Godammed SDN

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Kryten

Re: Godammed SDN

#3326 Post by Kryten »

adr wrote:occupy movements aren't dedicated to copyright infringement, so this bill does not affect them
That would only matter if there was any real legal review-that what he's trying to say.

Losonti Tokash

#3327 Post by Losonti Tokash »

adr wrote:occupy movements aren't dedicated to copyright infringement, so this bill does not affect them
irrelevant, they'd have to prove they aren't and their websites would be shutdown/blocked in the meantime anyway

corporations already try to use dmca to shutdown things they don't hold the rights to, so why would massively expanding this ability suddenly make them play nice

RogueIce
#YOLO

#3328 Post by RogueIce »

weemadando wrote:Those TOS conditions are invalid. When they started getting rolled out after the PSN hack (Sony started trying to cover their arses and minimise potential costs in the future) every lawyer that the nerd press talked to said stuff along the lines of "yeah, those conditions would never hold up."

Not to mention the various precedents around the place where judges have gone: "what, you expect a lay person to read, comprehend and agree to a legal document longer and more complicated than the entirety of a mortgage and house purchase just so they can use some software that sells for a few hundred at most? EULAs invalid. Thank you."
They are? Sweet. I didn't see that in any of the nerd press articles I read, aside from mentioning they'd be invalid in places "outside the US" such as the EU and I guess Canada, Aussieland and the like.

weemadando

#3329 Post by weemadando »

There's specific exclusion clauses in some of them too apparently where if you send a signed letter requesting that a section of hte EULA/TOS not apply to you to the legal department at whatever place, that section no longer applies. I think Sony is the one that has most of these.

*edit* I think these have a lot of overlap with the TOS conditions that were invalid about "you give up the right to ever take any action against us no matter how incompetent, evil or dickish we are".

adr-admin
Site Admin

#3330 Post by adr-admin »

los, do you know how easy it is to fight a false dmca request?

when someone sends a takedown request to your isp, they contact you

you hit reply on your email thing and say "bullshit"

that was the end of it for me and i doubt my case was anything special

Djinnkitty83

#3331 Post by Djinnkitty83 »

adr wrote:los, do you know how easy it is to fight a false dmca request?

That's weird, because I've heard the exact opposite: A number of ISPs who have shut down peoples' websites without warning due to anonymous, unsourced complaints, and the webmasters having to fight tooth and nail and threaten court action to get the takedowns lifted.

Djinnkitty83

#3332 Post by Djinnkitty83 »

Back on topic: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 9#p3618219
cesario wrote:Yes, that is the sort of high school bullshit I would expect from you.
Ow! The irony, it hurts!

Zod
perkele

#3333 Post by Zod »

Djinnkitty83 wrote:
adr wrote:los, do you know how easy it is to fight a false dmca request?

That's weird, because I've heard the exact opposite: A number of ISPs who have shut down peoples' websites without warning due to anonymous, unsourced complaints, and the webmasters having to fight tooth and nail and threaten court action to get the takedowns lifted.
best of all ICE can always just seize the domain, and they don't have to tell you why

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201112 ... ails.shtml

adr-admin
Site Admin

#3334 Post by adr-admin »

Djinnkitty83 wrote:A number of ISPs who have shut down peoples' websites without warning due to anonymous, unsourced complaints, and the webmasters having to fight tooth and nail and threaten court action to get the takedowns lifted.
They should just take their business to an ISP with decent customer service.

The laws says when they get a takedown request, it must be forwarded to the alleged infringer, who can then file a counter-notice. If he does, the material must be put back within 14 days, unless it actually goes to court. From: http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap5.html#512 section (g)

They aren't supposed to take the whole site down either with dmca, nor should it be anonymous. The complaint must be signed and list specific items.

But, of course, if they don't obey the law, you'll have to sue the isp which is a hassle too, which is why I'd just take my business elsewhere.

adr-admin
Site Admin

#3335 Post by adr-admin »

Aaron
El Duderino

#3336 Post by Aaron »

Everything will be the same as it is now, just more expensive. Cause you can bet we'll ride that oil train until the last drop, and then stand around going "hmm, now what?"

