Godammed SDN

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Aaron
El Duderino

Re: Godammed SDN

#8001 Post by Aaron »

Man, I should get a little .22lr semi for pointing. Even my 9mm is starting to get expensive to run.

Sigh, plinking.

I don't think it is. The pistols might be banned by name though. And yeah, the laws are designed to restrict based on length and such, so concealibility is bad. Though I can easily tuck my sub 2000 under my jacket or in a bag, unfold it and go to town in less then 30 seconds. Laws here make no sense. :wtc:

Zod
perkele

#8002 Post by Zod »

it's not like american laws are any better, where we classify assault weapons based on aesthetics and not functionality

Aaron
El Duderino

#8003 Post by Aaron »

It happens here too, depending which fucknugget at the rcmp lab does the investigation but at least we're free of the sbr shit.

And the long gun registry is dead.
:mario:

magic princess

#8004 Post by magic princess »

Russian Nagant 1895 revolvers. A matched set from the Izhevsk arsenal that were a wedding gift for me and my wife--they're not on the banned list and the barrel length is 114mm, 9mm longer than the legal minimum. If I get into any of the Canadian universities I applied for all the guns go into storage, of course, but if I were to stay there for a long time (I interviewed for a job in Yellowknife as a backup to not getting into grad school) I'd probably want to bring them up someday instead of leaving them sitting in a safe deposit box for all eternity. I imagine you definitely have to be a permanent resident for that, and possibly obtain dual citizenship first. Still, I just thought of it when we started talking so I decided to ask.

Aaron
El Duderino

#8005 Post by Aaron »

Oh those, yeah legal but restricted like all handguns. Requires a seperate license, if you move up and apply, let me know, I'll vouch for you as a refernce.

MARSTAR usually has that in stock iirc.

magic princess

#8006 Post by magic princess »

Aaron wrote:Oh those, yeah legal but restricted like all handguns. Requires a seperate license, if you move up and apply, let me know, I'll vouch for you as a refernce.

MARSTAR usually has that in stock iirc.

Thanks! That's pretty sweet, then, I'd hate to give those things up and they're beautiful to shoot, even if the trigger pull is a total bitch.

I figured a job (engineer at one of the diamond mines in the territories-- 2 wks on/2 off) up there would suck but, pay off my student debt in short order, buy the liveaboard yacht I've always wanted and save up the money for paying for grad school if I can't get a scholarship/TA position so that it pays for itself (my current effort). That and other things like the enormous expense that adopting will be for us. So it might suck for a decade but if you manage the money right you can put enough way to actually do things with your life. Otherwise I'm waiting on hearing back from McMaster and the UNB for nuclear engineering masters' programmes.

Aaron
El Duderino

#8007 Post by Aaron »

Live aboard yacht might not be feasible if your in the far north.

magic princess

#8008 Post by magic princess »

Aaron wrote:Live aboard yacht might not be feasible if your in the far north.
Heh, I don't plan to stay there in the long term. though amusingly the MacKenzie actually is navigable to the Great Slave lake and heavily used for barge traffic, but you'd have to haul it out in winter and insulation would be a nightmare, so, no. I meant to save up money for one for when I can finally quit the job.

Aaron
El Duderino

#8009 Post by Aaron »

Oh, makes more sense. Cause even here you have to haul your boats out, some people have some really cool manual elevators for it.

magic princess

#8010 Post by magic princess »

Yeah, I'd love to navigate the MacKenzie sometime in summer to the Great Slave Lake, just because I love the idea of taking a giant (say, 70 - 75 feet) classical wooden two-masted schooner on inland navigation trips up major rivers--the Yangtze, Ganga, Nile, Amazon, etc--but also for the naturalist experience of the arctic in summer, but it'd be no place for an honest yacht when the ice comes back.

