starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

Re: Trek Thread

#351 Post by starku »

tim why wasn't i warned the raider was open bolt

Crazedwraith

#352 Post by Crazedwraith »

Got TNG Season 4. I got Season 3 a while back, so I had to get Season 4. However else would I know if Picard escaped the Dastardly clutches of the borg!

So you know what that means! I blather on about the episodes I'm watching.

Best Of Both Worlds Part II.
Ok. Everyone knows about this one. I'd just forgotten that after there's quite a delay between the borg going to sleep and their ship blowing up. (why the Queen is not frantically getting them to all wake up again is anyone's guess thanks FC) And Riker actually makes the decision not to halt the energy build up and lead them explode. Yay, evolved sensibilities.

It also occurs to me that Shelby in the New Frontier doesn't really resemble her personality in BoBW at all. It's sad PAD just used a lot of TNG character's names but not much else.

Family.
Picard's brother is an ass. And Picard feels guilty about the borg. Good stuff. Such a pity Riker's been reset without comment.

Brothers.
Wasted opportunity. Far much time spend with Data taking over the ship and far too little stuff of the interaction between him and his creator and Lore. Though can't have been easy having Spiner play a triple role for the episode.

Suddenly Human.
Picard rattles his saber over a human boy raised by aliens. Gives in when the boy stabs him. Its a decent enough episode. Though I wonder what the reaction of the boy's Admiral mother was when Picard handed him back over.
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

Darth Tedious

#353 Post by Darth Tedious »

CrazedWraith wrote:Brothers.
Wasted opportunity. Far much time spend with Data taking over the ship and far too little stuff of the interaction between him and his creator and Lore. Though can't have been easy having Spiner play a triple role for the episode.
But the whole 'Data hijacks the ship' bit was SOOOO COOL AND IT GAVE THE DATA WANKERS BONERS FOR WEEKS.

Yeah, there really wasn't that much time spent between father and sons. On its own, it could have been a much better episode, though it did play well in Data's overall character arc, IMO.
adr rox worship him or suffer large
and so forth, etc.
also STAR TREK

uraniun235

#354 Post by uraniun235 »

Yeah, the "Data can lock us out totally!" thing was pretty dumb. A better way to do it would have been to write it so that everything Picard did to respond to the problem worked; just that Data was always a step ahead of the crew, so that by the time they finally catch up he's already on the planet and the transporter just auto-erased its destination history. It pooches the dumb "oh no a kid is sick and we have a countdown" B-plot, but that should have been shitcanned anyway.

Crazedwraith

#355 Post by Crazedwraith »

Reached The Wounded. With Benjamin Maxwell HERO OF THE FEDERATION.

Remembering big arguments about him from TEO. It's clear he's a bit bonkers. Picard asks him why he hasn't informed starfellet and hse says the bureaucrats wouldn't do anything about it if they did. Only the real men, the Captain on the frontier could be trusted. So Picard asks if he can see the evidence and Maxwell just goes on a huge rant about the Cardassians. The only evidence he's got is circumstantial; the cardiassian's research outposts are in strategic spots and they have a lot of supply ships with sensor blocking fields on them.

Any way I though the silliest part of the episode was not Picard letting the cardassians off scot free. (thereby not starting a war right there and then) It was Picard letting Maxwell going back to his ship and just asking him for scout's Starfleet Honour not to go and kill some more cardies.

Still its backstory for O'Brien! Every one loves lieutenant Chief O'Brien

adr-admin
Site Admin

#356 Post by adr-admin »

It might be silly, but I think it's understandable loyalty stuffs.

They are a big, happy fleet!

uraniun235

#357 Post by uraniun235 »

I can also see it being a prestige/PR thing for Starfleet. Remember how in TOS they were going to let Kirk slide into a desk job for committing negligent homicide/murder against Finney because they didn't want a black mark on their elite clique of starship captains? I could see Picard basically thinking "seriously, don't make me relieve a captain of his command, this never happens and would be enormously embarrassing for us."

Stofsk

#358 Post by Stofsk »

picard's also a giant softie too

Veef

#359 Post by Veef »

i don't like it when people bring up the mirror universe all the time cuz i think it's lame

Aaron
El Duderino

#360 Post by Aaron »

Look, if you don't treat an episode clearly written so the actors wouldn't have to play the same character all the time 100% seriously, then your a horrible person and no trek fan.

