#11626 Post by evilsoup »

hey what happened to the trollface smiley

Agent Bert Macklin

Re: Godammed SDN

#11627 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Losonti Tokash wrote:i had an ipod and was not impressed with ios

and when i bought a new phone a droid was $200 cheaper

so i've just had a way better experience with android than ios but oh well
My experience with an iPod also drove me away from an iPhone.

Einhander Sn0m4n

#11628 Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

evilsoup wrote:hey what happened to the trollface smiley
No idea what you're talking about mang Image

evilsoup

#11629 Post by evilsoup »

man
the amazing thor is pretty laughably terrible
there was just a bit of slow-mo where they'd obviously used a regular camera and sped it up in post
and the EPIC music

phongn

#11630 Post by phongn »

xon wrote:
Questor wrote:I'm sorry, I really don't get the nerd love for android. Is it because it claims to be open source?
Speaking of opensource, phpbb is such a a pile of shit it's amazing. Reading the dev forums is an great way to crush someone's hopes for humanity.
mysql_real_escape_string >:[
adr wrote:but but android is like LINUX IN YOuR HAND!!!!!11111111111!!!!!!!!!!1111111!!!111

or something
No man, that was the N900/N9, which is the future.
Losonti Tokash wrote:so i've just had a way better experience with android than ios but oh well
Knubble tov wrote:My experience with an iPod also drove me away from an iPhone.
srsly curious: what did you two not like about iOS (and what did you prefer on Android?)
Last edited by phongn on Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phongn

#11631 Post by phongn »

starku wrote:Man I've used a bunch of current android hardware
And android sucking is a huge bummer
Because the hardware is so good
It's sometimes very powerful but it's not always good (Pentile, non-IPS, insufficient onboard storage, worthless radio (Samsung, I'm looking at you)), etc. :(

Maybe one day a company will be as anal-retentive as Apple but for Android. Nokia looks like they'll do it for Windows Phone.

evilsoup

#11632 Post by evilsoup »

Really?
god-damn
I'm sort of thinking about maybe getting a smartphone sometime in the next few months (possibly)
does android actually suck or are you being hyperbolic?
being open-source, I'd have thought that the flaws could be modded away...but then really, the original product should be good enough that you don't need to...

so what are these things that annoy you?

weemadando

#11633 Post by weemadando »

I've got a Galaxy Note which I love because my phone is more regularly a mini tablet than a phone. And half the time I am using it as a phone I'll be on a headset talking to network diagnostics or Telstra or similar while crawling under desks or fiddling with patching.

I just can't stand the "need to have wired connection for updates" system. At least they're getting somewhere with fixing that.

Losonti Tokash

#11634 Post by Losonti Tokash »

@phong

froze a lot, there's a fair number of apps that cost money on ios but are free on android, i like the hardware buttons instead of just having the home button the iphone uses

pretty annoying that the next phone i'm looking into has the buttons rearranged which will fuck up my muscle memory but i'll live

Agent Bert Macklin

#11635 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

phongn wrote:It's sometimes very powerful but it's not always good (Pentile, non-IPS, insufficient onboard storage, worthless radio (Samsung, I'm looking at you)), etc. :(

Maybe one day a company will be as anal-retentive as Apple but for Android. Nokia looks like they'll do it for Windows Phone.
Many Android phones have expandable storage, so that complaint is odd. If you want a 32gb phone, pay out the ass for it instead of picking up the 16gb model and buying an inexpensive microsd card.

Losonti Tokash

#11636 Post by Losonti Tokash »

lol my phone has 100mb on onboard storage and an 8gb card

stone age i tell you

Agent Bert Macklin

#11637 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Damn dude. Which phone do you have?

Losonti Tokash

#11638 Post by Losonti Tokash »

the original droid

Zod
perkele

#11639 Post by Zod »

evilsoup wrote:Really?
god-damn
I'm sort of thinking about maybe getting a smartphone sometime in the next few months (possibly)
being open-source, I'd have thought that the flaws could be modded away...but then really, the original product should be good enough that you don't need to...

do you enjoy flashing roms to your handsets because your hardware manufacturer may never put out updates of the latest operating system for your handset even though they promised continued support aeons ago?

