[Movie discussion] - Chappie

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Oxymoron

[Movie discussion] - Chappie

#1 Post by Oxymoron »

DISCLAIMER: this thread assumes that you have watched the movie. Be aware that spoilers -will not- be marked as such and -will not- be hidden.

So, a new movie by the maker of District 9. Same general setting - present day Johannesburg, with a twist.

This time, to adress the rampant criminality problem of the city, the authorities have deployed a new weapon to fight against criminals: robots.

And it works. The criminals are in a state of siege as they are consistently being driven back.

Meanwhile, the creator of these robots, a humble engineer in a transnational corporation, is on the verge of making one of the biggest breakthrough in the history of science and technology.

The story begins when several of these criminals with a huge debt to repay decide to accomplish a big hit to get the money they need. Problem is, these new robots are cramping their style.

This is the start of an adventure that shouldn't have happened.

------

So, why I liked this movie:

- robits
- AIs
- robits fighting
- some kind of modern / present day cyberpunk aesthetic, not the overplayed 90s Blade Runner ripoff kind.
- touched upon one of my favorite brainbugs: consciousness, and the emulation thereof.

I heartily recommend watching that movie if you haven't. It's really quite enjoyable.
No.

Manus Dei

Re: [Movie discussion] - Chappie

#2 Post by Manus Dei »

[brackets]
Ralin wrote:Finally I realized that when Walker fights the Satanic ponies I need to mention how his 'lower horn' is glowing and sparkling as it draws in and focuses Equestria's ambient magic.

Manus Dei

#3 Post by Manus Dei »

Also Die Antwoord are in it as themselves except not

so if your key criteria to see a movie or not is "Does it have Die Antwoord in it"

you may or possibly may not like it
Ralin wrote:Finally I realized that when Walker fights the Satanic ponies I need to mention how his 'lower horn' is glowing and sparkling as it draws in and focuses Equestria's ambient magic.

Oxymoron

#4 Post by Oxymoron »

Manus Dei wrote:[brackets]
What about them?

Also, I didn't know about the existence of Die Antwood, and in retrospect this only makes it more awesome.
No.

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#5 Post by Bakustra »

I loved this movie, down to the fact that the police-robot plant still uses Windows XP to run shit. It's beautiful.