Godammed SDN

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Oxymoron

Re: Godammed SDN

#6126 Post by Oxymoron »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Oxymoron wrote: PS : funny how many mentions of "rule lawyering" there's in the rules, and how much the staff itself can be guilty of it...
*checks rules*

you mean that huge number of one mention
Huh ? Well, maybe. I didn't check back to count to be honest. I had read them only one time, but what I understood of it, in context, was "So we have these rules, but don't try to appeal to them when a mod has got you by the balls 'cuz it's gonna pisses us off more than anything else".
I may also have confused it with the number of time I've seen "rule lawyering" (or "arguing with mods") stated as a ban-able offense in parting shot.
I dunno, really...

TL;DR : I just love bitching about people's inconsistencies & hypocrisy, including my own.
No.

Crazedwraith

#6127 Post by Crazedwraith »

that's a fair interpretation of the rule.

i was just being pedantic about what the rules actually said, not the actual implementation of them.

continuing to argue against dw for any length is a well known bannable offense
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

Oxymoron

#6128 Post by Oxymoron »

Incoherent rambling ahoy :

I know at this point it's beating a dead horse, but really, I think one of SDN's biggest problem is the obsession people have with "winning" arguments, instead of simply exchanging ideas, like, you know, real people ?
But, honestly, it's really not that surprising, when your board has been born of Vs. debates based on gigatonz and canons and cannons, and it's populated by people with chronically low self-esteem with delusions of intellectual superiority trying to compensate on the Internet for their real lives shortcomings...
No.

adr-admin
Site Admin

#6129 Post by adr-admin »

here's something else that pisses me off

if a discussion meanders, it isnt' meandering

it is "so i see you didn't answer CONCESSION ACCEPTED"

similarly if you change your position and/or explore some other side

"BEFORE YOU SAID THIS ARE YOU LYING NOW OR WERE YOU LYING THEN?"

when you react that way

even if someone changes

they can't admit it

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#6130 Post by starku »

Discussion impossible about anything anyone 'important' hunks they know the answer to

Aaron
El Duderino

#6131 Post by Aaron »

Ender posted a list of things considerate debaters are supposed in an academic setting that I guess he got as part of his schooling, and it had stuff like "give your opponent the benefit of the doubt" and stuff. I wish he had posted it in a public forum because it was pretty funny to see the disconnect between academia and the Crucible.

Zod
perkele

#6132 Post by Zod »

Aaron wrote:Ender posted a list of things considerate debaters are supposed in an academic setting that I guess he got as part of his schooling, and it had stuff like "give your opponent the benefit of the doubt" and stuff. I wish he had posted it in a public forum because it was pretty funny to see the disconnect between academia and the Crucible rest of the internet.
fixed that for you

adr-admin
Site Admin

#6133 Post by adr-admin »

so here's a personal flaw of mine

i feel inadequate looking up other people's arguments b/c it makes me wonder if i'm really getting it well enough to argue it myself

whenever i talk about is and ought i have to wonder

did that come from my superior intellect?

or am i just repeating something i saw hume say once?

Oxymoron

#6134 Post by Oxymoron »

Who can claim he has ever had a 100% original thought nobody ever had before ? I know I can't.
No.

adr-admin
Site Admin

#6135 Post by adr-admin »

its ok if other people have had it

i love reinventing wheels that means i'm a philosopher myself just like all the greats

what i don't love is subconscious plagiarism. then i'm just some boring collection of other people's works. it doesn't take a great mind to repeat what someone else said

i guess i'm a little insecure and always in search of validation both from myself and from others

hey i just thought of a tng quote that rox from 11001001 in the first season

let me get the exact words from my script collection

wait a minute i can't find it in there

i'm sure this is the episode

well maybe its not in the script or maybe im wrong

but mr. data is making a composition of some sort, musical or painting. if could remember the details, even just a few exact words, i could probably find it in a computer search!!!!!! aaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhh

anyway data is making something and he questions if it is really "him" because each part of his performance can be traced back to someone's style he studied

picard retorts: did any of them make that unique blend of styles before?

data says no

picard says that's data's creativity showing, in how he blended the styles, even if each part was from his vast databank

i love tng

adr-admin
Site Admin

#6136 Post by adr-admin »

Indeed. This is why I mentioned queueing to the troll before he made it clear that he was just here to attack the "New Atheists" and not really to discuss secular morality at all.
oh my god i can't get over this

maybe if he poisons the well with enough personal attacks and appeals to motive his devotees won't realize he's completely full of shit and got called on it

Chadz

#6137 Post by Chadz »

See, I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of lolz because, in my old age, my attention span has dropped to such a degree that I can't be fucked to read five thousand word debates.

