Driving tips

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Bounty

Re: Driving tips

#26 Post by Bounty »

When in doubt, pick front wheel drive. It's naturally inclined to understeer, which is easy to recover from if you're not a speed demon, and it gives good traction on slippery surfaces because the drive wheels are at the heaviest end of the car. Leave rear-wheel drive to racers and everything else to farmers and rally drivers.
People in glass trousers shouldn't shit bricks.

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#27 Post by Phantasee »

Bigger passenger vans tend to be RWD, and if he's renting those it'd be good to know about their traits. But yeah, almost every car on the road these days is FWD, and rental companies like to err on the side of caution.
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

timmy

#28 Post by timmy »

All passenger cars from the last thirty years that aren't Crown Vics are set up to understeer, and for a very good reason: all the safety devices work best in the event of a frontal impact.

Only through driving a particular car will you get a feel for how it can handles and how you can drive it.
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

Questor

#29 Post by Questor »

One thing to add is that the 10 and 2 thing is VERY old advice, and hasn't been true since airbags, if it was ever good advice.

timmy

#30 Post by timmy »

Control of understeer is largely knowing at what point it's going to lose front end traction. The Pulsar has excellent steering feel making this easily to predict, but then the Pulsar isn't a very heavy car.

I remember seeing the below diagram in some Subaru promotional material years ago and thinking they were having a laugh

"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#31 Post by Phantasee »

starku wrote:I was going to say stop being idiots drivi a car doesn't need fucking understeer skills

But Timmy was nicer
I just think knowing limits is usefu.

Darth Fanboy
has no method to his madness.

#32 Post by Darth Fanboy »

Driving tip for Out of State/Country drivers: Do not drive in California.

Driving tip for California Drivers: Stop being an asshole when I use my turn signal to change lanes.

Zod
perkele

#33 Post by Zod »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Driving tip for Out of State/Country drivers: Do not drive in California.

Driving tip for California Drivers: Stop being an asshole when I use my turn signal to change lanes.
You'd love Boston drivers.

Questor

#34 Post by Questor »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Driving tip for Out of State/Country drivers: Do not drive in California.

DUDE!!!!

You just told them what it was for! Why give them the secret?

Darth Fanboy

#35 Post by Darth Fanboy »

Zod wrote:

You'd love Boston drivers.
Buncha Tahds.

Darth Fanboy

#36 Post by Darth Fanboy »

Questor wrote: DUDE!!!!

You just told them what it was for! Why give them the secret?
For too long knowledge of turn signals has been cleverly concealed from Californians in the form of Driver's Education, which none seem to possess despite it being a requirement for a license (most of the time).

Questor

#37 Post by Questor »

Next thing you know, you're going to tell them about what happens when they push the button with the red triangle, and then we're going to have more of an overpopulation problem.

P.S. Can we please ask K.S. why cops insist on enforcing front license plate issues when they refuse to cite people for either dangerously jaywalking (Otherwise known as sprint in front of the moving vehicle from behind a wall) or changing lanes/turning without signals? Or how about my pet peeve: turning left from the right hand lane?

Aaron
El Duderino

#38 Post by Aaron »

Trucks. Don't cut them off or ride their ass. They can't stop as fast, aren't as agile and they can't see u back there.

A lot of them are just dicks and will force their way in. So merging etiquette, be generous for them.

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#39 Post by Phantasee »

Ha. Thanks Aaron.

Yeah, trucks have terrible visibility. Don't tailgate a truck, keep a mirror in sight. If Ye can't see you, you don't exist. Try to avoid driving beside a truck on a multi lane road. It's difficult enough for them to change lanes. (I have had to deal with people using my truck for shade when I need to change lanes, and not letting me pass ahead or behind).

Never ever get impatient and decide to change lanes in front of a truck before the lights because a loaded truck has a hell of a time trying to stop when the distance suddenly shortens by over a car length.

Shroom Man 777
The Mang, the Myth, the Legend.

#40 Post by Shroom Man 777 »

watch out since motorbikes will zwoop past you at any angle at any time

motorbikers are really fragile so even just dinging them has the potential for disaster and death especially if the motorbike driver isn't wearing a helmet and if his entire family, like wife and baby kids, are also riding with him at the same time

don't stay too far on the right side of the road since jeepneys will stop anytime anywhere to disgorge passengers because they own the road

if you get into an accidente in a dodgy part of town, don't leave the car since the other driver might shoot you

if your car craps out in a dodgy part of town, try to park it in a gas station or in front of a decent establishment so no one will steal it or murder you

its ok to honk the horn often since its pretty much saying 'hey i'm here' and signaling your presence to inattentive drivers and telling them you're passing this way or what way or overtaking

keep your eyes on the road even if you see shocking things like motorcyclists carrying livestock or poultry with them as they zoom past you

Shroom Man 777

#41 Post by Shroom Man 777 »

like so

Flagg

#42 Post by Flagg »

I love you man.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Shroom Man 777

#43 Post by Shroom Man 777 »

aside from those rules, there are no rules

anyway in some faraway towns there are rules saying that motorcyclists have to remove their helmets while driving within city/town limits so that their faces can be seen in case of masked motorcycle-riding gunmen

oh right speaking of far away towns, yeah watch out for those public buses because they say that the drivers do meth especially when driving at night which is why they drive so fucking fast and occasionally have horrible accidents where dozens of people die

Flagg

#44 Post by Flagg »

Everything's better in the Phillippines!
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Shroom Man 777

#45 Post by Shroom Man 777 »

more fun!

d'awww how cute

Shroom Man 777

#46 Post by Shroom Man 777 »

noooo

yes

Zod
perkele

#47 Post by Zod »

here i was hoping those were shops

nope :failure:

Instant Sunrise

#48 Post by Instant Sunrise »

snipe
Hi, I'm Liz!

Count Chocula
Liberal

#49 Post by Count Chocula »

Keep your eyes moving, and your mind with them.

If you're driving a van, floor the gas early and often to merge and pass, otherwise easy does it for regular stuff.

Don't yank the wheel. EVER. NEVER EVER. A frontal collision with brakes on full bind beats a rollover any day that ends with "y."

If you want to discover your vehicle's and your limits, have at it on a less-traveled road, but when you do practice, do it alone. If you fuck up you don't want to hurt a friend.

Parking lots and rain/snow are GREAT places to learn about understeer, oversteer and general control.

Oh yeah: use your f@cking turn signals! If you smoke get a f#cking ashtray you littering shitwipe.
"We've already had this discussion before. I treated you of barbaric caveman then." - Oxymoron

"He killed 80 people in 2 days"
"...he's adopted." - The Avengers

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#50 Post by Phantasee »

If you don't smoke in your house, don't smoke in your car.