Godammed SDN

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Aaron
El Duderino

Re: Godammed SDN

#801 Post by Aaron »

Oh right, the duplicator! So why were TF droids still made on an assembly line?

Veef

#802 Post by Veef »

So Anakin can go through that level and get equipped with Metal Blade

Darth Fanboy
has no method to his madness.

#803 Post by Darth Fanboy »

Aaron wrote:Are they still going with "sw has better medical technology and replicators aren't that useful"?
Replicators hella useful, but I am on the side that Wars does have better medical technology.

Zod
perkele

#804 Post by Zod »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Aaron wrote:Are they still going with "sw has better medical technology and replicators aren't that useful"?
Replicators hella useful, but I am on the side that Wars does have better medical technology.
kinda hard to refute that with their cloning capabilities and cybernetics

where st has trouble fixing spines

Stofsk

#805 Post by Stofsk »

Why? What capabilities does SW medicine have over ST?

There's cloning in ST btw, and cybernetics.

Zod
perkele

#806 Post by Zod »

Stofsk wrote:Why? What capabilities does SW medicine have over ST?

There's cloning in ST btw, and cybernetics.
i don't remember any st cybernetics that seemed particularly advanced outside of the borg, who were slow and clunky

Stofsk

#807 Post by Stofsk »

Picard has a mechanical heart, Geordi got a pair of cybernetic eyes that had shit like zooming lenses IIRC First Contact well enough and didn't Nog also got a new leg after he lost one after a battle with the jem'hadar.

adr-admin
Site Admin

#808 Post by adr-admin »

captain picard is also a cyborg thx to his heart

and of course mr. data is an android

worf's spine was replaced

and nog had his limbs regrown so he didn't need clunky cyberware like the skywalkers

dr bashir also replaced a good chunk of vedek bariel's brain with a positronic net in one episode ("Life Support" DS9)

adr-admin
Site Admin

#809 Post by adr-admin »

stofsk: not even just the eyes - the dohickies on the side of his head where the visor connected were like a tap into his brain

that's some high tech shit

and they were removed in first contact, which is prolly also easier said than done

Zod
perkele

#810 Post by Zod »

Stofsk wrote:Picard has a mechanical heart, Geordi got a pair of cybernetic eyes that had shit like zooming lenses IIRC First Contact well enough and didn't Nog also got a new leg after he lost one after a battle with the jem'hadar.
well . . . the mechanical heart isn't terribly impressive

we've had those irl for decades

in sw you've got combat capable cyborgs that can go toe to toe with jedi like grievous

Stofsk

#811 Post by Stofsk »

Zod wrote:
Stofsk wrote:Picard has a mechanical heart, Geordi got a pair of cybernetic eyes that had shit like zooming lenses IIRC First Contact well enough and didn't Nog also got a new leg after he lost one after a battle with the jem'hadar.
well . . . the mechanical heart isn't terribly impressive

we've had those irl for decades
according to wiki today's artificial hearts are usually used as a stopgap measure to getting a full heart transplant

it also goes into how while the heart is a relatively simple organ, it is actually very complicated to duplicate the same processes using a synthetic design

picard's heart was a total replacement that gave him full functionality

Also it should be noted that the means in which Picard had to get that artificial heart is another area in which ST medicine benefits greatly - quick response times in emergency situations. When you can beam your patient directly to the hospital or the sickbay, you have to be able to save so many lives that you ordinarily wouldn't in situations where you don't have that instant transportation available.

@adr: yeah i know that geordi's visor is cybernetic in nature, it's just the ocular implants stood out to me on first thought

There was also an episode in the second season where Pulaski offered the chance for Geordi to undergo a procedure where his optic nerves would be repaired and new, cloned eyes would be replicated for him. The surgery wasn't guaranteed but it was certainly a possibility.
in sw you've got combat capable cyborgs that can go toe to toe with jedi like grievous
interestingly enough Grievous eventually died to a blaster shot, so maybe that's not really all that impressive :V

i'm just trollin

Zod
perkele

#812 Post by Zod »

you can kill the borg with a machete

where's your adaptation now?

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#813 Post by Bakustra »

Aaron wrote:Oh right, the duplicator! So why were TF droids still made on an assembly line?
Because duplicators were essentially super-copy machines in the books in which they actually appeared, and none of the people writing that bullshit have actually read them.

If we're talking medicine, then all we see SW-wise is a hypothermia/frostbite treatment, an artificial hand that's pretty good (though probably not quite as impressive as artificial eyes in relative capabilities), some vague additional cybernetics including a tiny iron lung, and a full-body cyborg with fucked-up biology.

Star Trek probably wins in that we actually see more of what's going on medical-wise and they could, at least, regenerate kidneys into full working order with pills back in the TOS era.

Zod
perkele

#814 Post by Zod »

B-A-K-U-S-T-R-A wrote:
Aaron wrote:Oh right, the duplicator! So why were TF droids still made on an assembly line?
Because duplicators were essentially super-copy machines in the books in which they actually appeared, and none of the people writing that bullshit have actually read them.

