RogueIce
#YOLO

Re: Trek Thread

#1176 Post by RogueIce »

context plz

timmy

#1177 Post by timmy »

Name of Red Squad leader and acting C/O of a Defiant-class ship is my name IRL. Imagine my surprise when that lobbed.
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

Stofsk

#1178 Post by Stofsk »

you broke the ship YOU BROKE THE BLOODY SHIP

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1179 Post by RogueIce »

How could you be so mean to Jake Sisko timmy? :colbert:

Crazedwraith

#1180 Post by Crazedwraith »

poor guy's got enough problem. Guest stars get better episodes that he does.
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

timmy

#1181 Post by timmy »

RogueIce wrote:How could you be so mean to Jake Sisko timmy? :colbert:
I was under a tonne of pressure, man. Was taking four times the recommended dose of trisvenlafaxinate that I should have. Anyway it doesn't matter, I lived long enough to see myself die a villain.

-thejester

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1182 Post by RogueIce »

timmy wrote:Anyway it doesn't matter, I lived long enough to see myself die a villain.
That's the important thing, after all.

Also Nog totally outranked you and should have shut you down but well that was just Nog. :picard:

Stofsk

#1183 Post by Stofsk »

Nog was only an ensign and he looked up to those Red Squad jocks the entire time he was at the academy

What I'm trying to say is that a lot of dumb cadets and one super badass warship was lost so that Nog could learn a lesson

timmy

#1184 Post by timmy »

He was also probably thinking 'well, if they weren't out here doing radio silence they'd probably all outrank me'

-thejester

timmy

#1185 Post by timmy »

Goddammit Chris I really need to have another crack at doing that rewrite.

-thejester

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1186 Post by RogueIce »

To be fair, even if he had tried to assert his rank, I'm not entirely sure they would have listened and he might have gotten locked up beside Jake.

And that's assuming they didn't actually outrank him because Starfleet is weird like that. I mean these "Cadet Officers" had legitimate rank pips on their collars, and not the 'provisional' ones like we see in Voyager.

EDIT: Apparently, Ron Moore went with the latter idea:
Ron D. Moore Q&A wrote:Q: In "Valiant" Shouldn't the actually commissioned Ensign Nog have immediately outranked every single one of the cadets, acting captain or not, the minute he set foot on the ship?

A: That's the way it would've worked in the USN. I decided to go with a somwhat older idea that a lawfully designated commanding officer cannot be removed from command except by someone of flag rank. (I'm over-simplifying this idea, but this is roughly the way that things worked in the 18th-19th century Royal Navy.) Captain Watters was given a valid commission and had held his command for eight months. It didn't seem like I was stretching things too far to allow him to continue in that role when Nog arrived -- and remember that Nog was also commissioned as a young cadet who hadn't even been at the Academy for as long as Watters.

Crazedwraith

#1187 Post by Crazedwraith »

I think they also originally planned for it to be Kira in that episode not Nog but then reaised there was absolutely no way she wouldn't have taken command. Even though she's from an entirely differently organisation. (not that ever did seem to stop her on the show)

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1188 Post by RogueIce »

RDM did mention that, and basically said she would have kicked their asses and taken back the ship.

TBH I think it would be more along the lines of, she's an experienced, senior officer with significant combat experience. Especially as a guerilla fighter, which is basically what the cadets on the Valiant were doing. I think a large chunk of the crew would have respected her experience and probably listened when she told them it was a bad idea to go after that Dreadnought.

Nog, in addition to his hero worship problems, simply lacked much of the credibility and expertise someone like Kira would possess. Similar to if Worf had been the one to show up, hell even O'Brien even if he wasn't an officer. Fuck, Eddington could have handled shit with those cadets if it came right down to it. I'm pretty sure even Bashir could have asserted control over Red Squad if need be - Jadzia of course has shitloads of experience with the Dax symbiote, even if she looks like a young officer physically, that she could have employed if it were her. Needless to say, an actual Starfleet Captain like Sisko would probably have just been given command of the ship outright by the entire crew even if Cadet Watters was insistent on being stupid.

Nog was pretty much the only one who held a Starfleet commission (and was a character we knew/cared about) that could find himself in that position.

