Zod's kickstarter plan

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Manus Dei

Re: Zod's kickstarter plan

#76 Post by Manus Dei »

Questor wrote:DSLR's are nice, but they do have some limitations. I would not recommend using a DSLR you've never used before to film a documentary. Also, the onboard mics are universally horrible. If you're looking for something where you can buy lenses for both, take a look at the Sony NEX range. I think Canon may have a comparable range as well.
Yeah, seriously. DSLRs are getting a lot of attention recently for movie-making but they have a lot of limitations you need to work around, mostly as a result of the fact they're made for, well, photos rather than movies. A good example is the some-times screwy way electronic lenses handle aperture that can be a major headache for movie making but utterly irrelevent when taking a photo.
Ralin wrote:Finally I realized that when Walker fights the Satanic ponies I need to mention how his 'lower horn' is glowing and sparkling as it draws in and focuses Equestria's ambient magic.

Zod
perkele

#77 Post by Zod »

Manus Dei wrote:
Questor wrote:DSLR's are nice, but they do have some limitations. I would not recommend using a DSLR you've never used before to film a documentary. Also, the onboard mics are universally horrible. If you're looking for something where you can buy lenses for both, take a look at the Sony NEX range. I think Canon may have a comparable range as well.
Yeah, seriously. DSLRs are getting a lot of attention recently for movie-making but they have a lot of limitations you need to work around, mostly as a result of the fact they're made for, well, photos rather than movies. A good example is the some-times screwy way electronic lenses handle aperture that can be a major headache for movie making but utterly irrelevent when taking a photo.
News to me. I know most DSLRs have some basic movie recording features but it would've never occurred to me to try and use one for any kind of serious video production work.

Agent Bert Macklin

#78 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

A DSLR was used for Act of Valor and Tiny Furniture. It's possible to make a feature film with one.

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#79 Post by Phantasee »

Yeah I have a couple friends that filmed their entire documentary on a DSLR. Came out okay.
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

Questor

#80 Post by Questor »

Manus Dei wrote:Yeah, seriously. DSLRs are getting a lot of attention recently for movie-making but they have a lot of limitations you need to work around, mostly as a result of the fact they're made for, well, photos rather than movies. A good example is the some-times screwy way electronic lenses handle aperture that can be a major headache for movie making but utterly irrelevent when taking a photo.
My favorite video-SLR moment was listening to a teacher who'd ignored my recommendations (because " just don't like Canon") and paid a stupid amount for the EOS they filmed that episode of House with.

He was really annoyed when the autofocus was loud, and there was no auto-zoom.

It's almost like professional DPs/cameramen who are used to manual focus and manual zoom can operate them well, but they're not right for amateurs, amirite?

Said teacher did eventually buy a NEX, and loves it. That's a nice camera, even though it does have the aforementioned lack of auto-zoom, but it's doable without the loud/useless autofocus.