so nerds and scifi franchises

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

Re: so nerds and scifi franchises

#226 Post by Phantasee »

Eh.

We don't get a lot of stuff on Netflix, though. The service is slowly expanding, but since they have to make all new deals with distributors etc and everybody realized how much money they could have made when they made the initial deals in the US, it's been slow going.

They are wising up though, the content providers: Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America, and the Hulk movies are all available as part of the run up to the Avengers movie coming out in theatres. Maybe that's just Marvel being clever, but who knows.

Lots of Bollywood films starting to be available, I noticed. Of course, tons of shitty documentaries, but those will license to anybody and everybody.

I bet even Zod will license his documentary to Netflix.
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

Oxymoron

#227 Post by Oxymoron »

Knubble tov wrote:I know. I just think it's balls! that we are getting the shaft.
Was that a dick joke ?
No.

Zod
perkele

#228 Post by Zod »

Phantasee wrote:Eh.

We don't get a lot of stuff on Netflix, though. The service is slowly expanding, but since they have to make all new deals with distributors etc and everybody realized how much money they could have made when they made the initial deals in the US, it's been slow going.

They are wising up though, the content providers: Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America, and the Hulk movies are all available as part of the run up to the Avengers movie coming out in theatres. Maybe that's just Marvel being clever, but who knows.

Lots of Bollywood films starting to be available, I noticed. Of course, tons of shitty documentaries, but those will license to anybody and everybody.

I bet even Zod will license his documentary to Netflix.
I'm thinking Vimeo and iTunes.

Agent Bert Macklin

#229 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Oxymoron wrote:
Knubble tov wrote:I know. I just think it's balls! that we are getting the shaft.
Was that a dick joke ?
Can it be both ways?

Zod
perkele

#230 Post by Zod »

Knubble tov wrote:
Oxymoron wrote:
Was that a dick joke ?
Can it be both ways?
If you're into that sort of thing.

Pieman

#231 Post by Pieman »

Questor wrote:I don't think Mike's server has enough space to cover this topic exhaustively.
What do you think overloaded the server last week?
Shroom Man 777 wrote:who is pieman anyway

curious minds
starku wrote:Seriously does it matter
If he's from sdn let's just forget everything he did there
Because where does he shithead poster end and the shithead board begin

Let's make a clean break usergroup
I don't disagree, but meh.

If asked, I don't think I'd disown any of the stuff I've said on Internet boards. Some of it was dumb or kind of a waste of time, but I don't feel like I've got anything to be ashamed of or bitter about.

I save my regrets for other stuff, I'm on a regret budget here.

Aaron
El Duderino

#232 Post by Aaron »

Do you use your real name? No?
Then who cares right?

Pieman

#233 Post by Pieman »

Not me, not much.

Although I kind of like being able to look back at stuff I said a while ago and not have to think "yeah, I was a total moron then."

Aaron
El Duderino

#234 Post by Aaron »

You could take it as you've grown as a person.

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#235 Post by starku »

Phantasee wrote:All ten seasons of SG-1 are on Netflix. Should I watch any of it?
When you run out of good shows, yeah

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#236 Post by Phantasee »

To the bottom of the list, then.

Someone wants me to watch Supernatural, says it's their favourite show ever. I'm going to watch it, because they're lending me every season on DVD, but would you recommend it?

Zod
perkele

#237 Post by Zod »

never seen it

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#238 Post by starku »

Phantasee wrote:To the bottom of the list, then.

Someone wants me to watch Supernatural, says it's their favourite show ever. I'm going to watch it, because they're lending me every season on DVD, but would you recommend it?
Do you like guys driving around in an old car doing dumb shit

I had to watch that show for months at a bar and it seemed pretty terrible unless you think the guys are hot (lots of people do)

Akhlut

#239 Post by Akhlut »

Pieman wrote:I don't disagree, but meh.

If asked, I don't think I'd disown any of the stuff I've said on Internet boards. Some of it was dumb or kind of a waste of time, but I don't feel like I've got anything to be ashamed of or bitter about.

I save my regrets for other stuff, I'm on a regret budget here.
Hey, it's Colefax. :v

(actually, I don't know or care who Pieman is)

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#240 Post by Phantasee »

starku wrote:
Phantasee wrote:To the bottom of the list, then.