then android might be for you

evilsoup

#11640 Post by evilsoup »

well I run linux on my computer so

Zod
perkele

#11641 Post by Zod »

evilsoup wrote:well I run linux on my computer so
:colbert:

phongn

#11642 Post by phongn »

evilsoup wrote:I'm sort of thinking about maybe getting a smartphone sometime in the next few months (possibly)
Android 4.X fixes a lot of the stupid design decisions but there are still a lot of rough edges. Google also refuses to impose design order on app developers.
The problems of Android tend to be those that open-source software people are least qualified to fix (design, user-interaction, etc.).
See this post on TEO. I can think of more, too, but those are at the top of my head.
evilsoup wrote:well I run linux on my computer so
Since you enjoy pain, you'll get along with Android just fine.
starku wrote:When people say its like using a pc they're right

But that's not a good thing
It's like using a PC before hardware consolidated around a few targets!
And man the note is the funniest shit ever
Worse hardware than an s3 lol
Isn't the GNote an older phone than the GS3, though?

I thought that phone wouldn't sell well, though - it's so huge that it isn't really pocketable! I didn't think that like half the population carries purses, though. Oops. :failure:
Knubble tov wrote:Many Android phones have expandable storage, so that complaint is odd. If you want a 32gb phone, pay out the ass for it instead of picking up the 16gb model and buying an inexpensive microsd card.
Android is moving to an iOS-style unified storage model. But even then, my Nexus One barely has enough onboard space for apps, and install-to-SD doesn't work much of the time. I shouldn't have to do hacky third-party nonsense and partition my SD card just to run a few things (nevermind that microsd is slow as hell).
Losonti Tokash wrote:@phong

froze a lot, there's a fair number of apps that cost money on ios but are free on android, i like the hardware buttons instead of just having the home button the iphone uses

pretty annoying that the next phone i'm looking into has the buttons rearranged which will fuck up my muscle memory but i'll live
Oh man, the stupid "we'll rearrange the hardware buttons" thing? :argh: Android's moving to software buttons anyways, though. And no more fucking menu button!

Losonti Tokash

#11643 Post by Losonti Tokash »

dammit but i like the menu button since it doesn't take up my screen space

you fuckers with your ui design knowledge

phongn

#11644 Post by phongn »

Losonti Tokash wrote:dammit but i like the menu button since it doesn't take up my screen space

you fuckers with your ui design knowledge
The main problem with a menu button are incompetent app designers who hide important functionality in it (same reason MacOS didn't have a right-mouse-button or even arrow keys at first!) Taking it away forces app developers to put a bit more thought into design.

Plus, Android apps are supposed to have the action bar for that stuff, now.

Agent Bert Macklin

#11645 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Zod wrote: do you enjoy flashing roms to your handsets because your hardware manufacturer may never put out updates of the latest operating system for your handset even though they promised continued support aeons ago?

then android might be for you
I see that as the only really negative, in my book. It's fuckigg stupid. It will be highly unlikely that AT&T will release Jelly Bean for the Vivid. I am not rooting my phone, either.

Here's a quick vid of my basic usage. When I'm scrolling though Poweramp, you see that I hit the play button when trying to switch albums. It was hard to see because o the shitty point-and-shoot camera in my hand.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OG20R4iyjnY

Phongn, is the problem with the apps you describe because of the OS or the shitty developers?

weemadando

#11646 Post by weemadando »

starku wrote:When people say its like using a pc they're right

But that's not a good thing

And man the note is the funniest shit ever
Worse hardware than an s3 lol
Well it is just an upscaled S2, and was out about 6-9 months before the S3 soooo, it's shocking, I guess.

But I was coming from a Nexus One so it was a huge step up anyway.

Zod
perkele

#11647 Post by Zod »

Knubble tov wrote: Phongn, is the problem with the apps you describe because of the OS or the shitty developers?
It sounds like a combination. The developers can't be fucked to write apps that aren't ass and Google doesn't really give a shit about standards.

Questor

#11648 Post by Questor »

NEWSFLASH!!!!

American Police do not do riot/crowd control. Only the national guard does that! The whole Occupy protest beat-em ups was a false flag operation by ignorant Youro-commies!

Why do I click on N&P threads? They make me sad.

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 2&t=155627

evilsoup

#11649 Post by evilsoup »

he's just trying to find a reasonable explanation for why you lot send in the fucking army so often

and crowd control like the occupy stuff isn't a riot

Questor

#11650 Post by Questor »

evilsoup wrote:he's just trying to find a reasonable explanation for why you lot send in the fucking army so often

and crowd control like the occupy stuff isn't a riot
Please point out the last time the Regular Army got sent in to a riot, please? (Hint, it was about an hour north of me, and I'm pretty sure that was the Marines).

The National Guard and the Army aren't even remotely the same thing, even if the one can be used to supplement the other.