My grandkids will think we're all I'M A JUGGALO WOOP WOOP for not doing anything.

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#3337 Post by starku »

write more fanfic about it stat

Aaron
El Duderino

#3338 Post by Aaron »

nah, I have more interesting things to do. Besides, thats Surly's bag, needs more breadlines.

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#3339 Post by Bakustra »

man i make my brief return to posting and i realize that ill prob have to write more replies using this damn kindle 4 keyboard

also reading a magazine for "middle market ceos" revealed that the american upper class is so clueless that ads for private planes and 36000$ watches for christmas appear alongside editorials denouncing occupy, corporate lobbyists, and welfare as a concept with no irony

timmy

#3340 Post by timmy »

Useless fuckheads, the lot of of them

Fuck the lot

I just want to watch the world burn after the (wait for it, first world probs coming) last two weeks
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

weemadando

#3341 Post by weemadando »

I bought a new XBox media remote thing as one of them has gone walkies (thanks toddler). It had the usual "cannot be returned no matter what once opened any damage is your problem" on the side of the packaging, and then a sticker over the top that went something like:

"Changes to return and warranty conditions for Australia:
Must be repaired or replaced at manufacturer expense should it be faulty or damaged - even if damage is sustained post purchase, can be returned for any reason including change of mind or not meeting expectations."

But in a whole lot more letters.

FUCKING COMMUNISTS over-ruling the invisible hand.

timmy

#3342 Post by timmy »

Damn consumer protection, ruining corporate shit!

-thejester

Stofsk

#3343 Post by Stofsk »

timmy wrote:Useless fuckheads, the lot of of them

Fuck the lot

I just want to watch the world burn after the (wait for it, first world probs coming) last two weeks
why what happened?

timmy

#3344 Post by timmy »

First two lines refer to the 1%

Who have almost certainly never had their children for four hours on christmas eve and then gotten up the next day and worked sixteen hours

And then the day after that

And then a day off

And then another seven days straight

When I leave home tomorrow morning I literally won't see it again until Monday afternoon.

-thejester

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#3345 Post by starku »

but its so haaaaaaaaaaaard to be rich

do you know how many phonecalls you have to make to get a decent nanny in this city???? oh may GAWD

timmy

#3346 Post by timmy »

I gotta be honest

I would love to be rich enough to live in New York for a year

-thejester

weemadando

#3347 Post by weemadando »

The neighbourhood we live in is fucking Snob Hill. My wife when she went to the local mother's group fucking hated all the other mothers. Because they'd have meetings at the various houses of the group (most of which belonged in goddamn furniture catalogues apparently) and the mothers were going:

"I cannot believe that we aren't allowed to fly first class anymore because they don't allow children there. We have to fly business class now."

"We've had to rent out our home in Boston because there's no way we'll be able to get there this year. My husband will just have to stay at the Four Seasons when he travels."

"Our nanny won't work weekends. What are we meant to do?"

Meanwhile my wife going to herself:

"We have to use both of our credit cards to get enough money together to replace our car with one eight years old and with 200,000ks on it and I have to go back to work as soon as we can get a day care slot..."

Man, it's fucking hard to be rich.

timmy

#3348 Post by timmy »

When Charlotte was a toddler I had to do the same thing but i Sandy Bay.

-thejester

weemadando

#3349 Post by weemadando »

I would love to have these people's problems.

I wonder what it would be like to have never spent a night unable to sleep because you're too busy thinking about which bills you can avoid paying for another fortnight or month so you can afford rent this fortnight.

Or trying to find a way to make that 30 bucks that you have leftover for a fortnight after rent stretch to cover your bills, food and uni costs.

Or celebrate with your girlfriend because you found a couch in Vinnies for 15 dollars and somehow, between the two of you having that much money, and being so goddamn happy because for the first time you have a piece of furniture that isn't made out of stolen milkcrates, cinder blocks and railway sleepers.

timmy

#3350 Post by timmy »

When we're fifty we'll look back on this and laugh

As we're standing in breadlines

-thejester