Godammed SDN

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Civil War Man

Re: Godammed SDN

#8351 Post by Civil War Man »

Oxymoron wrote:Why does it seems that in real-world engineering, conceiving things in very conservative ways, taking minimums risks and making sure things will works in the most adverse condition is something every engineer should strive for

while in software engineering it's all shortcuts and custom "cook-book" solutions ?
Q: What does a programmer call poorly written code?

A: Job security

Oxymoron

#8352 Post by Oxymoron »

Civil War Man wrote:Q: What does a programmer call poorly written code?

Dat truth, it hurt.
No.

Zod
perkele

#8353 Post by Zod »

Civil War Man wrote:
Oxymoron wrote:Why does it seems that in real-world engineering, conceiving things in very conservative ways, taking minimums risks and making sure things will works in the most adverse condition is something every engineer should strive for

while in software engineering it's all shortcuts and custom "cook-book" solutions ?

A: Open Source.
Fixed that for you. :smug:

Aaron
El Duderino

#8354 Post by Aaron »

Jesus, gamer is a tool.

adr-admin
Site Admin

#8355 Post by adr-admin »

Civil War Man wrote:Q: What does a programmer call poorly written code?

hahha so one of my ongoing jobs is an hourly thing to fix bugs

last year i had like 88 hours for them fixing all kinds of bugs in their shitty app

and at they rate they pay that's a fair chunk of change

but so far this year i have.... i think 6, i'd have to check, but it isn't very much at all and the year is already 1/4 gone

it still trickles in which tells me i wasn't just like silently fired

but it is so slow i fear i might have already fixed all the big bugs :(

but its ok, eventually one of their clients will ask for a change

then we'll be back in bug city

timmy

#8356 Post by timmy »

Is that right

"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

phongn

#8357 Post by phongn »

Space Shuttle software development. This is a pretty special case, though (relatively fixed requirements, risk-adverse customer and virtually unlimited budget).
Oxymoron wrote:My mother, which has she said has worked on "IT Urbanism" [1] (she has been retired for 5 years, now), told me that lately the work methodology was to begin from test units, and going up from there : you know your inputs and the outputs you want, you build you block, you test it, you debug it, rinse and repeat until it's proven to work, and then you move to your next block. Extreme Programming it's called, I think. She said it had good results, in term of quality and speed-of-development.

She was working at France Telecom's R&D department, though, so it may not be a work methodology adapted to every corporations...
Core telecom code tends to be ultra-conservative since in most countries it is considered a necessary utility and heavily regulated.

Test-driven-development is not Extreme Programming though it is a component of it.

xon

#8358 Post by xon »

Wow, Xeriar is damn rather ignorant about the actual boot process linky. Once the kernel loads it's own drivers, they need to find the OS partition to keep loading bits and it doesn't use the BIOS unless it is absolutely needed. Which means how the BIOS presents a USB device to the bootloader really has fuck all todo with if an OS can boot off a random storage device via some arbitary protocal.

And why the fuck is he talking about partitions? The BIOS doesn't care, it just loads X bytes at 'Y' location on the boot device, and the OS bootrecord (to bit the BIOS calls) only needs to care in that it can address where it calls next (aka use offsets which can handle >2tb of diskspace).

Not going to bother posting on sd.net, because what the hell is the point?
phongn wrote:Test-driven-development is not Extreme Programming though it is a component of it.
Test-driven development is something I actually had a chance todo, but that requires knowing what the fucking inputs are and what the outputs need to be. :whine:
Civil War Man wrote:

A maintenance nightmare which is good for job security.

Veef

#8359 Post by Veef »

Hey Strak that CIWS quip in the g&c thread was for you my fellow robot driver

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#8360 Post by starku »

Oh don't worry I got it

I was too busy being astonished by people claiming xwing was like star wars beyond 'has xwings'

Veef

#8361 Post by Veef »

Gotta wonder how screwed obi would have been if Slave 1 used its light minute sensors to shoot more than one missile :v

Ps Shin Kudo figured out two missiles flying an F-14

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#8362 Post by starku »

if wedge had set his shields to double rear vader would have had to shoot him about 60 times :V

Aaron
El Duderino

#8363 Post by Aaron »

Look man, you get to attack the DS at Endor.

