Godammed SDN

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Mr.Coffee

Re: Godammed SDN

#901 Post by Mr.Coffee »

Dooey Jo wrote:i didn't realise white trash were yet inbred enough to be considered their own race by americans rather than a socio-economic class
If it was purely socio-economic status then why bother with adding "white" to the trash? Seriously, Black stereotypes, Asian stereotypes, and Latino stereotype are all bad, but making fun of Guidos, Micks, Kruats, and generic Cracka stereotypes is somehow perfectly acceptable because (insert I'M A JUGGALO WOOP WOOP argument that basically amounts to how whites are supposedly immune to being the victims of racism here). It's a fucking I'M A JUGGALO WOOP WOOP double standard.

Dooey Jo

#902 Post by Dooey Jo »

Those all pertain to some ethnic minority, except maybe cracker, so I wonder how acceptable they really are. Clearly with "white trash", the "trash" is the important part, the "white" part probably having some historical origin. I'm sure lots of groups would be considered white trash if people weren't so obsessed with where their great-grandparents lived. And this is America, so you know poor people have no one to blame but themselves and possibly their jeans, and should be laughed at.

But anyway, turns out group relations is a pretty complicated matter, and what makes an acceptable stereotype doesn't adhere to simple logic. Obviously it is possible to be racist against any group, but if the advantaged majority demands not to be made fun of, it's going to be seen as a pretty dick move.
DracuLax - when even Death can't scare the shit out of you

Aaron
El Duderino

#903 Post by Aaron »

Cracker is pretty meaningless I think. There isn't hundreds of years of history of using it in conjunction with oppression, I just laugh at it.

Mr.Coffee

#904 Post by Mr.Coffee »

Dooey Jo wrote:Those all pertain to some ethnic minority, except maybe cracker, so I wonder how acceptable they really are. Clearly with "white trash", the "trash" is the important part, the "white" part probably having some historical origin. I'm sure lots of groups would be considered white trash if people weren't so obsessed with where their great-grandparents lived. And this is America, so you know poor people have no one to blame but themselves and possibly their jeans, and should be laughed at.
'Murica, fuck yeah...

Dooey Jo wrote:But anyway, turns out group relations is a pretty complicated matter, and what makes an acceptable stereotype doesn't adhere to simple logic. Obviously it is possible to be racist against any group, but if the advantaged majority demands not to be made fun of, it's going to be seen as a pretty dick move.
Comedy is pretty complicated and entirely dependent on context and the opinions of the person viewing it. If the ratings for the Chappelle Show and the fact that someone actually let Carlos Mencia's unfunny ass have his own show are any indication, the people who think stereotypes are funny are in the majority here.

Mr.Coffee

#905 Post by Mr.Coffee »

Aaron wrote:Cracker is pretty meaningless I think. There isn't hundreds of years of history of using it in conjunction with oppression, I just laugh at it.
I still have no idea where the hell cracka came from. Near as I've been able to figure out it either has something to do with slavery and whips or crackers being bland=white people are bland. Honestly, I think the lack of a genuinely offense slur for white people is pretty damn racist in itself. People simply don't give enough of a shit about making fun of white people to take the time to craft a quality slur for us.

Losonti Tokash

#906 Post by Losonti Tokash »

Nah, get outside of the US or other western countries and you'll start running into the wide variety of racial slurs against whites that are out there. :)

Civil War Man

#907 Post by Civil War Man »

Mr.Coffee wrote:
Aaron wrote:Cracker is pretty meaningless I think. There isn't hundreds of years of history of using it in conjunction with oppression, I just laugh at it.
I still have no idea where the hell cracka came from. Near as I've been able to figure out it either has something to do with slavery and whips or crackers being bland=white people are bland. Honestly, I think the lack of a genuinely offense slur for white people is pretty damn racist in itself. People simply don't give enough of a shit about making fun of white people to take the time to craft a quality slur for us.
I think the thing is, to echo Aaron, that white people have only ever really been oppressed by other white people. So there are some pretty offensive slurs for different types of white people, but not one for white people in general, and very few for white people that don't have a history of being oppressed like Germans or Anglo-Saxons.

Zod
perkele

#908 Post by Zod »

Civil War Man wrote:
Mr.Coffee wrote:
I think the thing is, to echo Aaron, that white people have only ever really been oppressed by other white people. So there are some pretty offensive slurs for different types of white people, but not one for white people in general, and very few for white people that don't have a history of being oppressed like Germans or Anglo-Saxons.
Depends on how far back in history you want to go since Germany had a history of being oppressed by Rome.

Also.
Anglo-Saxon is a term used by historians to designate the Germanic tribes who invaded the south and east of Great Britain beginning in the early 5th century AD
/nitpick

Questor

#909 Post by Questor »

Good god in heaven, Terralthra!

There's no Internet tryhards here on TEO!!!!111!1!1one1!! We'z the smartest board on the interwebz!

Losonti Tokash

#910 Post by Losonti Tokash »

Spacemarine alone should be a fucking goldmine.

Anyway, I was actually trying to help KS avoid accusations of racism, since those examples he posted tend to get pounced on over there. Poorly phrased.

Mr.Coffee

#911 Post by Mr.Coffee »

Yeah, anyone that seriously demands evidence for internet tough guy bullshit on SDN needs to hand their drugs over. Homeboy's done smoked himself I'M A JUGGALO WOOP WOOP.

And yeah, just quote Spacemarine and that Crateria nimrod or go back through N&P for and look through any threads dealing with torture and such. Fuck, if you go back through my early posting history you'll probably find an example of three.

