Godammed SDN

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

Re: Godammed SDN

#701 Post by Bakustra »

Starglider believes that zoning laws are communism.
Harvey Birdman, Programmer-at-Law wrote:No, actually they are. Planning officials in the UK are drunk with power and truly believe that only buildings that fit their whims should be build. The basic rights to use land you own or construct a shelter for your family, present throughout human history, mean nothing to them. It really is just about what the local government wants, which is of course open to change through lobbying and outright bribery. It is probably the most communist part of UK government.
Yes, while planning laws are not the same as zoning laws, his basic objection of "You're telling me what I can and can't do with MY PROPERTY" applies to both of them. But again, he probably thinks LA or the Detroit Metro area are triumphs of the suburban spirit or some shit, judging by that.

Questor

#702 Post by Questor »

B-A-K-U-S-T-R-A wrote:Starglider believes that zoning laws are communism.
Harvey Birdman, Programmer-at-Law wrote:No, actually they are. Planning officials in the UK are drunk with power and truly believe that only buildings that fit their whims should be build. The basic rights to use land you own or construct a shelter for your family, present throughout human history, mean nothing to them. It really is just about what the local government wants, which is of course open to change through lobbying and outright bribery. It is probably the most communist part of UK government.
Yes, while planning laws are not the same as zoning laws, his basic objection of "You're telling me what I can and can't do with MY PROPERTY" applies to both of them. But again, he probably thinks LA or the Detroit Metro area are triumphs of the suburban spirit or some shit, judging by that.
Are you surprised? While I'm not entirely sure I understand this "greenbelt" law, it seems sensible to me. One only has to look at the US to see what expanding urban sprawl becomes.

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#703 Post by Bakustra »

Questor wrote:
Are you surprised? While I'm not entirely sure I understand this "greenbelt" law, it seems sensible to me. One only has to look at the US to see what expanding urban sprawl becomes.
I'm not surprised, but I thought it'd be a nice reminder of how ludicrous his opinions are. My guess is that they're entirely formed from his not having any experience with areas where zoning restrictions are limited, and then you get amazing stuff like Metro Detroit having an average population density of 423 people per km^2 while being the twelfth largest metro area in the US for population.

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#704 Post by starku »

Do you think he knows most forms of land aren't 'owned' in the sense you own your lawnmower y/n

uraniun235

#705 Post by uraniun235 »

B-A-K-U-S-T-R-A wrote:Starglider believes that zoning laws are communism.
he's either really angry or really out to troll in that thread. i asked him if he got burned in a land deal. i'm hoping we get a huge diatribe about how he or a buddy were gonna get fuckin' rich off of some sweet development deal and then got the rug pulled out from under them by mean ol' BIG GOV'T

Djinnkitty83

#706 Post by Djinnkitty83 »

Somehow the TPM thread got worse.

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#707 Post by starku »

You guys should just make a similar thread about something not star wars

See ow many pages of 'durr read the eu' and 'motives not important' before it gets locked

timmy

#708 Post by timmy »

starku wrote:Do you think he knows most forms of land aren't 'owned' in the sense you own your lawnmower y/n
There is a whole industry devoted to this notion and it's selling the ground out from underneath itself while screaming persecution.
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

Civil War Man

#709 Post by Civil War Man »

adr wrote:so i think mike wong is ronald reagon
"Wong!" said Lieutenant Ronaldus Maximus.

Dooey Jo

#710 Post by Dooey Jo »

i love the abortion thread in slam

"NO you retard there totally is a clear fucking line when it's okay and not okay and it's called sapience (as our lord and god lt. michael wong teaches)"

ps sapience may be a science fiction term with no scientific meaning and essentially means "wisdom" and pretty surely even young children don't possess it, unless you want "animals we kill for food" to also possess it

it's like the neutrino thread where some guy was like "look there may be simple answer: neutrinos may have complex mass"

ahahahahahaha yeah go tell the physicists because that's totally a real thing and not made up by saxton for the swtc
DracuLax - when even Death can't scare the shit out of you

adr-admin
Site Admin

#711 Post by adr-admin »

actually i'm pretty sure complex mass is "real" lol.

if you put weird ass shit into einstein equations you get weird ass shit back out

and i believe complex mass includes something in there with an ftl component

this annoys me btw, people taking weird ass shit into an equation and saying "there hard sci fi". you gotta start with the universe to end with the universe. garbage in garbage out.

