adr-admin
Site Admin

Re: Trek Thread

#452 Post by adr-admin »

RogueIce
#YOLO

#453 Post by RogueIce »

Picard is a smoooooth operator. No question.

Also, those dress uniforms were pretty snazzy. As long as they had pants, of course.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#454 Post by RogueIce »

While we're on the subject of Wesley:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CX8NsJn_KpM

Even his mother got in on it. Poor Wes.

Stofsk

#455 Post by Stofsk »

picard's such a boss

Zod
perkele

#456 Post by Zod »

adr-admin
Site Admin

#457 Post by adr-admin »

that annoys me because they have the facts backward

i think he even violated the directive in season 1

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#458 Post by starku »

the first casuality of bad jokes

is the truthsss

Zod
perkele

#459 Post by Zod »

adr wrote:that annoys me because they have the facts backward

i think he even violated the directive in season 1
he's never been charged with violating it, so it doesn't count

Dooey Jo

#460 Post by Dooey Jo »

was he charged with violating the doctor?
DracuLax - when even Death can't scare the shit out of you

RogueIce
#YOLO

#461 Post by RogueIce »

Dooey Jo wrote:was he charged with violating the doctor?
She never said no.

Dooey Jo

#462 Post by Dooey Jo »

it's not rape if you don't say no get paid
DracuLax - when even Death can't scare the shit out of you

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#463 Post by Phantasee »

@TNG_S8: Picard consoles a star with electromagnetic consciousness that's being consumed by a black hole. Worf claims his decorative sash is "armor".
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

timmy

#464 Post by timmy »

I want this very badly

That is some fine work
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

Zod
perkele

#465 Post by Zod »

timmy wrote:I want this very badly

That is some fine work
I need to convince my boss to buy this for the office.

Crazedwraith

#466 Post by Crazedwraith »

timmy wrote:I want this very badly

That is some fine work
it really is

damn if i had two thousand quid to spare....
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

Darth Tedious

#467 Post by Darth Tedious »

adr rox worship him or suffer large
and so forth, etc.
also STAR TREK

Crazedwraith

#468 Post by Crazedwraith »

woah. this off the first page. scandalous.

Anyway its just taken me several days to watch 'galaxy's child' on dvd. picard moralising about accidently killing a space whale - awesome. Geordi being social awkward and clueless about women - dammit i needs escapism here.

Crazedwraith

#469 Post by Crazedwraith »

Tears Of The Prophets

I've just got Season 7. So I watched this episode as a bit of prelude to starting that season. And i still find it a really quite weak episode. A good portion of it is the Worf/Jadzia plot, and is there just to twist the knife when she gets killed off.

And the episode is noticeably contrived towards this end. Why is the Defiant going to war without a science officer or doctor but with a random Bajoran officer tagging along? No reason except they need to be at the station to be killed off/save the symbiote.

The main plot starts what I feel was the excessive focus on Bajoran religion in the last season and again fees contrived. I was especially annoyed at Admiral Ross, suddenly deciding that Sisko has to be either a Captain or the Emissary and goes on at length about the great lee way he's given Sisko in the past. But now... he has to make a decision!

It's annoying because we haven't ever seen Ross make these allowances in previous episodes and its very 'on the nose' spelling out exactly what the episode is supposed to be about.

There are some good points, I guess. The eye-candy battle is ok. But the only scene I really love is Weyon and Damar talking about the pah-wraith.

W: "Pah-wraiths and Prophets?! All this talk of gods strikes me as nothing more than superstitious nonsense!"
D: "You believe that the Founders are gods, don't you?"
W: "That's different."
D: "In what way?"
W: "The Founders are gods."

Combs' delivery as ever sells the heck out of that line.

Stofsk

#470 Post by Stofsk »

Crazedwraith wrote:Tears Of The Prophets

I've just got Season 7. So I watched this episode as a bit of prelude to starting that season. And i still find it a really quite weak episode. A good portion of it is the Worf/Jadzia plot, and is there just to twist the knife when she gets killed off.