Do you like guys driving around in an old car doing dumb shit

I had to watch that show for months at a bar and it seemed pretty terrible unless you think the guys are hot (lots of people do)
sigh

so it doesn't get any better than the pilot? because i sat through it once at her house

would you say it's actually terrible or just unremarkable? remembering i probably have a much higher tolerance for shit than you do

Agent Bert Macklin

#241 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Watch BSG.

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#242 Post by Phantasee »

i liked 33

and most of the first half of the first season

but it's not worth watching again

unless you mean the original series which is available for streaming on netflix in which case fuck you

that was terrible

evilsoup

#243 Post by evilsoup »

supernatural is OK tv for like the first two series, then the lame overarching plot thing kicks in
some episodes are actually pretty decent horror, if you like jump scares
and the finale episode has a neat flashback set to music bit
I'd definitely rate it lower than stargate though

Nietzslime
Give these people air!

#244 Post by Nietzslime »

supernatural has a lot of interesting and good things going for it

but a lot of it is just macho monster of the week stuff

and it's one of those shows that has three digits of episodes now and is still going and it didn't significantly improve in its late seasons

so it's a bigger time commitment with less payoff than a lot of shows

so i don't know if i can wholly recommend it

but if you're into the first few episodes, i can tell you that the mythology/arc of it doesn't jerk you around nearly as much as shows like lost or the x-files, and its recurring antagonists are refreshingly threatening, for tv, the cases of the week probably improve in quality in the seasons after the first one, and even when it gets too angsty it throws in fun theme episodes that get pretty weird and meta to keep your interest (eg, ground hog day episode, office space episode, 'trapped in tv-land' episode, Supernatural fan convention episode, etc)

if it seems up your alley after watching a few episodes, i'd say watch to the end of the 4th season (or obviously, wherever it starts to lose your interest)

better than stargate tho
Europe: Genocide-free since at least 1996.

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#245 Post by starku »

Why don't people just watch short shows
Instead of big name hype bullshit that goes nowhere (or somewhere they made up after four years)

Y'know there are shows that start and finish and you say 'neat' instead of 'it gets good ather three years and ep 178 is my favourite'

In short if having Netflix means you're just looking for hundreds of hours of filth to waste time maybe you should cancel it and do somthing else like talk about yourself and promote your personal brand

Agent Bert Macklin

#246 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Which short shows would you recommend, stark?

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#247 Post by starku »

Depends what you want

I mean I get the impression heaps of people like the life consuming hugeness of vast sprawling shows of LORE and GLACIAL ARCS and WRITERS SCRAMBLING FOR PLOTS you get after 10 years

UT I guess it depends what you mean by short
I like 6-12 ep shows because it doesn't seem like long enough to go off the rails or run out of ideas or get utterly full of yourself

Agent Bert Macklin

#248 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Well, I'm not aware of any science fiction shows that short. The comedies I like from Britain are about that length. Dramas don't appear to be that short either.

I think shows that have self contained seasons work the best. You don't have to put up with "watch the next season to learn more about x and y". They work well within their own structure. I know I'm beating a dead horse and people are probably tired of hearing it, but you could watch any season of The Sopranos and not be lost because of the way they are outlined.

What bugs me are the shows on ABC, Fox, NBC, TNT, etc that consist of 24 43 minute episodes. That's overkill and the potential for filler is amazingly high. Plus, the writers have so much shit to write about that they end up lost and have to bullshit their way through many things. The final season of LOST comes to mind when it's evident that the writers just gave up trying to adequately explain the island's mysteries. I'm a huge fan of the show and I will readily admit that they just did not give a shit and wrote themselves into a corner. In fact, I'm almost halfway through season two and I am remembering how they dealt with things in the end. It's laughable. If the seasons were short, the narrative would be tighter.

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#249 Post by starku »

Most non-western scifi shows re that length :v

Even self contained seasons end up with a huge mass of CODEX ENTRIES and inertia, I've never seen a show actually stay fresh beyond a few years, especially once everyone starts listening to the fanbase

At least shows like GOT have a pre-existing plot and maybe don't suffer the same 'make shit up as you go' problem other shows do

Agent Bert Macklin

#250 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Yeah, but writers doing adaptations add shit to make things intrusting and sometimes fail. GoT did that in season two with Daenerys. Christ, was her plot boring AND they butchered the character. A semi-strong character was reduced to a fucking whiny baby.

Hell, even season two is far inferior to the first due to the plot lines not connecting very well, characters disappearing for long stretches, not giving a shit about them, etc.

Just throw out non-western sci fi shows that you like, Stark. I'll do a little research.