Re: Godammed SDN

#5351 Post by Oxymoron »

"What is going on there ?"
"Why aren't we doing anything yet ?"
"Who's the bad guy already ?"
"Why are we still there ?"
"Why did we go there in the first place ?"

Consistency and memory.
Two qualities a lot of people sorely lack.
No.

Aaron
El Duderino

#5352 Post by Aaron »

Would be nice if the major intelligence agencies were either not incompetent or outright lying.

Zod
perkele

#5353 Post by Zod »

Aaron wrote:Would be nice if the major intelligence agencies were either not incompetent or outright lying.
in some cases both at the same time :v

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#5354 Post by starku »

If decision makers already want to do a thing
And there is 'moral' stuff going on to justify that action
Often the situation is not examined very closely

Confirmation bias lol

Aaron
El Duderino

#5355 Post by Aaron »

Where does Iraq fit into this whole thing?

Zod
perkele

#5356 Post by Zod »

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#5357 Post by starku »

Aaron wrote:Where does Iraq fit into this whole thing?
Didn't decision makers outright lie in order to create a moral justification for their desired plan

Aaron
El Duderino

#5358 Post by Aaron »

starku wrote:
Didn't decision makers outright lie in order to create a moral justification for their desired plan
Definitely.

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#5359 Post by starku »

Remember when you could look at Colin Powell without sneering in derison? I do

Oxymoron

#5360 Post by Oxymoron »

Bushe isa petty col guy. Kill sadam and dosnt afraid of anuthng.
No.

Aaron
El Duderino

#5361 Post by Aaron »

starku wrote:Remember when you could look at Colin Powell without sneering in derison? I do
Yeah. Pretty sure thats why he quit.

weemadando

#5362 Post by weemadando »

starku wrote:
You say "lie" I say "restructured entire intelligence gathering, analysis and reporting regimes to be under their control so that only 'supporting' evidence would be found and forwarded up the chain to provide justification for a war which would be profiteered unlike any in recent memory by those who started it and squandered their opportunity to put a rapid end to the 'war on terror' by actually completing the rolling up and captures of the AQ network and hierarchy in Afghanistan."

Metatwaddle

#5363 Post by Metatwaddle »

oh, metatwaddle, why do you try
i'm a crazy dreamer i guess

i was mostly trying to head off an alyrium meltdown. he tends to suck up all the air in the room, and that thread is exactly the sort of topic he posts in. i'm assuming eulogy will go away if i ignore him

there might be hope for some n&p threads anyway. d.turtle locked that shitty elfdart thread about syria/russia/china. hope he'll be a good mod, he seems pretty okay from what i see

Questor

#5364 Post by Questor »

What thread?

Edit: found it.

How is that going to head it off? I don't think he's going to read past the thread title before he cooks off.

RedImperator

#5365 Post by RedImperator »

I have taken a personal interest in that thread. I will make them not shit it up.

Nietzslime
Give these people air!

#5366 Post by Nietzslime »

RedImperator wrote:I have taken a personal interest in that thread. I will make them not shit it up.
haha

as an aside, i've always found there to be something unquantifiably sad about jme2's posts

perhaps because it seems like his only contact with the world is through the obsessive devouring of shitty pop culture
Europe: Genocide-free since at least 1996.

Darth Fanboy
has no method to his madness.

#5367 Post by Darth Fanboy »

Stofsk wrote: Darth Fanboy is more into a values argument: somethings are just wrong and we should intervene to put a stop to it. If people are getting raped and murdered wholesale, then those things are bad and intervening to put a stop to it is good. If Gaddafi is a terrible human being then he should be removed from any position where he can cause suffering. The problem with this is the whole 'unintended consequences' thing, where bad things can result from trying to do a good thing like putting a stop to tyranny. I'm not saying this applies in this particular situation, but as a hypothetical example let's go with 'what if you depose one dictator, which only enables a bigger set of assholes to take over?'

edit apologies in advance if i am simplifying people's arguments too much, or if i have misinterpreted people's positions
Apology accepted as I completely and utterly qualified my statements with the fact that while it is natural to want to help, and morally justifiable to help people, that the morality does not override the need to do so responsibly and that the US was too quick to use military force as a means to intervene when peaceful measures that did not involve blowing up innocent people. But sitting by and doing nothing, nothing at all? I do not find that to be a good position to take, if there is a constructive way to help people, then it should be done.

Basically since I agree with him about the need for innocent people not to die in imporerly conducted bombing campaigns, Stark has decided to troll me.

Darth Fanboy

#5368 Post by Darth Fanboy »

Zod wrote: let's use an analogy :v

suppose you hear a woman screaming in an alleyway and rush in to beat up the man standing next to her without considering your surroundings

if she was being assaulted, then congratulations, you're her hero

if she was just being surprised by her boyfriend, then congratulations, you're going to jail for assault

but you don't know which situation is the case when you rush in until it's too late
But you at least go to look or if it sounds bad enough call a cop right? You don't just turn your head and keep going and pretend like nothing happened?

Zod
perkele

#5369 Post by Zod »

from my take on the article it seems like the problem isn't so much that she wanted to refuse certain types of clients, but that she would refuse them only if they started asking her for advice she didn't approve of. ie - i'mma give you counseling if it means you want to stop being homosexual, but i won't affirm your sin

it seems like it would be like a male counselor saying he'd counsel rape victims as long as he didn't have to agree that what their attacker did was wrong :v

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#5370 Post by starku »

Darth Fanboy wrote:

suppose you hear a woman screaming in an alleyway and rush in to beat up the man standing next to her without considering your surroundings

if she was just being surprised by her boyfriend, then congratulations, you're going to jail for assault

but you don't know which situation is the case when you rush in until it's too late
But you at least go to look or if it sounds bad enough call a cop right? You don't just turn your head and keep going and pretend like nothing happened?
Ps all the people you give money to on the street spendit on booze

Sorry dude

Zod
perkele

#5371 Post by Zod »

Darth Fanboy wrote:

going to look sounds like a great way to get the attacker to chase after me

and if it sounds bad but i don't witness it, what would i tell the police? they'd probably fine me for wasting their time

i am not batman :v

Darth Fanboy

#5372 Post by Darth Fanboy »

starku wrote: Ps all the people you give money to on the street spendit on booze

Sorry dude
I don't care what they spend it on so long as they don't neglect the balls.

Darth Fanboy

#5373 Post by Darth Fanboy »

Zod wrote: going to look sounds like a great way to get the attacker to chase after me

and if it sounds bad but i don't witness it, what would i tell the police? they'd probably fine me for wasting their time

i am not batman :v
Excellent.

General Zod
Harvey Dent
Bruce Wayne

Questor

#5374 Post by Questor »

Pst... Its Harvey Dent!

adr-admin
Site Admin