And the episode is noticeably contrived towards this end. Why is the Defiant going to war without a science officer or doctor but with a random Bajoran officer tagging along? No reason except they need to be at the station to be killed off/save the symbiote.
'Random bajoran officer tagging along'? Kira is Sisko's XO dude.

In any case I agree with you, it's contrived to put Jadiza off the station just in order to have her killed off in a fairly lame manner. I don't know who to blame more to be honest. While the writers were the ones who were ultimately responsible for the script and what took place onscreen, Terry Farrell did want to leave the show rather than renew her contract for one more year (and she left to go on a shitty sit-com. Worst. Decision. Ever).

In retrospect I think this episode is a good indicator for why I didn't much care for season seven. I always like Jadzia and her death always bugged me. But Sisko leaving the station to go to earth at the end, always made me go WTF? And a lot of the contrived stuff like you point out with Ross admonishing Sisko for his dilemma (you'd think he'd be more receptive to whatever the prophets had said to Sisko, after all, they only saved all their asses in 'Sacrifice of Angels') struck me as nonsensical. After all, why isn't Ross leading this fucking battle? Once again Sisko is being put in charge of leading a fleet in an invasion. He's just a fucking Captain. Why do you even have Admirals if they don't, y'know, fucking command fleets of ships in a battle?

But I liked the eyecandy battle quite a bit.
W: "Pah-wraiths and Prophets?! All this talk of gods strikes me as nothing more than superstitious nonsense!"
D: "You believe that the Founders are gods, don't you?"
W: "That's different."
D: "In what way?"
W: "The Founders are gods."

Combs' delivery as ever sells the heck out of that line.
Combs, and Casey Biggs, were really fucking good together. And yeah, I love that line too.

Veef

#471 Post by Veef »

so are they really doing Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan again for the next movie

Aaron
El Duderino

#472 Post by Aaron »

XO of the station, which is bajoran owned and largely manned by them.

She shouldn't really be on a SF gunboat as anything but an observer, especially as Bajor was supposed to be neutral.

Stofsk

#473 Post by Stofsk »

Look at best, the chain of command is fuzzy since she has given Worf orders plenty of times, meaning she outranks him.And she has commanded the Defiant before.

As for Bajor being neutral, that would certainly no longer be in effect once Starfleet recaptured the station. The real head-scratcher is what was Garak doing on the bridge of the Defiant.

Aaron
El Duderino

#474 Post by Aaron »

I think they had given up at that point. Didn't they have Ezria on the bridge as well at some point?

Crazedwraith

#475 Post by Crazedwraith »

Stofsk wrote:Look at best, the chain of command is fuzzy since she has given Worf orders plenty of times, meaning she outranks him.And she has commanded the Defiant before.

As for Bajor being neutral, that would certainly no longer be in effect once Starfleet recaptured the station. The real head-scratcher is what was Garak doing on the bridge of the Defiant.
They made it explicit in Apocalypse Rising that Kira was XO of the Station, Worf is XO of the Defiant. Though I'm sure lots of episodes muddied the issue. On the station Worf should defer to Kira, on the Defiant it probably should be the other way around but doesn't work out that way in this episode. In Starship Down, when Sisko is knocked out, Kira stays with him to give him first aid while Worf goes down to engineering to take command and was clearly next in command of the Defiant then. (and sort of sucking at it)

I'm right there with you on the Admiral issue. That never made any sense other than 'if somethings worth doing, it had better be done by a main character'

Amusingly Sisko's keen strategic insight amount to noticing one of the potential targets has a lot of less ships than anywhere else. Truely a feat no-one else could have managed.

I mostly blame the writers for Dax's lame departure. The door was wide open for them to almost anything. Memory Alpha mentions Farrell thought her character should die in Change Of Heart and if that was a possibility they have obviously had some to properly handle it. Not like it was a very last second re-write to the finale or anything.