Veef

#8364 Post by Veef »

starku wrote:if wedge had set his shields to double rear vader would have had to shoot him about 60 times :V
Stabilize ur rear deflectors

phongn

#8365 Post by phongn »

xon wrote:Not going to bother posting on sd.net, because what the hell is the point?
Educate the peanut gallery reading it and not Xerier?
Test-driven development is something I actually had a chance todo, but that requires knowing what the fucking inputs are and what the outputs need to be. :whine:
Some of our inputs can use it - I want to force it there (also, much of our core analysis code is written by scientists who do not understand software engineering - not their fault but it can be annoying).

uraniun235

#8366 Post by uraniun235 »

xon wrote: Not going to bother posting on sd.net, because what the hell is the point?
i'll rattle their cage a bit ;)

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#8367 Post by Darksi4190 »

Veef wrote:Hey Strak that CIWS quip in the g&c thread was for you my fellow robot driver
I know you like gundam better than SW, but do you really have to take potshots at it in every thread you see? In vs debate threads it's just pointing out weaknesses, but no one even mentioned mecha at all.

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#8368 Post by starku »

its nothing to do with gundam dude

but a missile only fractionally faster than a missile chased them for ages and ages and ages and ages because they had no countermeaasures and that's FUNNY

they're in space they could have just rotated and shot it, lol

too bad they're trapped in ww2

i draw the line at korea george!

Darksi4190

#8369 Post by Darksi4190 »

Anakin actually does pull a 180 and shoot down missiles in both Clone Wars series, so I think it's just that Obi-Wan isn't that great of a pilot.

EDIT: But the basic jist of you guy's argument in that thread is correct. The XWing and TF games are fun, but the dogfighting really doesn't "feel" like Star Wars. Thematically, I think Alliance felt similar to the movies, but the mechanics of it didn't.

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#8370 Post by starku »

i think you mean

george isn't looking so the tv series can do that stuff
the agility in the movies is dogshit horrible

the agility in the cartoon is exciting amazing win

HMMMMM

i draw the line at exciting dogfights george

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#8371 Post by starku »

but man what i think it is with xwing is that people played it when they were 8 or whatever and there was nothing else

so they invested it with star wars

and now they still have that sense, but it's not because of the content of the game

Darksi4190

#8372 Post by Darksi4190 »

Nowadays when I want to do SW dogfighting I plug in my gamecube (or even my old N64) and play the more "arcade-ish" Rogue Squadron series.

Although the first game has some stupidly hard levels that nearly induced controller-hurling fits of rage.

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#8373 Post by starku »

its really funny that those games had way more zoom zoom pew pew than xwing

and seriosuly those tunnels in tie fighter make it clear you're moving at '80' a few tie-lengths a second at best

pretty sad really :V

Darksi4190

#8374 Post by Darksi4190 »

I never did any of the training ring missions. At least the combat missions have some excitement to them.

X-Wing Vs. Tie Fighter and X-Wing alliance are better in this regard because they don't have any of the really long and annoying "fly to this objective" missions like the first two. In X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, you start out right in the middle of the action, and in X-Wing Alliance you make one quick hyperjump to the combat zone, with the occasional bit of storyline exposition.

Veef

#8375 Post by Veef »

Darksi4190 wrote:
I know you like gundam better than SW, but do you really have to take potshots at it in every thread you see?
M.Bison: OF COURSE

the HAB used to descend on every mecha thread to be dicks but Star Wars got praised for best space army all the time by the same people :v

But seriously, I think stuff like AOTC shows that when you extend SW's very basic combat without thinking it just becomes silly. The ROTJ battle was cool from a technical standpoint but using CGI to make it longer and bigger shows the limitations of model work in a way that doesn't scale up at all.