Testing Chat Thread

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Aaron
El Duderino

Re: Testing Chat Thread

#876 Post by Aaron »

They pushed it up 2 years here. Which I totally think is bullshit but I'm already retired.

Zod
perkele

#877 Post by Zod »

Frankly I'll be lucky to ever have a job with pensions. And my family? Lol no thanks.

Aaron
El Duderino

#878 Post by Aaron »

Does the us not have a national pension plan?

adr-admin
Site Admin

#879 Post by adr-admin »

If you've worked, you can get Social Security starting at age 62.

Civil War Man

#880 Post by Civil War Man »

Jung wrote:
Dooey Jo wrote:oh, also, even more re: schools and maths. If you want to teach math as something beautiful, you first have to realise that schools couldn't teach the appearance of rainbows as something beautiful. When you are forced to do things, in a repetitive and scheduled way, for no reason you can discern, etc. etc., anything can become boring and ugly.
I remember hearing once that the modern school system sort of started out as training for a nineteenth century industrialized labor force i.e. school is a place where you're trained to sit down, shut up, obey orders, and do tedious boring tasks for hours on end.

No wonder this is terrible at instilling any kind of joy in knowledge, and may in fact have exactly the opposite effect, actively turning people off stuff they now associate with tedium and unpleasant authority.
Our schools actually don't teach knowledge. They teach trivia. Unless you luck out and get a really awesome teacher, most subjects are all about learning facts that have been completely stripped of any context.

The worst offenders are the standardized classes. Specifically math, English/Literature, science, and history, plus any non-English language classes.

I still remember one year my sister's class was assigned Moby Dick and The Scarlet Letter for summer reading. It was like the school was intentionally trying to destroy any interest in reading.

Zod
perkele

#881 Post by Zod »

adr wrote:If you've worked, you can get Social Security starting at age 62.
If it doesn't run out by then. :v

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#882 Post by Phantasee »

I don't know what retirement is. My dad is gonna work as much as he can as long as he can. He'll take more vacations and shit, maybe duck a few winters but he's not going to stop.

I'm pretty much the same way when I work, and it's not like I plan to be working for some company that expects me to retire when I'm that age. I'll be working for myself just like my father before me and his father before him. Paycheques are for your early years to help you get started up, not for lifetime income.

Retirement is a western concept that is foreign to my people.
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#883 Post by Darksi4190 »

Ok this has got me stumped. My teacher wants us to set the headers in our powerpoint presentations to display the date on the left, but it automatically displays it on the right, and there's no option to change it. I've finished everything else in this damn class so easily and this is what's got me confused?

Zod
perkele

#884 Post by Zod »

Darksi4190 wrote:Ok this has got me stumped. My teacher wants us to set the headers in our powerpoint presentations to display the date on the left, but it automatically displays it on the right, and there's no option to change it. I've finished everything else in this damn class so easily and this is what's got me confused?
Powerpoint is a horrible piece of software.

Darksi4190

#885 Post by Darksi4190 »

If she wanted the header on the slides themselves I could just move it manually. But she only wants them on the handouts and IIRC those can't be altered.

Zod
perkele

#886 Post by Zod »

just powerpoint

the rest of office is fine

RogueIce
#YOLO

#887 Post by RogueIce »

Darksi4190 wrote:If she wanted the header on the slides themselves I could just move it manually. But she only wants them on the handouts and IIRC those can't be altered.
You can just manually type it in the header box. Like so:

Darksi4190

#888 Post by Darksi4190 »

She just clarified for me that she just wants a single date. I thought she wanted one that automatically updates, and that you can't actually do that. It's not the first time her instructions have needed clarification

RogueIce
#YOLO

#889 Post by RogueIce »

Darksi4190 wrote:She just clarified for me that she just wants a single date. I thought she wanted one that automatically updates, and that you can't actually do that. It's not the first time her instructions have needed clarification
You can manually move the automatic update one to the left (just drag the box over and then left justify the text), though you'd have to do it on every page which could be rather annoying depending on the length of your presentation.

Darksi4190

#890 Post by Darksi4190 »

Not really sure. It isn;t a big part of our class and I don't really like fooling around in it.