Or maybe I just don't give a shit about dumbass minutae (SP?)
"Nerds. Nerds never changes." - Oxymoron

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#6138 Post by Bakustra »

man i really fucking hate darkwing duck's outrageous classism and misanthropy so much

that i am tempted to respond with amateur psycho-socioanalysis

"you're so convinced that the working class are all functionally I'M A JUGGALO WOOP WOOP because you're rationalizing the great disparity between your compensation, lifestyle etc. and theirs by saying that it's because you deserve it because you're smarter than they are. you're not smart enough to take the next step and become an outright authoritarian, as is the logical conclusion of the majority of the electorate being too stupid to brush their teeth properly, though, so maybe you should re-evaluate your ideology."

wonder how many replies i could go before drake mallard banned me? 1? 2?
Chadz wrote:See, I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of lolz because, in my old age, my attention span has dropped to such a degree that I can't be fucked to read five thousand word debates.

Or maybe I just don't give a shit about dumbass minutae (SP?)
you're a healthier mang than i, chards

Bakustra

#6139 Post by Bakustra »

now imma vent by trolling the african origins of egypt thread with sociology! see you in a few!

Aaron
El Duderino

#6140 Post by Aaron »

He's in favour of iq tests to vote, so...seems he's already there.

Yet he thinks the system in starship troopers is dumb.

Chadz

#6141 Post by Chadz »

Aaron wrote:He's in favour of iq tests to vote, so...seems he's already there.

This.
"Nerds. Nerds never changes." - Oxymoron

Bakustra

#6142 Post by Bakustra »

Aaron wrote:He's in favour of iq tests to vote, so...seems he's already there.

its because soldiers are more likely to be working-class and thus I'M A JUGGALO WOOP WOOP and anyways he probably secretly (or not-so-secretly) hates soldiers- i know that a lot of people in his position in the USA are ambivalent to hostile towards the soldiers and military. basically, fuck darkwing duck.

adr-admin
Site Admin

#6143 Post by adr-admin »

linkz plz

Oxymoron

#6144 Post by Oxymoron »

You know, for a time I honestly argued that Heinlein's Starship Trooper system made sense and could be considered an improvement over today's system.

Then I took some "classes" on Fascism, Democracy, and the results segregation and restriction of political rights can have on a society.

Let's just say my opinions have changed...
No.

adr-admin
Site Admin

#6145 Post by adr-admin »

oh btw you might remember i mentioned a local news special reprot called THE INTERNET BRAIN

well in part 2 of their thing they said the internet might be addictive

using it like literally warps your brain so you feel empty without it

i might be an addict

now i've wondered before if i was ever addicted to something could i quit cold turkey?

i'm tempted to quit the internet

......maybe later i need it for work

oh god i might actually be addicted :(

Bakustra

#6146 Post by Bakustra »

adr wrote:linkz plz
my trolling, with bonus marxism to drive zentei to pump his ickle fists with rage: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... &start=450
Oxymoron wrote:You know, for a time I honestly argued that Heinlein's Starship Trooper system made sense and could be considered an improvement over today's system.

Then I took some "classes" on Fascism, Democracy, and the results segregation and restriction of political rights can have on a society.

Let's just say my opinions have changed...
this is a natural part of growing up

Oxymoron

#6147 Post by Oxymoron »

@ ADR, RE : Internet addiction :

I know when I travel in foreign lands without an internet connection (or even just a PC for that matter) I start feeling mild withdrawal symptoms if I haven't been able to connect for more than a few days. It generally start to be less severe as times goes by and I find other things to do (like reading books or interacting with other humans), but I know the first thing I always do when I get back home is to start the computer... :geek:
Kustra, BA wrote:this is a natural part of growing up
Like I said to Shroom, for me the only constant in life is Change.
No.

Bakustra

#6148 Post by Bakustra »

hey thanas, does it hurt to talk out of both sides of your mouth? was it difficult to get the surgery that gave you two faces?

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#6149 Post by starku »

adr wrote:
Indeed. This is why I mentioned queueing to the troll before he made it clear that he was just here to attack the "New Atheists" and not really to discuss secular morality at all.
oh my god i can't get over this

maybe if he poisons the well with enough personal attacks and appeals to motive his devotees won't realize he's completely full of shit and got called on it
people have personal styles

some people just never challenge theirs

adr-admin
Site Admin

#6150 Post by adr-admin »

LOLOLOLOLOL

idiots, will you never learn

appeal to motive is a fallacy