Zod
perkele

#712 Post by Zod »

no no no it's entirely hard sci-fi

except this one element that's completely unrealistic and breaks physics as we know it

Dooey Jo

#713 Post by Dooey Jo »

adr wrote:actually i'm pretty sure complex mass is "real" lol.

if you put weird ass shit into einstein equations you get weird ass shit back out

and i believe complex mass includes something in there with an ftl component
thing is you might as well put "complex velocity" into the equations to make them spit out real numbers

hey that way you won't even break the lorentz transformations for everything else

"we're going twelve times the speed of light imaginary"

that's some erect sci fi for ya

adr-admin
Site Admin

#714 Post by adr-admin »

i prefer simple numbers tbh

Dooey Jo

#715 Post by Dooey Jo »

simple is for pussies

we only deal with elegance, ie. twenty equations, each fifty terms long

Zod
perkele

#716 Post by Zod »

Dooey Jo wrote:simple is for pussies

we only deal with elegance, ie. twenty equations, each fifty terms long
but simplicity is elegance

RedImperator

#717 Post by RedImperator »

Dooey Jo wrote:i love the abortion thread in slam

"NO you retard there totally is a clear fucking line when it's okay and not okay and it's called sapience (as our lord and god lt. michael wong teaches)"

ps sapience may be a science fiction term with no scientific meaning and essentially means "wisdom" and pretty surely even young children don't possess it, unless you want "animals we kill for food" to also possess it

it's like the neutrino thread where some guy was like "look there may be simple answer: neutrinos may have complex mass"

ahahahahahaha yeah go tell the physicists because that's totally a real thing and not made up by saxton for the swtc
Here's a fun challenge for Internet bioethecists: without resorting to special pleading, construct an internally consistent system of ethics which allows abortion, disallows infanticide, and allows slaughtering animals for food.

Zod
perkele

#718 Post by Zod »

classify children as beasts of burden and allow for child labor of unwanted infants, with government stipends going to the parents

just like how you aren't going to want to kill a donkey or a horse because that's a waste of labor

so infanticide isn't necessarily illegal but at the same time it isn't necessarily a preferred solution

but you would want to limit the amount of stipends you could receive so there's not as much incentive to become a baby factory

since food animals aren't beasts of burden, you're not wasting resources and it doesn't conflict with discouraging infanticide

Questor

#719 Post by Questor »

A long, long, time ago, I came up with a theory that I felt explained most of the plot holes in the OT and PT, as well as a lot of the bullshit of the EU:

Post-TPM, Yoda,Obi-wan and R2-D2, (and possibly Qui-gon) knew a whole heck of a lot more than they claimed too, and were utterly ruthless in their private war with Palpatine.

Kenobi deliberately sets up the events of AotC and RotS with regards to Anakin and Padme, and sends R2 along to make sure things go as planned.

Once Luke gets to dagobah, he's turned into a weapon, and deliberately set up to fall to the dark side, but in so doing, kill Anakin and Palpy and destroy all Jedi and Sith (This would also have been the intent with Anakin as well, it just didn't work.)

Luke somehow manages to harness anger without falling: Oops!

So now, Luke, having been trained on a completely WRONG version of Jedi training, and having zero reference to understand why he's so different than other force users tries to rebuild the Jedi in his own "knight errant" image.

This explains most of the differences between Luke's order and the one that came before.

Examples of ruthlessness that I use to make prequels make more sense:

30 year old senator does not fall madly in love with brain damaged teenager she initially treats as, at best a kid brother, at least not until Obi-Wan needs her too. Since Obi-Wan has little more experience in this area than Anakin, his efforts at manipulation turn said Senator into little more than a caricature of a teenage girl. Perhaps influenced by bad teenage romances Kenobi watches while crossing the galaxy in that little fighter (pure speculation that last part).

Kenobi deliberately does not search for Anakin's mother, just to damage him that much more.

Who the heck knows what Leia actually told R2, it was clear he was running his own agenda in ANH, using info only he had (where Kenobi was hiding). Leia certainly didn't make the connection from "I found your droids" to "I brought a great Jedi Master with me" until Luke says Kenobi's name.

R2 is able to effortlessly hack into imperial systems: he just logs in with Vader's password (In my mind, that's something obvious if you know Anakin, like "Padme".

R2 knows the whole story, But doesn't tell anyone for perverse reasons of his own.

This was a whole lot more thought out when I first posted it. Maybe someone can dig up the old posts in Dejagoogle.

Veef

#720 Post by Veef »

So how about them Space Thais

Zod
perkele

#721 Post by Zod »

VF5SS wrote:So how about them Space Thais
space thighs you say

Veef

#722 Post by Veef »

she hulk looks kind of small there

artemas

#723 Post by artemas »

shes glad you noticed

Djinnkitty83

#724 Post by Djinnkitty83 »

Elfdart wrote:Concession accepted.
Ah, I feel complete now.

Questor

#725 Post by Questor »

Djinnkitty83 wrote:
Elfdart wrote:Concession accepted.
Ah, I feel complete now.
I feel like I'm in high school.

Christ, how is it that they still haven't grown up?