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#912 Post by Bakustra »

Mr.Coffee wrote:
Dooey Jo wrote:i didn't realise white trash were yet inbred enough to be considered their own race by americans rather than a socio-economic class
If it was purely socio-economic status then why bother with adding "white" to the trash? Seriously, Black stereotypes, Asian stereotypes, and Latino stereotype are all bad, but making fun of Guidos, Micks, Kruats, and generic Cracka stereotypes is somehow perfectly acceptable because (insert I'M A JUGGALO WOOP WOOP argument that basically amounts to how whites are supposedly immune to being the victims of racism here). It's a fucking I'M A JUGGALO WOOP WOOP double standard.
anti-italian, -german, -polish, -greek, -spanish, and -irish stereotypes (you missed a couple lol) aren't really acceptable either, speaking as a real-life white dude, though i'm not sure that you can say that "poor white trash" is really an anti-white slur since it's tied into class more and was invented by whites. it's probably not really all that acceptable in the end either, but on the other hand, the majority of people that should be offended by it either aren't willing to speak up or are only offended when people suggest that racism against blacks, latinos, native americans, and asians might be worse problems than anti-white racism, which you translated to "whites are immune to being the victims of racism", possibly because we were all a little on edge last night/early this morning. also, coffee, we're mainly talking about the us and canada- anti-white racism is a problem in other parts of the world, though it's more marginal than anything else- white populations tend to either be marginal or hold power in the rest of the world and so systemic anti-white racism has a hard time taking hold.

Bakustra

#913 Post by Bakustra »

ps another lol at terraltha

Zod
perkele

#914 Post by Zod »

B-A-K-U-S-T-R-A wrote:ps another lol at terraltha
link?

Bakustra

#915 Post by Bakustra »

Zod wrote:
link?
uh, sorry, i was just seconding the previous lols

or thirding, rather

Zod
perkele

#916 Post by Zod »

B-A-K-U-S-T-R-A wrote:
Zod wrote:
link?
uh, sorry, i was just seconding the previous lols

or thirding, rather
neither of which have links :P

Bakustra

#917 Post by Bakustra »

Zod
perkele

#918 Post by Zod »

well he's always been kind of an idiot so i'm not surprised

Questor

#919 Post by Questor »

Losonti Tokash wrote:Spacemarine alone should be a fucking goldmine.

Anyway, I was actually trying to help KS avoid accusations of racism, since those examples he posted tend to get pounced on over there. Poorly phrased.
And then I thought you were being a jerk in my own sleep deprived way, because of all the people who tend to dogpile him.

It actually took me a while to come up with the clinic example, and that should have been easy, but I was too focused on the parallels with the Tea Party protests to actually think about an alternative one that wasn't racial/ethnic/religious.

Questor

#920 Post by Questor »

Mr.Coffee wrote:And yeah, just quote Spacemarine and that Crateria nimrod or go back through N&P for and look through any threads dealing with torture and such. Fuck, if you go back through my early posting history you'll probably find an example of three.
Space Marine and Crataria were actually the users I was thinking of, along with a few people who ran away before they got banned.

As for generalized political violence, I hate to single out our revolutionary communist, but it does go with the territory.

Zod
perkele

#921 Post by Zod »

Questor wrote:
Mr.Coffee wrote:And yeah, just quote Spacemarine and that Crateria nimrod or go back through N&P for and look through any threads dealing with torture and such. Fuck, if you go back through my early posting history you'll probably find an example of three.
Space Marine and Crataria were actually the users I was thinking of, along with a few people who ran away before they got banned.

As for generalized political violence, I hate to single out our revolutionary communist, but it does go with the territory.
I'm surprised nobody just pointed to Shep's profile. Or would that be too obvious?

Nietzslime
Give these people air!

#922 Post by Nietzslime »

So here's the basic problem with SDN and internet forums in general: I saw the thread in SLAM about free will and I was like 'huh, that's cool', since I've been studying me some philosophy of action recently, and I have a pretty good background in philosophy of mind.

So I started trying to pull together some interesting articles for a post, but popular essays are a bit too simplistic for my position, and academic essays will use a lot of jargon that will cause SDNers only familiar with internet and scientistic jargon to start gnashing their teeth and roaring, and either way I'd have to explain it better. Which is cool, until I realize that whatever I post, it will get up in the grill of the idiots who think that neuroscience can explain subjectivity and I'd have to go for pages and pages against them, they'd throw up at best basic arguments and at worst irrelevant arguments, and I would be unlikely to learn anything myself from the enterprise, and I wouldn't be entering into a Great Crusade so much as just swimming against the tide because I don't believe that the natural sciences are the correct toolset to solve every problem in existence. So halfway through writing the post I gave up because if I'm going to write something that involved, I could put it to better use writing my term paper for Hermeneutics, and Hermeneutics is continental as shit.

and like, if you want to know about the free will debate - why would you ask on sdn? why not find a more appropriate community?
Europe: Genocide-free since at least 1996.

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#923 Post by starku »

You have become starglider

You only have to post a hand-drawn picture that doesn't address the issue and then be smug to win :)

Zod
perkele

#924 Post by Zod »

starku wrote:You have become starglider

You only have to post a hand-drawn picture that doesn't address the issue and then be smug to win :)
he hasn't spent $15k on a needlessly expensive computer yet

Nietzslime
Give these people air!

#925 Post by Nietzslime »

i am the ivory tower :ugeek:
Europe: Genocide-free since at least 1996.