Veef

#361 Post by Veef »

yeah i dunno

i was never big on that episode

i don't like how the concept bled into every other nerd thing because nerds are lazy

Aaron
El Duderino

#362 Post by Aaron »

As a one off it was fine but it just became a joke with DS9.

I prefer the Tribble one

Sandman

#363 Post by Sandman »

The concept actually predates Trek by a number of years. I think DC Comics did it earlier with their antimatter universe, with Ultraman and Owlman and the like.

Veef

#364 Post by Veef »

Sandman wrote:The concept actually predates Trek by a number of years. I think DC Comics did it earlier with their antimatter universe, with Ultraman and Owlman and the like.

adr-admin
Site Admin

#365 Post by adr-admin »

it literally became a joke in ds9

the actors (looked like) they had a lot of fun playing the evil parts

Stofsk

#366 Post by Stofsk »

mirror mirror was one of the highlights of TOS season two

so naturally when DS9 came along they borked up the entire concept

i'm sure nerds will go 'but DS9 is the best trek show ever'

RedImperator

#367 Post by RedImperator »

I think the first DS9 Mirror episode was a serious attempt at the concept. The rest probably happened because the writers and actors discovered over the top villany is really fun to do.

adr-admin
Site Admin

#368 Post by adr-admin »

ds9 is one of the 4 best trek shows ever

Crazedwraith

#369 Post by Crazedwraith »

Weren't DS9's mirror episode just 'i want to be writing star wars for a change' episodes? the PLUCKY TERRAN REBELLION has struck its first blow against the EVIL ALLIANCE.

adr-admin
Site Admin

#370 Post by adr-admin »

And an excuse for the male writers to put up their fantasies of Kira/Kira and Kira/Dax.

Stofsk

#371 Post by Stofsk »

adr wrote:ds9 is one of the 4 best trek shows ever
:v
Crazedwraith wrote:Weren't DS9's mirror episode just 'i want to be writing star wars for a change' episodes? the PLUCKY TERRAN REBELLION has struck its first blow against the EVIL ALLIANCE.
tbh i actually liked that about those episodes

'Through the Looking Glass' and 'Shattered Mirror' were really cool in that way. Plus the latter also featured Jake in a more substantive role. I think it just lost me after that though. I can't remember what season seven's did (i prolly didn't watch it lol) but season six's had Vedek Barile come back as a scoundrel, and all I remember was that the episode was BOOOOOORRRRRRRRINNNNNNNGGG

Crazedwraith

#372 Post by Crazedwraith »

Season 7 was a ferengi episode. Quark and Rom steal Martok's cloak to give it lesbian Ezri in the mirror universe. Because the mirror universe have no cloaks. Pay no attention to the decloaking Vor'cha's in 'Crossover' they no longer matter.

Stofsk

#373 Post by Stofsk »

Crazedwraith wrote:Season 7 was a ferengi episode. Quark and Rom steal Martok's cloak to give it lesbian Ezri in the mirror universe. Because the mirror universe have no cloaks. Pay no attention to the decloaking Vor'cha's in 'Crossover' they no longer matter.
lolwhut

haha see this is what i'm talking about when i said that ds9 borked it up

at least the earlier episodes were entertaining

RogueIce
#YOLO

#374 Post by RogueIce »

"In a Mirror, Darkly" parts 1 and 2 were the best two episodes Enterprise ever did.

Ohma

#375 Post by Ohma »

Stofsk wrote:'Through the Looking Glass' and 'Shattered Mirror' were really cool in that way. Plus the latter also featured Jake in a more substantive role. I think it just lost me after that though. I can't remember what season seven's did (i prolly didn't watch it lol) but season six's had Vedek Barile come back as a scoundrel, and all I remember was that the episode was BOOOOOORRRRRRRRINNNNNNNGGG
oh man

when we watched that episode and barile teleportled in and everyone in the command room were all 'OMG IT'S HIM!' we were like 'uh...should we recognize that guy?'

that is how boring that character is

also right now that episode where the wormhole aliens are putting ben in an allegory set in the 40s is on and it's not fucking terrible! the aliens should have just always been doing shit like that instead of being all "lol what's time? :V "