the prime directive

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

the prime directive

#1 Post by adr »

So I found myself in the middle of a real life conflict this month and wasn't sure what to do, so I was inspired to consult the Holy Scriptures, specifically the Book of Picard.

In "Redemption", Captain Picard finds himself in a Klingon civil war, even receiving a distress call from the ship of the legitimate leader of the Empire, and what does he do? "Plot a course safely away from the combat area. Half impulse. [.....] Engage" (Picard 4:26)

Why does he do this? Why is it the correct course of action for him? For me?

He does it to avoid being dragged into that war. This, of course, keeps the Federation out of a war which is desirable itself! But it also keeps the Federation out of Klingon politics. If the Enterprise were involved in rigging an election so their preferred candidate would win, we'd prolly clearly see this as being exactly the kind of thing the prime directive was meant to prevent, manipulating some other culture for their own imperialistic benefit. Surely manipulating the political process with photon torpedoes is even worse!

While Gowron might be the leader, I think it is questionable for the Federation to get involved in putting down ANY rebellion, armed or not, with force, but doubly so in the case of the Klingons, where such battles are a part of their process, for better or for worse. It isn't exactly the same as an honorable duel in the council chambers, but it kinda is the same idea.

Well, is it the right choice for me in my real life? Of course, we ought always seek to emulate the true path of Picard! Case closed.

but even beyond that being involved in an interpersonal feud isn't fun in any case and sometimes people need to make their own mistakes to learn. or not learn, in which case i wanna be well clear of the pain. so yeah shields up... and move us safely away from the combat area.
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Stofsk

Re: the prime directive

#2 Post by Stofsk »

how could this example possibly help your real-life dilemma

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#3 Post by adr »

How could it not? Picard is most wise.

besides i'd rather watch star trek alone than put up with real life people drama anyway

and interestingly, last night i went up to one of my girl friends' houses and found her husband watching... TNG! He even just finished Redemption then skipped ahead to True Q. Afterward, I suggested he take a gander at Death Wish. Good times.
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Stofsk

#4 Post by Stofsk »

adr wrote:besides i'd rather watch star trek alone than put up with real life people drama anyway
qft