If we're talking medicine, then all we see SW-wise is a hypothermia/frostbite treatment, an artificial hand that's pretty good (though probably not quite as impressive as artificial eyes in relative capabilities), some vague additional cybernetics including a tiny iron lung, and a full-body cyborg with fucked-up biology.

Star Trek probably wins in that we actually see more of what's going on medical-wise and they could, at least, regenerate kidneys into full working order with pills back in the TOS era.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bacta

Stofsk

#815 Post by Stofsk »

Zod wrote:you can kill the borg with a machete

where's your adaptation now?
I actually think borg have already adapted to melee attacks by just being stronger than anyone thanks to those cybernetics. Bear in mind the first time we ever saw them, one borg drone shoved away one of Worf's security toughs and launched the guy several metres, and he was thrashing in pain while on the ground too which makes me think that 'shove' actually did damage rather than just be a simple shove.

Also in BOBW part 2 Locutus totally clobbered a goldshirt who went down in one hit.

People over on teo tend to undervalue the borg and to be fair, a large part of this does come from how the writers on Voyager made the borg into a joke. But saying stuff like 'well shit borg can't adapt to bullets' is pretty much unsupported, as is stuff like 'well just replicate swords or pikes'. A guy like Worf can get away with it because he's had training with it, but he's the exception. He's better than most klingons are at that shit. And yet if even one drone got his hands on him, he'd be finished, and there are way more drones than there are Worfs.

EDIT while we're talking about the borg, you mentioned above that they are slow and clunky

Not really - remember Descent? The borg there moved with speed, took cover behind walls and fired ranged weapons. They also had anatomical knowledge of at least two species and how to efficiently kill them in melee. I know these were borg that were no longer a part of the Collective, but that doesn't mean the Collective don't have these capabilities or have the same exact knowledge. It's just that the borg don't see a need to act superaggressively so they get around in slow, clunky movements. But that's a psychological thing. You can shoot borg only a handful of times before they figure out what funky TECH thing you've done to your phasers to bypass their shields, and then they adapt. You kill a handful of their drones, while they've just overrun your ship and borgified its crew. They can afford to be slow and clunky.
Last edited by Stofsk on Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bakustra

#816 Post by Bakustra »

Zod wrote:
B-A-K-U-S-T-R-A wrote:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bacta
I deny you and all your saucy EU ways, pervert.

uraniun235

#817 Post by uraniun235 »

i don't remember the exact line, but in BOBW when they've got Locutus, Beverly says something about how the Borg implants were infesting Picard's body, and that as soon as they could turn that shit off it would be "a simple matter" to go in and remove all the Borg shit from Picard's body

there was also a proposal that Picard had lost his hand when his right arm became Borgified, by making his right hand slightly lighter-shaded with makeup to suggest an artificial hand, but i think they decided to just drop that

Zod
perkele

#818 Post by Zod »

B-A-K-U-S-T-R-A wrote:
i think most of the eu is shit, but bacta's not exactly eu

at the very least i think the whole dark side force shroud should be ignored completely

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#819 Post by starku »

Dude seriously listen to yourself

If they cared they'd have scifi stun hands or poison or fear ultrasonics etc

But they don't

Borg are written by idiots and talking about how they may/may not be Kung fu ninjas is irrelevant

But then star trek is ass and yet here we are so meh

Bakustra

#820 Post by Bakustra »

Zod wrote:
B-A-K-U-S-T-R-A wrote:
i think most of the eu is shit, but bacta's not exactly eu

at the very least i think the whole dark side force shroud should be ignored completely
it's completely EU in being a magical recovery fluid rather than "here is something to treat cold exposure, hth" as it is in the movie, although it's been a while since i read the novelization

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#821 Post by starku »

Who even cares about the novel

Flotation tank !\ magic junk from worms

Aaron
El Duderino

#822 Post by Aaron »

I just assumed it was warm water.

adr-admin
Site Admin

#823 Post by adr-admin »

me too

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#824 Post by starku »

Aaron wrote:I just assumed it was warm water.
Why wouldn't you? He was a cold guy

Bakustra

#825 Post by Bakustra »

honestly, i think it's better that way:
After the reorganization of the Galactic Republic during the Clone Wars, the new Galactic Empire only allowed bacta to be produced on Thyferra, which was then stockpiled on Bespin.

At some point, Emperor Palpatine had the chemical sequence for bacta stored at his stronghold on Wayland with the possible intention being the development of a weapon designed to neutralize the properties of the compound. However, his scientists never developed a weapon and the sequence remained stored on Wayland. When the Yuuzhan Vong War gripped the galaxy, the Yuuzhan Vong conquered the planet Wayland where Shapers managed to analyze the bacta formula whereupon they created a virus that targeted the alazhi plant on a genetic level. This was in order to create a bio-weapon designed to kill anyone who was treated by bacta. However, their plans were thwarted by Klin-Fa Gi along with Uldir Lochett as well as his crew.[3]
bacta is simply too stupid to actually treat seriously

like, apparently you can drink it and it works just as well

it's called

bactade

fuck the EU