Bison. It's a very neat way of expanding the mythological origin stories without stripping away the mythological feeling (which is what I was afraid of for this episode).

I haven't seen the second part yet, will probably watch it tomorrow.
Also Korra-minus-Korra continues to be more entertaining than the main show lol.

Crazedwraith

#42 Post by Crazedwraith »

so I watched the two parter. Pretty damn snazzy really. Hopefully it mark and up turn in the quality of episodes with Korra in it.

But they missed the chance for an epic Last Days of FOXHOUND style twist at the end there.
Fire Lady Mystic: Do you remember you are?
Korra: Yes. I am the Avatar.... My name is Wan

Alas, missed opportunity.

evilsoup

#43 Post by evilsoup »

for some reason I'm suddenly wondering what happened to Azula
I may have to write a fanfic (but a short one this time lol)

anyways, who do you think
will end up being possessed by the evil spirit for the final battle? The obvious choice is Unalaq, but they could also go for one of Korra's posse. Mako, maybe
or
since the avatar spirit is the spirit of love and reconciliation, maybe Asami :giggidy:

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#44 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Ok I'm halfway through The Beginning and I was really enjoying it and wondering why the show couldn't just be this instead of the semi-modern stuff it's at now

But then suddenly we get a Good White Order vs Evil Black Chaos struggle inserted into the series mythology : (

Galvanized

#45 Post by Galvanized »

When I was first watching the two episodes I thought they might twist the expectations, and have the dark spirit be the one who won and eventually fused with the avatar. It's victory was supposed to remake the world, and the current setting is radically different visually. Sadly everything was just as clear cut as it seemed to be.

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#46 Post by RyanThunder »

Good white order vs evil black chaos sounds like a positive addition. I wish the great spirits didn't look like giant flying carpets though.

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#47 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

:L

:LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#48 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Well I don't exactly expect you to want to understand why black = evil, white = good, order = good, chaos = evil has issues but

The whole thing about Avatar so far has been bringing balance. Yet here we have this thing of oh no we can't let darkness win or it'll kill everyone ever, we have to make sure light wins every time. Every time.

Kind of throws a wrench in the basic theme of the setting, doesn't it?

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#49 Post by RyanThunder »

That's fair.

I can see the issue with black = evil, white = good but what's the issue with order = good, chaos = evil?

I admit I expected both the spirits to be colossal dicks that the Avatar somehow conned into taking their fight elsewhere.

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#50 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

We don't need any balance between order and chaos; all order all the time is good

It's not JUST that order = good (though that's an issue in itself) but that it must win every time because if order ever loses the upper hand even for a moment not only does everything change but everything is lost forever

I mean, from what you've said before I can understand that appealing to you, but you have to understand at least why it'd be seen as an issue to others, right?