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#8011 Post by Phantasee »

Hey Aaron, as someone way more informed and familiar with the whole issue than I am, how do you feel about the handgun registry? It's been around since the 20s or 30s but why are people less against it than the long-gun registry?

On the same topic, Danielle Smith, leader of the Wildrose Alliance, which hopes to beat my PCs in the election on the 23rd, is in favour of CCWs in Alberta. :psyduck:
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

Aaron
El Duderino

#8012 Post by Aaron »

I dunno man, it's got longevity on its side, I personally think it's bs and a lot of handgun shooters I talk to agree but the ATT and associated restrictions seem to be a bigger issue.

Honestly I can't come up with a reason to be against CCW anymore, especially with mandatory courses.

Zod
perkele

#8013 Post by Zod »

Civil War Man

#8014 Post by Civil War Man »

I figure less people are against a handgun registry because handguns are probably used more in violent crimes than long guns are.

Most of the time when you hear about a long gun being used in a crime it's the "crazy guy in a clock tower" kind of crime.

Probably also because there are more legit uses for long guns, since most hunters don't go shooting deer with a Colt Commander.

Aaron
El Duderino

#8015 Post by Aaron »

Yeah that's the usual reasons.

timmy

#8016 Post by timmy »

Civil War Man wrote:Most of the time when you hear about a long gun being used in a crime it's the "crazy guy in a clock tower" kind of crime.
STAY AWAY FROM THE CANS

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tcwz8-EfFYE

DIE MILKFACE
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

Akhlut

#8017 Post by Akhlut »

I'm thinking about posting in N&P about someone not getting shot, since that seems to be more newsworthy these days. :troll:

magic princess

#8018 Post by magic princess »

I don't see why it would be bad to issue CPLs (concealed pistol licenses--the more technically correct term) in Canada, as long as you guys maintain the no-brainer Common Law Duty to Retreat. It somehow worked for people armed with firearms since they were invented until 2005, after all, and even though I live in a stand-your-ground state, why would I refuse to try and avoid having to shoot someone by fleeing as best as I can before opening up? It may be legal here, but it's also immoral. The only exception to it should be if you encounter someone actively committing a violent felony on someone else--for example, if you find a rapist in a park raping someone and they advance on you, it's a no brainer you should be able to shoot them, since the person they were assaulting might be unable to run themselves. But that's a really rare and unlikely case.

Oxymoron

#8019 Post by Oxymoron »

[affirmation that people shouldn't have guns in the first place]

[talk about a a subject he know next to nothing about]

[suggesting correlation between gun culture and sexual malfunctions]
No.

Flagg

#8020 Post by Flagg »

Beowulf just attacked me for like no reason. I wonder if it's because I said people who use the term "ya'll" are ignorant...
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#8021 Post by starku »

Situations like that don't even work in the us

That guy who shot his busing contractor got ruledbecause he pulled his gun out
But obviously he did so because he knew if his son was in danger he might not be able to close in on time to protect him

It's pretty funny these insane 'kill whoever' laws exist but don't actually work in situations they should

The Spartan

#8022 Post by The Spartan »

Flagg wrote:Beowulf just attacked me for like no reason. I wonder if it's because I said people who use the term "ya'll" are ignorant...
Hi there! :fukyu:

thejester

#8023 Post by thejester »

I say y'all all the time

although I do wear flanny

ps was at this gig last night and fuck would-be country hipsters are the greatest

Veef

#8024 Post by Veef »

timmy wrote:
DIE MILKFACE
hey

you're not carnival personnel

magic princess

#8025 Post by magic princess »

starku wrote:Situations like that don't even work in the us

That guy who shot his busing contractor got ruledbecause he pulled his gun out
But obviously he did so because he knew if his son was in danger he might not be able to close in on time to protect him

It's pretty funny these insane 'kill whoever' laws exist but don't actually work in situations they should

That situation didn't work because he was black. Racism in the US and gun laws in the US are actually separate issues, even if they produce deadly results in combination.