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#1189 Post by adr »

I love ds9 so much

I need to purchase the dvds someday soon. maybe my xmas present to meself
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1190 Post by RogueIce »

So how about that new Star Trek show you get to pay $6/month for the privilege of watching?

Crazedwraith

#1191 Post by Crazedwraith »

I shall likely not see it. It'll likely go on a pay channel like sky here if we get it at all. and I can't be arsed pirating it.

eta: and I don't know if you were directing that comment in my general direction on TEO but 'I don't like the writing of the films and am worried I won't like the same guy's writing in a TV show' doesn't really translate to 'i hate action scenes'

Stofsk

#1192 Post by Stofsk »

I was excited by this news until I heard a) that Kurtsman will be showrunner and b) that it'll be stuck behind another paywall. I mean I would have pirated it anyway if I wanted to watch it but it's just the principle. 'Yeah lets have a new Star Trek show and make it so people who want to watch it have to pay us the privilege.'

Sometimes I think the licence holders want Trek to fail.

This could all be premature griping though. We know next to nothing about this new show.

evilsoup

#1193 Post by evilsoup »

do we know if it's nu trek or trek classic?

Crazedwraith

#1194 Post by Crazedwraith »

we do not. i don't know if its likely they'll want to run more than one continuity though.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1195 Post by RogueIce »

Crazedwraith wrote:I shall likely not see it. It'll likely go on a pay channel like sky here if we get it at all. and I can't be arsed pirating it.

eta: and I don't know if you were directing that comment in my general direction on TEO but 'I don't like the writing of the films and am worried I won't like the same guy's writing in a TV show' doesn't really translate to 'i hate action scenes'
No, more that Predator490 guy who was saying that the nuTrek universe was more "action oriented" as some kind of intrinsic feature of that timeline, and not just it being a movie (because even the PU Trek movies tended to be more action-y than the shows) and/or the specific writers.

Admittedly I've seen it more strongly on other sites discussing the show than SDN. Still don't get the hate the nuTrek universe gets as a setting though because which one it's in will almost certainly be meaningless to the new show outside of maybe art design.

Stofsk

#1196 Post by Stofsk »

Crazedwraith wrote:we do not. i don't know if its likely they'll want to run more than one continuity though.
The prime universe still has a lot of currency with Trekkies. CBS knows this. CBS also knows *ANY* Star Trek show is going to need Trekkies to be onboard. You don't need them for a big screen blockbuster to be a financial success but for a TV show you basically want strong consistent viewership week by week. They might take the view of letting the JJverse stuff stay on the big screen while they do their own thing in the prime universe.

It's not that huge a stretch because CBS handles all the licencing for the prime universe anyway via books and STO, which brings them money. From a creative point of view having a new Star Trek show set post-Romulus getting blown up might also be too good an opportunity to pass up. Dealing with the fallout with that shit might be one of the things either Kurtzmann or CBS (or both) want to explore.

Otoh they might just set it in the JJverse because fuck it

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1197 Post by RogueIce »

Stofsk wrote:Otoh they might just set it in the JJverse because fuck it
At this point I almost want them to for the fanboy bitching alone. :duchess:

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#1198 Post by adr »

so a friend and me were blabbing many months ago abotu what we'd do with a st show

me i'm like just write it good like tos and tng visiting planets of the week. i'd like to do a bit more city on a ship bits but really i'd be happy with the fundamentals being strong

but he was like they should go nuts with new tech and do stories where the ship itself is a character (the next logical step in his opinion from Data and the Doctor EMH) and the bulk of the ship is a holodeck and more wildness like that

idk tho. i'd watch either way if they have even just ok writing prolly (i honestly do enjoy most of voyager despite the internet telling me it is crap so eh)
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

evilsoup

#1199 Post by evilsoup »

based on past experience, wouldn't the whole ship being a holodeck be a Really Bad Idea lol

I'm definitely up for the ship being a character, though

voyager's like 90% great

Crazedwraith

#1200 Post by Crazedwraith »

Every sci-fi show ever rates it's ship as a character.

But I expect you mean full on Andromeda style?