So it turns out there's a good vampire movie

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Bounty

So it turns out there's a good vampire movie

#1 Post by Bounty »

People in glass trousers shouldn't shit bricks.

Oxymoron

Re: So it turns out there's a good vampire movie

#2 Post by Oxymoron »

Nice.
No.

evilsoup

#3 Post by evilsoup »

oh yeah, saw this a couple of weeks ago
I remember thinking that it was very hashtag problematic

Oxymoron

#4 Post by Oxymoron »

Can you elaborate, please?
No.

evilsoup

#5 Post by evilsoup »

well there's one bit early on, where the vampires are introducing themselves, that one of them says that they 'used to be a nazi'
which doesn't even have any bearing on the plot, and the film seems to think that I'll laugh just because 'nazi vampire!!1! so random'. -- it's not even mocking the nazis, it just seems to think that the concept of a nazi vampire is inherently funny, like it's one fancy-dress monster wearing another fancy-dress monster. Which put a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

I can forgive one shit joke, though. More important is the underlying misogyny: we are essentially watching three men killing a bunch of women. The only two men I can recall getting killed
get brought back to life with new superpowers
whereas all the women just die.
And the film seems to think that we'll be somewhat sympathetic to these characters? It's a film where we are supposed to laugh at the antics of three unrepentant serial killers just they're vampires roflmao. They're just awful people doing awful things, and there's not really any humour there apart from a handful of jokes sprinkled throughout.

I can sort of see what they were trying to do. But, ultimately, I just didn't find it very funny.

Bounty

#6 Post by Bounty »

One of the themes of the movie is that these are basically guys who are >200 years out of date on everything and one is literally a medieval tryrant. When Deacon says he was with the Nazis it doesn't really seem to register with him that there's something wrong or strange about it.

As for the deaths, yes, but that's the classic vampire shtick of seduce-kill-repeat.
There's a quick bit when they're on the town meeting a female vampire who's doing the same to male victims, and two vampire preteens who go after paedophiles.
Too bad you didn't enjoy it :(
People in glass trousers shouldn't shit bricks.