Godammed SDN

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Aaron
El Duderino

Re: Godammed SDN

#4801 Post by Aaron »

Well to be honest, I don't care if some guy decides to beat on people with a flashlight that has a plastic stick in the end of it or not, random assaults happen dozens of times a day.

Civil War Man

#4802 Post by Civil War Man »

Aaron wrote:Anyways, America appears to have a massive problem with its police exceeding there authority and abusing the populace. 20+ years of "the war on drugs" and the increasing military nature of there police come home to roost.
Pretty much this, though it's pretty generous to say it only goes as far back as the War on Drugs. In theory, we follow the common "innocent until proven guilty" mantra, but in practice it's more of a "if you are innocent, why have you been accused?"

This is the same country that used fire hoses and attack dogs on peaceful protesters well before the War on Drugs started. Where accusations of being gay and/or communist could get you blacklisted from working in Hollywood. Where hired thugs were called in to violently break up strikes. Where IWW members could be found dead under suspicious circumstances and have their deaths ruled as suicides.

We also have a history of treating released convicts like shit. Being a convict pretty much disqualifies you from most jobs. Which, to be fair, is not entirely the fault of employers, since it is perfectly understandable why they wouldn't want a convicted felon for certain jobs (like hiring an embezzler to handle accounts receivable, or a convicted child molester to be a school bus driver). But it doesn't help our recidivism rate at all when someone gets out of prison and can't find work because of the social stigma and employment gap.

Hell, I live in one of the most liberal states in the US, and our last governor vetoed a bill that overturned a rule that made the mere accusation of a parole violation enough to send someone back to jail, regardless of whether they actually violated their parole or not.

Stofsk

#4803 Post by Stofsk »

Civil War Man wrote:Hell, I live in one of the most liberal states in the US, and our last governor vetoed a bill that overturned a rule that made the mere accusation of a parole violation enough to send someone back to jail, regardless of whether they actually violated their parole or not.
lolwhut

uraniun235

#4804 Post by uraniun235 »

Where IWW members could be found dead under suspicious circumstances and have their deaths ruled as suicides.
One such "suicide" was a man found hung from a bridge who had been savagely beaten and shot several times. Can't remember if there was any genital mutilation or not.

Stofsk

#4805 Post by Stofsk »

what's an IWW member

Zod
perkele

#4806 Post by Zod »

Aaron wrote:Well to be honest, I don't care if some guy decides to beat on people with a flashlight that has a plastic stick in the end of it or not, random assaults happen dozens of times a day.
i was just thinking it coulda been someone from teo

i mean hypothetically speaking

uraniun235

#4807 Post by uraniun235 »

Stofsk wrote:what's an IWW member
Industrial Workers of the World

Civil War Man

#4808 Post by Civil War Man »

Stofsk wrote:
Civil War Man wrote:Hell, I live in one of the most liberal states in the US, and our last governor vetoed a bill that overturned a rule that made the mere accusation of a parole violation enough to send someone back to jail, regardless of whether they actually violated their parole or not.
lolwhut
To be fair, the governor was an asshole and everyone hated him. It was also during a brief "veto everything" phase he went through. The one he really caught shit for was vetoing a bill that explicitly gave gay couples the same hospital visitation rights as married straight people.

Aaron
El Duderino

#4809 Post by Aaron »

Civil War Man wrote:
Aaron wrote:Anyways, America appears to have a massive problem with its police exceeding there authority and abusing the populace. 20+ years of "the war on drugs" and the increasing military nature of there police come home to roost.
Pretty much this, though it's pretty generous to say it only goes as far back as the War on Drugs. In theory, we follow the common "innocent until proven guilty" mantra, but in practice it's more of a "if you are innocent, why have you been accused?"

This is the same country that used fire hoses and attack dogs on peaceful protesters well before the War on Drugs started. Where accusations of being gay and/or communist could get you blacklisted from working in Hollywood. Where hired thugs were called in to violently break up strikes. Where IWW members could be found dead under suspicious circumstances and have their deaths ruled as suicides.

We also have a history of treating released convicts like shit. Being a convict pretty much disqualifies you from most jobs. Which, to be fair, is not entirely the fault of employers, since it is perfectly understandable why they wouldn't want a convicted felon for certain jobs (like hiring an embezzler to handle accounts receivable, or a convicted child molester to be a school bus driver). But it doesn't help our recidivism rate at all when someone gets out of prison and can't find work because of the social stigma and employment gap.

Hell, I live in one of the most liberal states in the US, and our last governor vetoed a bill that overturned a rule that made the mere accusation of a parole violation enough to send someone back to jail, regardless of whether they actually violated their parole or not.
What gets me is that convicts are barred from voting.

Oxymoron

#4810 Post by Oxymoron »

[Motherfucking Space Nazies]

Oh my... :3 Some people just randomly pressed almost all of Thanas' berserk buttons at once. Shit is going to get real. :oinkoink:
No.

Aaron
El Duderino

#4811 Post by Aaron »

Fuck him, it'll probably be funny as hell.

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#4812 Post by starku »

nazi aluminum productionw as insufficient to produce advanced turbines

therefore

MOVIE SUCKS AUTOMATICALLY

qed child

Aaron
El Duderino

#4813 Post by Aaron »

Don't bring the intellectual crucibles dogma into this.

Oxymoron

#4814 Post by Oxymoron »

Without having to go there, it's kinda sad how quick Thanas is to get offended anytime the Nazi are brought into a discussion regardless of the context.
No.

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#4815 Post by starku »

well he's one of those people who is often unabel to divroce technical accuracy from artistic merit

Oxymoron

#4816 Post by Oxymoron »

When you study history for a living, some things tend to stick up on you, I guess.
No.

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#4817 Post by starku »

i dunno stuff like that used to annoy me

but these days unless its actually trying to be accurate and failing, who even cares

Oxymoron

#4818 Post by Oxymoron »

I agree. Maybe deep down he just a man of passion deeply angered to see the subject of his love casually butchered every time he go watch a movie ? *shrug*

Edit : or maybe as a teacher he is annoyed of all the laymen whose only exposure to History comes from the movies and other popular medias who get the Facts all wrongs and mangled. I dunno.
No.

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#4819 Post by starku »

its not just history stuff though

i just think its really easy for him to be pushed out of the drama and dismiss it

Oxymoron

#4820 Post by Oxymoron »

So like his Suspension of Disbelief

has a hair-trigger

Is what you mean, yes ?

I know people like that. Scientists, in fact. The husband of one my sister, we watched Indy and Crystal Skool. He bitcheeeeed during the fridge scene.
No.

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#4821 Post by starku »

i guess? i used to be the same; as soon as i saw some element (or what i perceived) i decided it was crap and pretty much ignored the rest of whatever it was

i think i only discovered art like, last year :V

Veef

#4822 Post by Veef »

maybe they shouldn't have a humorless git as a moderator

Zod
perkele

#4823 Post by Zod »

Oxymoron wrote:So like his Suspension of Disbelief

has a hair-trigger

Is what you mean, yes ?

I know people like that. Scientists, in fact. The husband of one my sister, we watched Indy and Crystal Skool. He bitcheeeeed during the fridge scene.
people at work were bitching about the fridge scene in indy 4 the other day

it was kind of an lol

Veef

#4824 Post by Veef »

because it's pretty dumb

even for Indy

why not just have him ride the rocket sled to safety instead

Oxymoron

#4825 Post by Oxymoron »

I must confess I remember almost nothing from this movie - which just goes to show how much it was "memorable"...
No.