Darksi4190

#891 Post by Darksi4190 »

RogueIce wrote:
Darksi4190 wrote:She just clarified for me that she just wants a single date. I thought she wanted one that automatically updates, and that you can't actually do that. It's not the first time her instructions have needed clarification
You can manually move the automatic update one to the left (just drag the box over and then left justify the text), though you'd have to do it on every page which could be rather annoying depending on the length of your presentation.
yeah but she doesn't actually want me to do that. I might though. My presentation is only seven slides.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#892 Post by RogueIce »

Darksi4190 wrote:
RogueIce wrote:
yeah but she doesn't actually want me to do that. I might though. My presentation is only seven slides.
Are you turning in a hard copy or the file itself? If it's a hard copy it's probably easier just to use the header thing I screen-shotted above, unless you have to turn it in on more than one day and need it to update or something.

But yeah, with only seven slides it wouldn't be too much effort to drag the automatic date over so might as well. It'd probably be more an issue if you had to do the stupid monster 20+ slide presentations.

adr-admin
Site Admin

#893 Post by adr-admin »

Phantasee wrote:I'll be working for myself just like my father before me and his father before him.
the beauty of being able to do whatever you want is if you want to work, you can

and what's great about retirement is you're financially pretty ok regardless, so if your business doesn't work out, you don't have to stress over it

i'm a business owner myself but am i my own boss? well kinda but not entirely, because i still have to deliver stuff on a regular basis to keep the customers, and i have to keep the customers to pay bills and shit

so i can't just decide "yup this month i'm going on a ROAD TRIP see ya" cuz i still have all these obligations

and that's what's beautiful that i'm really looking forward to: financial security

Straha
Lecturer

#894 Post by Straha »

Jung wrote:
Dooey Jo wrote:oh, also, even more re: schools and maths. If you want to teach math as something beautiful, you first have to realise that schools couldn't teach the appearance of rainbows as something beautiful. When you are forced to do things, in a repetitive and scheduled way, for no reason you can discern, etc. etc., anything can become boring and ugly.
I remember hearing once that the modern school system sort of started out as training for a nineteenth century industrialized labor force i.e. school is a place where you're trained to sit down, shut up, obey orders, and do tedious boring tasks for hours on end.

No wonder this is terrible at instilling any kind of joy in knowledge, and may in fact have exactly the opposite effect, actively turning people off stuff they now associate with tedium and unpleasant authority.

You should read Michel Foucault's Discipline and Punish which discusses the creation of the school system and the idea of the modern prison and does an excellent job showing how intertwined they are. It's really great stuff. PM me if you'd like a PDF version of the book.
"Is it not part of being erotically experienced, however, to know that the desire to enter the other can lead one to the wrong entrance?" - Peter Sloterdijk

"Ethics is endless, the law is terminal." - Paul Mann

Oxymoron

#895 Post by Oxymoron »

It's true I've always found there were uncanny similarities between schools and prisons...
No.

evilsoup

#896 Post by evilsoup »

fucking fuck
what
fuck
I guess this shouldn't come as a surprise
but jesus the fundamental shit that gets fucked up by capitalism fucking hell :psyduck:

adr-admin
Site Admin

#897 Post by adr-admin »

starku wrote:Too bad about all those other people I guess lol
what the hell are you talking about

adr-admin
Site Admin

#898 Post by adr-admin »

your posts are sometimes so hard for me to understand :(

but i see your point now thx

evilsoup

#899 Post by evilsoup »

actually I can't remember ever being told that
but some other things make perfect sense now
tbh i think in the UK there was a deliberate reaction against that sausage factory we need good workers school stuff starting from the 1960s and gradually becoming a sort-of consensus
unless my schools were aberrations
...though they were in fairly middle-class areas so that's certainly a possibility the truth now that I think about it

joviwan

#900 Post by joviwan »

Aaron wrote:They really don't have time to practice enough, I shoot more often the the local cops. And handguns are inherently inaccurate.

But hey, do these former Spec Ops soldiers carry a gas mask around with them? No?

Get fucked then. Guys like those are the best anti-ccw argument there is.
From the HPCA thread, didn't want to derail

Aaron, when you say handguns are inherently inaccurate, do you mean the gun itself? I was under the impression that guns more or less put bullets exactly where they're pointing, and error is 95% the shooter

<--gun noob